Post by SammyKhalifa »

haha

Steven Brault

@SquidBrault

3h3 hours ago

Travis Swaggerty

Gunnar Hoglund

Braxton Ashcraft

I’m sure these guys are great players and I can’t wait to meet them. But if you don’t think the @Pirates are currently compiling the greatest baseball names draft of all time, you’re crazy. #LetsGoBucs
dmetz

Draft Thread

Post by dmetz »

I don't see that the theory of getting the HS arm is beneficial over the college arm is necessarily correct.   The idea being to get them before their arm has the mileage, but they're seemingly getting surgery as frequently as the college pitchers.

Also, There's very little chance normally a prep pitcher is as good as a college pitcher so the idea of "best available" is just guesswork. Best based on a projected UPSIDE that is more largely unknown with a HS arm.

It hasn't played out that the HS arms have faired better in this org.   Performance or otherwise.   

Making a prospect list isn't a goal or value for me.  I COULD consider that to be useful as trade value, but we haven't traded significant prospects in the past, so its kindof irrelevant where they fall on the lists. 

SammyKhalifa

Draft Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

050C04151B610 wrote: I don't see that the theory of getting the HS arm is beneficial over the college arm is necessarily correct.   The idea being to get them before their arm has the mileage, but they're seemingly getting surgery as frequently as the college pitchers.

It hasn't played out that the HS arms have faired better in this org.      

My perception is that people are more drawn to the high risk/reward of getting a guy that early
dmetz

Draft Thread

Post by dmetz »

10222E2E3A082B222F2A2522430 wrote: I don't see that the theory of getting the HS arm is beneficial over the college arm is necessarily correct.   The idea being to get them before their arm has the mileage, but they're seemingly getting surgery as frequently as the college pitchers.

It hasn't played out that the HS arms have faired better in this org.      

My perception is that people are more drawn to the high risk/reward of getting a guy that early

Sure. That seems to be the case. I'd like to see better past results, and better results of developing arms with our org. I like college players.
SammyKhalifa

Draft Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3rd rounder seems to be an all-glove, no bat SS.  Not sure we need more of those, but what do I know.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Draft Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

040D05141A600 wrote: I don't see that the theory of getting the HS arm is beneficial over the college arm is necessarily correct.   The idea being to get them before their arm has the mileage, but they're seemingly getting surgery as frequently as the college pitchers. 

Also, There's very little chance normally a prep pitcher is as good as a college pitcher so the idea of "best available" is just guesswork.  Best based on a projected UPSIDE that is more largely unknown with a HS arm.      

It hasn't played out that the HS arms have faired better in this org.   Performance or otherwise.   

Making a prospect list isn't a goal or value for me.  I COULD consider that to be useful as trade value, but we haven't traded significant prospects in the past, so its kindof irrelevant where they fall on the lists. 

It's the competition for me. I didn't face any future Division 1 pitchers in my High School and American Legion days. So, if I batted .400 or .500 was I really that good? The same goes for High School pitchers mowing down the competition. Are they that good or are the hitters that bad?

I trust the college players a little better. First, they made it to a Division 1 school. They probably got a scholarship at some point. It's a higher level of competition. Hopefully, they are a little older and more mature too. They are with guys who were all their high school team's best player so no one cares anymore.
INbuc

Draft Thread

Post by INbuc »

I am not too familiar with many of the second day draft choices, however, the Bucs took a mulligan on Oregon State 3Bman Michael Gretler, who they drafted in the 39th round in 2017.

I watched him play in the CWS and was very impressed. Good college player and evidently a good person. He should be a good man to add to the organization.

http://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/39 ... great-team
SammyKhalifa

Draft Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Looks like we're taking a lot of college juniors and seniors in these rounds today. I thought these rounds were why you overdrafted yesterday.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Draft Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6A6D415640230 wrote: I am not too familiar with many of the second day draft choices, however, the Bucs took a mulligan on Oregon State 3Bman Michael Gretler, who they drafted in the 39th round in 2017.

I watched him play in the CWS and was very impressed.  Good college player and evidently a good person.  He should be a good man to add to the organization. 

The article said the Pirates offered him 6th round money. That's pretty high. Was he drafted this year? When and where if so?
SCBucco

Draft Thread

Post by SCBucco »

474C44484D4C571214635A424B4C4C0D404C230 wrote: I am not too familiar with many of the second day draft choices, however, the Bucs took a mulligan on Oregon State 3Bman Michael Gretler, who they drafted in the 39th round in 2017.

I watched him play in the CWS and was very impressed.  Good college player and evidently a good person.  He should be a good man to add to the organization. 

The article said the Pirates offered him 6th round money.  That's pretty high.  Was he drafted this year?  When and where if so?

Drafted in the 39th round in 2014 by Boston

39th round by Pittsburgh in 2017

10th round by Pittsburgh this year

Good glove; decent to good bat ... some power. Comes from a winning program.