Something To Think About

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Something To Think About

Post by Bobster21 »

242D25343A400 wrote: I'm still trying to figure out what Musgrove as ever done to earn a rotation shot at all?  Oft injured, and has not performed in the role successfully last year or in ST this year.

Also, trying to figure out why Feliz is considered a good 7th inning option.   Feliz hasn't done anything on the statsheet to make me feel like he's a sure anything... and from the looks of it, he looks more likely to end up in AAA than to be a dependable 7th inning guy.  To me, Feliz is pretty much certain to be a disaster.  As certain as it gets in baseball anyway.   There are a lot of guys who throw hard today.  He's not unique.  Yet I hear Joe Block talking about how Smoker, Neveraskus, and santana "just need to get the ball to Feliz" then Kontos and Rivero.   

Kontos ok, but Feliz has been nothing but terrible in the bigs, seems like just a matter of time.

I think enter Musgrove into middle of BP to compete for the 7th inning spot and see if his shoulder will hold up, option Neveraskus.    
Yes, based on last year's production, Musgrovve could be a huge upgrade in the BP, which would be a great help. But also based on last year's production, he could be a disaster as a starter and hardly worth bumping someone whose pitching adequately.
johnfluharty

Something To Think About

Post by johnfluharty »

464F475658220 wrote: I'm still trying to figure out what Musgrove as ever done to earn a rotation shot at all?  Oft injured, and has not performed in the role successfully last year or in ST this year.

Also, trying to figure out why Feliz is considered a good 7th inning option.   Feliz hasn't done anything on the statsheet to make me feel like he's a sure anything... and from the looks of it, he looks more likely to end up in AAA than to be a dependable 7th inning guy.  To me, Feliz is pretty much certain to be a disaster.  As certain as it gets in baseball anyway.   There are a lot of guys who throw hard today.  He's not unique.  Yet I hear Joe Block talking about how Smoker, Neveraskus, and santana "just need to get the ball to Feliz" then Kontos and Rivero.   

Kontos ok, but Feliz has been nothing but terrible in the bigs, seems like just a matter of time.

I think enter Musgrove into middle of BP to compete for the 7th inning spot and see if his shoulder will hold up, option Neveraskus.    

Based on what I have seen from Feliz this year so far I don't have any confidence in him as a late inning bullpen option either.  IIRC from looking at his stats, Musgrove was a pretty solid starter in the minors so I don't mind them giving him another shot, but I hope they send him on rehab to AAA for a while before adding him to the rotation.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Something To Think About

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Can't you say that about a lot of the bullpen? Brault, Glasnow, Santana, Neverauskus haven't done anything in the majors either. They have to be given a shot eventually, right?

dmetz

Something To Think About

Post by dmetz »

Brault pitched very well in AAA as a starter last year and pitched well as a starter in ST this year.  He's also pitched well in his opportunities out of the pen and as a spot start so far in 2018 vs ML hitters

What has Musgrove done to be named the #5 starter?  (Other than be a part of the Cole trade, which should mean nothing)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Something To Think About

Musgrove also pitched well in the minors. He also had success in the majors out of the bullpen. Musgrove had more amateur success being a former 1st Round pick too.

Are you knocking Musgrove because you didn't like the Cole trade? That's what it looks like.

It's a good battle. Hopefully, the competition with all the young pitchers will bring out the best going forward. Someone has to make the team and play. That's why it takes years for guys to make it and are scouted and every stat is looked at past and present.

Bobster21

Something To Think About

Post by Bobster21 »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: Musgrove also pitched well in the minors. He also had success in the majors out of the bullpen. Musgrove had more amateur success being a former 1st Round pick too.

Are you knocking Musgrove because you didn't like the Cole trade? That's what it looks like.

It's a good battle. Hopefully, the competition with all the young pitchers will bring out the best going forward. Someone has to make the team and play. That's why it takes years for guys to make it and are scouted and every stat is looked at past and present.
I don't think it looks like that at all. The discussion is whether Musgrove should bump someone out of the rotation. On what basis? He was poor last year as a starter and barely pitched in ST due to an injury. As long as the other starters are pitching adequately, I can't see any basis for anyone to bumped for Musgrove. Of course it looks better if the Pirates obtained a starter in the Cole deal. But like dmetz, I hope that's not a factor in any decision they make. Not to mention that the bullpen could sure use someone who pitched as well as Musgrove did in relief last year.
GhostofHonus

Something To Think About

Post by GhostofHonus »

"Should players lose their spot due to an injury? That is a question that has been asked for decades in every sport. In baseball, Lou Gehrig will probably say Yes, but Wally Pipp probably disagrees."

I'm thinking in hindsight even Wally Pipp wouldn't complain about the Iron Horse taking over 1st base....

I agree w/dmetz, Musgrove has done nothing to earn the starting spot unless it's a scholarship from management. If Brault's pitching warrants more starts then let Musgrove go to the pen.
dmetz

Something To Think About

Post by dmetz »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: Musgrove also pitched well in the minors. He also had success in the majors out of the bullpen. Musgrove had more amateur success being a former 1st Round pick too.

Yeah, I know why you're doing backflips about Musgrove starting.. so does anyone else that reads this board.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Something To Think About

Why is that: Because I am being fair?

You are acting like Musgrove has never had success yet he has taken the route you want for Glasnow. I am not saying to move Brault, I'm just being fair to Musgrove. The Pirates want Musgrove to start. He might have to earn that chance again and is probably the next man up if there is an injury or a struggle.
dmetz

Something To Think About

Post by dmetz »

I don't consider you a fair poster by a long shot.   Moran looks very good early here, so you don't even need Musgrove to start right away to defend the Cole trade.   I understand that is your #1 objective, but it's not my intention to criticize the Cole trade with Moran rolling with a .900+OPS and Musgrove a proven high quality pen pitcher with possible starting upside.  I mean, the pirates brass is doing backflpis about Feliz and statistically Musgrove is a much better pen pitcher...

You don't need to play defense for Neal in this situation, I know it's your natural instinct, but it's not necessary in this case.    After the first week of this season, our GM looks very good and all the naysayers about this offense, myself heavily included, look like we have no idea what we were talking about.    I'm 100% good with that

If Musgrove is the next man up, that's great. Who here is saying he should never be tried as a stater again? I'm not. He has starting upside, but hasn't don't anything recently (last year and this spring) to indicate he's ready yet to be a decent starter. Brault has.

Also, it does matter to me that Brault is a lefty in PNC and the only lefty...and it also matters to me that he can hit.