2018 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

2018 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

5D4D4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: There are a few college 1B (Beer - Clemson, Baker - TCU) power bats in the draft.  I don't know if they can play any other positions.  Baker has a broken arm, so he could fall.  Another hitter getting praised is Casas 1B/3B, a high school kid.

The Pirates can't miss on a top 10 pick.

They have more of a fail rate drafting in the top 10.

What does that mean?

Five of their six Top 10 Picks have made it to the majors.  One didn't even sign.  So, only one pick in their Top 10 failed to make it (Appel). 

There have been more flops in this organization in Round 1 than anything.  Do I have to give you the names?

Cole and Pedro are best first round picks so far under Neal. Taillon and Meadows need to be better than them.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Draft

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4757566177777B140 wrote: There are a few college 1B (Beer - Clemson, Baker - TCU) power bats in the draft.  I don't know if they can play any other positions.  Baker has a broken arm, so he could fall.  Another hitter getting praised is Casas 1B/3B, a high school kid.

What does that mean?

Five of their six Top 10 Picks have made it to the majors.  One didn't even sign.  So, only one pick in their Top 10 failed to make it (Appel). 

There have been more flops in this organization in Round 1 than anything.  Do I have to give you the names?

Yes, please.
Bobster21

2018 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

3E353D3134352E6B6D1A233B3235357439355A0 wrote: There are a few college 1B (Beer - Clemson, Baker - TCU) power bats in the draft.  I don't know if they can play any other positions.  Baker has a broken arm, so he could fall.  Another hitter getting praised is Casas 1B/3B, a high school kid.

What does that mean?

Yes, please.
Here's a list going back to 1965.

NH has had a few. The organization overall has had many.
SCBucco

2018 Draft

Post by SCBucco »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: There are a few college 1B (Beer - Clemson, Baker - TCU) power bats in the draft.  I don't know if they can play any other positions.  Baker has a broken arm, so he could fall.  Another hitter getting praised is Casas 1B/3B, a high school kid.

What does that mean?

Yes, please.

Exactly ... this franchise has screwed up or failed to develop more first round picks than many. Since Benson in 1996 (and I thought he was a major disappointment), we have yielded what? Maholm (53-73, 4.36 ERA), Walker, Cutch, Pedro, Taillion (still very infant in his career), Cole, and Meadows. That isn't a good hit rate.
SammyKhalifa

2018 Draft

Post by SammyKhalifa »

75656453454549260 wrote: There are a few college 1B (Beer - Clemson, Baker - TCU) power bats in the draft.  I don't know if they can play any other positions.  Baker has a broken arm, so he could fall.  Another hitter getting praised is Casas 1B/3B, a high school kid.

What does that mean?

Yes, please.

Exactly ... this franchise has screwed up or failed to develop more first round picks than many.  Since Benson in 1996 (and I thought he was a major disappointment), we have yielded what?  Maholm (53-73, 4.36 ERA), Walker, Cutch, Pedro, Taillion (still very infant in his career), Cole, and Meadows.  That isn't a good hit rate.

That's true, but the last ten years look much better than the ten before that (though there are some flops for sure).  Starting in 1996 seems strange.

2016 Will Craig 1B 22

2015 Kevin Newman SS 19

2015 Ke'Bryan Hayes 3B 32

2014 Cole Tucker SS 24

2013 Austin Meadows CF 9

2013 Reese McGuire C 14

2012 Mark Appel RHP 8

2011 Gerrit Cole RHP 1

2010 Jameson Taillon RHP 2

2009 Tony Sanchez C 4

2008 Pedro Alvarez 3B 2

Really wish there was at least one absolute stud in there (for our team). Maybe Meadows.
OrlandoMerced

2018 Draft

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think we're over estimating how frequently MLB 1st round picks hit. The astros essentially picked first 4 times in a row. Two busts (Appel and Aiken), but luckily got a mulligan with Aiken and snagged Bregman with the comp pick.

Sanchez is the biggest 1st round whiff for the Pirates because of how high the pick was. I have a hard time getting upset about Craig, Tucker or Newman, none have busted yet.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2018 Draft

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Tony Sanchez was a bad pick, but that draft was pretty bad in general. Just unlucky the Pirates didn't get the first pick that year to take Strasburg. 24 teams passed on Mike Trout that year.

Huntington said that was a weak draft that year and went with the strategy of selecting college bound kids and paying them. I thought it was a good strategy, but it didn't pan out at all. Players like Zack Dodson, Zack Von Rosenberg, and Colten Cain never made it. At the time the 'experts" thought they were late 1st Rd or 2nd RD picks but had college commitments. The strategy failed big time. Probably one of the worst drafts in Pirates history. Only eight guys sniffed the majors with Brock Holt being the biggest star.
dmetz

2018 Draft

Post by dmetz »

437E606D62686341697E6F69680C0 wrote: I think we're over estimating how frequently MLB 1st round picks hit. The astros essentially picked first 4 times in a row. Two busts (Appel and Aiken), but luckily got a mulligan with Aiken and snagged Bregman with the comp pick.

Sanchez is the biggest 1st round whiff for the Pirates because of how high the pick was. I have a hard time getting upset about Craig, Tucker or Newman, none have busted yet.

It will be time to get upset about Newman in 2 years, and Craig in 2-3 years.