Kingham up, Moroff down

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by skinnyhorse »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote: Do you think teams will want Polanco via trade?  He is still pretty young, he is on pace for 25+ HRs, signed, and has an OPS near .800.

He is having his best season of his career so far.  The problem with him in Pittsburgh is that Meadows might be better.

Do you try to trade him or keep him as a 4th Outfielder? 

I want to see Corey Dickerson do what's he's doing a bit longer before doing something like that . . .

I think Corey has to be moved to 1st base, he is a real liability in left with his way below average arm. I think it's time to start thinking about moving Bell back to the outfield. Another possibility would be replacing Polanco with Bell and let Meadows play LF and let Osuna play 3rd against lefties. At any rate Bell should be able to play the outfield and surely he has a better arm than Corey.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

667E7C7B7B6C7D7A676670150 wrote: Do you think teams will want Polanco via trade?  He is still pretty young, he is on pace for 25+ HRs, signed, and has an OPS near .800.

He is having his best season of his career so far.  The problem with him in Pittsburgh is that Meadows might be better.

I want to see Corey Dickerson do what's he's doing a bit longer before doing something like that . . .

I think Corey has to be moved to 1st base, he is a real liability in left with his way below average arm.  I think it's time to start thinking about moving Bell back to the outfield.  Another possibility would be replacing Polanco with Bell and let Meadows play LF and let Osuna play 3rd against lefties.  At any rate Bell should be able to play the outfield and surely he has a better arm than Corey.

Dickerson is tied for first in the league with 4 outfield assists???

The Pirates said Bell won't play the outfield.  He should have been moved there last year with Osuna at 1B.  That never happened.

I can see Meadows in LF considering how large it is at PNC Park.
skinnyhorse

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by skinnyhorse »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: Do you think teams will want Polanco via trade?  He is still pretty young, he is on pace for 25+ HRs, signed, and has an OPS near .800.

I think Corey has to be moved to 1st base, he is a real liability in left with his way below average arm.  I think it's time to start thinking about moving Bell back to the outfield.  Another possibility would be replacing Polanco with Bell and let Meadows play LF and let Osuna play 3rd against lefties.  At any rate Bell should be able to play the outfield and surely he has a better arm than Corey.

The Pirates said Bell won't play the outfield.  He should have been moved there last year with Osuna at 1B.  That never happened.

Stats can be made to say anything but I've watched him during many games this year and he has cost us runs with his poor arm for sure and I can assure you he is a liability in LF.
dmetz

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by dmetz »

2B333136362130372A2B3D580 wrote: Do you think teams will want Polanco via trade?  He is still pretty young, he is on pace for 25+ HRs, signed, and has an OPS near .800.

Stats can be made to say anything but I've watched him during many games this year and he has cost us runs with his poor arm for sure and I can assure you he is a liability in LF.

OK.  well I can assure you that moving Bell back to the OF as you suggested and Dickerson to 1b would worsen the defense at both positions.   Perhaps Dickerson could eventually play 1b below average to bad, like Bell does now.   

Bell couldn't touch Dickerson defensively as an OF.

Switching their defensive positions would be totally pointless.   

Based on your post, you're advocating Dickerson at 1b, Meadows in LF, Bell in RF? Polanco to the bench? Or is it Dickerson to 1b, Polanco to LF, Bell to RF.
notes34

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by notes34 »

665458584C7E5D54595C5354350 wrote: for all the grief Polanco has been getting (much of it deserved) it's still looking like he should hit over 30 HR, and he leads the team in walks.  I fully expect him to have another hot streak. 

That said I would be okay with rolling four OFs for a while.  That's way preferable to the two we had last year. 
There is no way Polanco will sniff 30 hr's. The sooner he is gone the better. He is barely league average offensively and he stinks defensively.
notes34

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by notes34 »

695B57574371525B56535C5B3A0 wrote: Do you think teams will want Polanco via trade?  He is still pretty young, he is on pace for 25+ HRs, signed, and has an OPS near .800.

Why is that? Dickerson has been better than Polanco for several years. The comparison really isn't even very close.
notes34

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by notes34 »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: The statisticians are now looking at exit velocity, elevation angles and throwing away batting average.  Polanco is having his best season stat wise. 

Even though he has been in the league for four plus years, he is still pretty young.  He is only a year older than Bell, Moran, Osuna, and Moroff.  He is younger than Diaz and same age as Frazier, Taillon, Williams, Kingham, Crick, and Kuhl.  Most of us are giving those guys time to grow, but is done with Polanco.

This is why, in my opinion, it is a tough decision on what to do with Polanco.  He has shown signs of being an All Star type player.  Does he deserve more time? 
No he doesn't deserve more time. He is what he is. I don't see much room for improvement. When Meadows is really ready he needs to replace Polanco.
skinnyhorse

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by skinnyhorse »

2C252D3C32480 wrote: Do you think teams will want Polanco via trade?  He is still pretty young, he is on pace for 25+ HRs, signed, and has an OPS near .800.

OK.  well I can assure you that moving Bell back to the OF as you suggested and Dickerson to 1b would worsen the defense at both positions.   Perhaps Dickerson could eventually play 1b below average to bad, like Bell does now.   

Bell couldn't touch Dickerson defensively as an OF.

Switching their defensive positions would be totally pointless.   

Based on your post, you're advocating Dickerson at 1b, Meadows in LF, Bell in RF?  Polanco to the bench?   Or is it Dickerson to 1b, Polanco to LF, Bell to RF.
1st scenario makes more sense, Bell can play RF, I watch the Cardinals move there players to around all over the field, but for some reason it's such a hard thing to do for anyone else. I've watched players change positions over my years, Carpenter, Rose, Biggio, Musial, on and on. It's ridiculous to think Corey D. can't master 1st base quickly, he looks like a guy who could adapt quickly, he's a smart baseball player, the one thing he can't do is replace his throwing arm. I've seen M. Carpenter play 3rd, 2nd, and 1st base this year. I've been around baseball all my life and a good player can adapt and play multiple positions, and it shouldn't take years to do it. I've played centerfield, shortstop, and 2nd base over the years not that hard.
dmetz

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by dmetz »

Because Polanco has remade himself as an extreme fly ball hitter, I don't know if the BAbip will actually normalize, or not. It's always going to be low hitting like he does now...I think higher but still low. With his FB% now what it is and his HR/FB rate steady, he should hit 30.

Unfortunately the incompetent defense this year is killing his overall value, so hopefully that goes away and we can get a 2.5WAR player out of him, or so.
mouse

Kingham up, Moroff down

Post by mouse »

I don't see his defense improving and, given that he's an extreme pull hitter, I doubt his hitting improves enough to make up for it.