7/9 vs Nationals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Over his last 86 PA's his slash line is .329/.447/.657 with a 15:19 BB to K ratio.

He shows signs of being a middle of the order bat, but he's streaky.
notes34

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by notes34 »

323B33222C560 wrote: Polanco is ripping the ball.   Freese is >> Bell any game.  Marte is very good.  +1 Moroff at SS, drive one somewhere Max. 

We're going to win 2 in a row
I have not watched recently. Is this just another hot streak or has something finally changed mechanically? Is it the change he made in his placement in the box? I really want to be wrong about Polanco, this team needs him to hit.

Don't know.  I don't personally believe backing away from the plate is what is making him hit. He's been hotter than this before and been in the league a long while now, so pitchers have known his book for years.  He's a feared hitter when he's like this.  So was Pedro when he was streaking.  

He's hot.  He needs to play everyday.  Every SINGLE day and maximize this streak for as long as it lasts.  Hopefully when this does stop, he can get back on it in a week or two instead of in 1.5 months!   
That's just it, if he hasn't really made a mechanical change this is just another streak that will last a short time. I don't believe for a second that backing off the plate would fix that long swing. If he is using a shorter compact swing that would be great. If not its only a matter of time before he becomes a pumpkin again.
RichD

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by RichD »

So do we trade a hot Polanco ? I think we should . I have seen enough .
Bobster21

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by Bobster21 »

6F666E7F710B0 wrote: Polanco is ripping the ball.   Freese is >> Bell any game.  Marte is very good.  +1 Moroff at SS, drive one somewhere Max. 

We're going to win 2 in a row
I have not watched recently. Is this just another hot streak or has something finally changed mechanically? Is it the change he made in his placement in the box? I really want to be wrong about Polanco, this team needs him to hit.

Don't know.  I don't personally believe backing away from the plate is what is making him hit. He's been hotter than this before and been in the league a long while now, so pitchers have known his book for years.  He's a feared hitter when he's like this.  So was Pedro when he was streaking.  

He's hot.  He needs to play everyday.  Every SINGLE day and maximize this streak for as long as it lasts.  Hopefully when this does stop, he can get back on it in a week or two instead of in 1.5 months!   

Looks like it was a mechanical adjustment.
dmetz

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by dmetz »

Polanco is tired.  Needs to rest today vs Brewers so the Jordan Luplow can bat 5th.

In other news,  years from now Austin Meadows is going to be super two and NH, in hopefully, finally, his last year as GM, is going to be explaining again about payroll preventing us from making any worthwhile moves, even reclaimation project starters.

Why is Meadows super two and costing 10-15 million more than he otherwise would have over his arb years, you ask?

Because he was "resting" on the bench for 20+ games during a 72 win season! Brilliant!!! 

The only thing better than witnessing this happen now and knowing what's going to result from it years from now,  is having some fanboy come along and tell me NH just isn't treated fairly, has a tought job, and I shouldn't complain.  Yeay Pirates
notes34

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by notes34 »

Meadows needs to be sent down now. Polanco is hitting, and there is absolutely zero reason for Meadows to sit. Let the 3 regulars play it out until someone gets traded at the deadline.
mouse

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by mouse »

When the Pirates brought Meadows up I don't think they expected him to be too successful. I suspect they thought he would flop and could then return him to the minors and not have backlash from the player's union, etc., for letting him in the minors until the super-two ended.
dmetz

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by dmetz »

76776C7D6B2B2C180 wrote: Meadows needs to be sent down now. Polanco is hitting, and there is absolutely zero reason for Meadows to sit. Let the 3 regulars play it out until someone gets traded at the deadline.

I agree.  He should have been sent down before sitting the past 6 games.   Especially if they're going to play Luplow once in a while. 

People are going to complain regardless, but keeping him up on the bench regularly is an incredibly dumb baseball AND Financial decision.   The org is always going to gripe about resources, and he's going to be super two all because he sat on the bench a bunch of games.   That's a significant amount of additional arb money for a team crying about not being able to afford to even try reclamation project pitchers anymore.  

dmetz

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by dmetz »

I'll be crucified for saying this, but the best move would be to trade Meadows now for a nice haul.

He's put up a nice initial batting numbers which is good.  He's very very young, great.

- His BB rate is too low, even in the minors.  He's a batting average dependent hitter.

-his contact rate is good but not that good, even in the minors

- His speed doesn't play into a SB threat

- His defense looks to be bad, something that isn't likely to improve much even at his age.  Also since he's playing positions he's always played.  His defense makes him a future corner OF, not a CF.  Also, his arm is not good.   

-He still is carrying around a history of lower body injuries, things that tend to keep coming up. 

I'd punt while there's top value.  I think he's a bad bet to be a top-end type talent and this team is a couple years away from really competing (assuming it will at all).      
Bobster21

7/9 vs Nationals

Post by Bobster21 »

2D242C3D33490 wrote: I'll be crucified for saying this, but the best move would be to trade Meadows now for a nice haul.

He's put up a nice initial batting numbers which is good.  He's very very young, great.

- His BB rate is too low, even in the minors.  He's a batting average dependent hitter.

-his contact rate is good but not that good, even in the minors

- His speed doesn't play into a SB threat

- His defense looks to be bad, something that isn't likely to improve much even at his age.  Also since he's playing positions he's always played.  His defense makes him a future corner OF, not a CF.  Also, his arm is not good.   

-He still is carrying around a history of lower body injuries, things that tend to keep coming up. 

I'd punt while there's top value.  I think he's a bad bet to be a top-end type talent and this team is a couple years away from really competing (assuming it will at all).      
If everything you're saying about Meadows is true, what team is going to give a nice haul to acquire him?

Also, I don't see him as weak defensively. I know the metrics show that. But I put little faith in them. His entire MLB career in the OF consists of just 37 games without a position to call his own. The same metrics I saw also showed Pedro Alvarez to be a plus defender in 2013 with his 27 errors. And while Moran is serviceable at best at 3B, those metrics show him as being 3-4 times worse than Pedro ever was in his worst seasons. They also show Mercer as being awful defensively. But the eye test says Mercer doesn't have great range but is very steady as SS.

What I love about baseball is that you either produce or you don't. But now we have ultra modern metrics whose calculation formulas are too intricate to be understood by anyone but those who calculate them and which tell us that even players who appear to be hitting and fielding well aren't really. I prefer to go by what I see on the field. And I wouldn't trade Meadows who, if he's worthy of the nice haul you expect, would be greatly missed.