Brewers@Bucs 7/15 Sweep this series Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

Brew Crew lookin' blue. We had 'em all the way!!!!!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0521353D38540 wrote: Brew Crew lookin' blue. We had 'em all the way!!!!!

We won't know until later but this could be turning point in Brewers season. It could also mean that they will pull the trigger on getting Manny Machado.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

What an amazing win today and what an incredible week going 8-1 in your last nine games going into the break. Let’s see if this will carry over into the 2nd half starting Friday in Cincy. If anything it keeps this team relevant going into the 2nd half and still in the talk for a 2nd wildcard spot.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

Sadly I fear this will be short lived but must say I've been watching the last few games because they were fun to watch unlike the month long disaster before this. I've never seen Marte this hot even though today he seemed to be cooling off some. I wish I had faith that this team could play this well for any sustained time but I don't with our hapless manager in control. There is definitely some talent on this team but getting them to play at a high level takes a skilled manager with some fire in his belly, unfortunately CH doesn't have either. I'll watch as long as we play inspired baseball when we start going through the motions I just can't watch.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I was almost speechless as I followed along today as the 9th and 10th innings unfolded. Stunned. All of the clutch hits in the final 3 innings. Still can't believe it.

First team in MLB to sweep a 5-game series in 12 years.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

The only thing better would have been to do the exact same thing to the Flubs, or the Cards.

But I despise the Brewers too, so I'll happily take it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4D6F7C616267606F4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: The only thing better would have been to do the exact same thing to the Flubs, or the Cards.

But I despise the Brewers too, so I'll happily take it.

Happy it was a really good team they swept.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

This OF is quite good!
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

They just feel like a different team when Polanco is hitting. This has been an extended stretch for him and even when he was slumping, it seemed like some of his peripherals were indicating bad luck. That was a very long slump for him, but I am very encouraged with his play.

Bell has been solid for a while, he on the other hand did look completely lost at the plate during his slump, but his last month has been strong and he may have made the correct adjustments.

It will be very interesting to see how the starting pitching comes out of the break. Losing Thames and Braun took a huge bite out of the brewers' lineup, so they were a bit of a black hole after Shaw in the order. The Reds always give the Pirates trouble, so if they continue pitching strong next weekend, there will be reason for encouragement.

Also, the the top four guys in the bullpen right now are very good (Vazquez, Crick, Santana & Rodriguez). Glasnow and Feliz are in a little funk, but they have been pushed into low leverage roles with by the four guys mentioned before.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1429373A353F34163E29383E3F5B0 wrote: They just feel like a different team when Polanco is hitting. This has been an extended stretch for him and even when he was slumping, it seemed like some of his peripherals were indicating bad luck. That was a very long slump for him, but I am very encouraged with his play.

Bell has been solid for a while, he on the other hand did look completely lost at the plate during his slump, but his last month has been strong and he may have made the correct adjustments.

It will be very interesting to see how the starting pitching comes out of the break. Losing Thames and Braun took a huge bite out of the brewers' lineup, so they were a bit of a black hole after Shaw in the order. The Reds always give the Pirates trouble, so if they continue pitching strong next weekend, there will be reason for encouragement.

Also, the the top four guys in the bullpen right now are very good (Vazquez, Crick, Santana & Rodriguez). Glasnow and Feliz are in a little funk, but they have been pushed into low leverage roles with by the four guys mentioned before.
I have more faith in Polanco maintaining his hitting than Bell. Polanco had to change his approach. He had to move further away from the plate and adjust to a different view of pitches. He admits it took time to adjust (https://triblive.com/sports/pirates/138 ... one-of-the) but it worked. Bell's problem has been his swing. He was getting some singles but never driving the ball. His hits were grounders thru in the infield or soft bloops. Watching his swings, they were either chopping down or pulling his hands in and not extending his arms. For the past week, he's had a nice, level swing and he's driving the ball with the strength he showed last year. Hopefully, this will continue but if he returns to consistently bad swings his good hitting will stop. It would be great to have both of them continue their good hitting through the second half of the season.