MLB reporting that Archer is a Buc.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I like this deal a lot it gives the Pirates a chance to make the playoffs this year and will make them better in 2019 and 2020. Glasnow had to go period he had no role on this team and became expendable. I’m hoping the Bucs can sign Dickerson to maybe a 3 year deal in the offseason now that Meadows is gone.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I love and hate this time of year. The comment, "an asset of real value" strikes fear in my heart.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

597479686F7E69292A1B0 wrote: Maybe Kingham takes over Glasnow's role.

for the remainder of this year, maybe Chad Kuhl makes more sense in that role. His stuff should play well over 1-3 innings
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I’m traveling abroad in Italy right now. It’s 10:30 P.M., I’ve been up for about 40 straight hours because I can’t sleep on a plane, and here I am reading about Bucco baseball! I love these trades. Go get em Buccos! The team really forced Neal’s hand. I think his exact quote was, “4-4 isn’t going to cut it,” or something like that. They responded by going what...17-4 or something?
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Okay the Braves have by all accounts one of the very best farm systems in all of baseball.

They just got Gausman for their No. 14 and No. 30 prospects ... plus 2 throw-ins.

Granted, Archer is better than Gausman.

But if the deal is Meadows, Glasnow PLUS one of our top 10 prospects, I will still love having Archer but I'll feel that Neal overpaid significantly.

I just looked through our top 10 again to refresh my memory and none of those guys should be "3rd piece add-ons."
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I like the deal. Getting Archer who is not a guarantee over the length of his contract but I do believe that the last couple yrs are option yrs with decent buyouts. Think he will help the team for this year and next.

As for Meadows, you have to trade from strength to get someone of Archer's ability. Glasnow, I do hope he makes it but I am tired of waiting for him.

My only concern is the 3rd player. I too hope it is not Hayes or one of the Kevins but what about Wil Craig? Showing some power and has shown in the past he can get on base at a decent clip. A 3B when drafted and now a 1B it seems he has no place to really play on the field. But as a DH he could be a decent one.

To wrap up things up there is a trade that was made in 1964 between the Cubs and Cards. This one goes down as one of the most lopsided deals in baseball history. Mainer, Bobster and some others will attest to it. Cubs send Lou Brock and 2 others to Cards for Ernie Broglio and 2 others. Brock was yet to be a proven HOFer and Broglio was a former 20 game winner coming off an 18 win season. We all know how that turned out. Just hope this one does not turn out similarly.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

416068416A62050 wrote: I like the deal.  Getting Archer who is not a guarantee over the length of his contract but I do believe that the last couple yrs are option yrs with decent buyouts.  Think he will help the team for this year and next.

As for Meadows, you have to trade from strength to get someone of Archer's ability.  Glasnow, I do hope he makes it but I am tired of waiting for him.

My only concern is the 3rd player.  I too hope it is not Hayes or one of the Kevins but what about Wil Craig?  Showing some power and has shown in the past he can get on base at a decent clip.  A 3B when drafted and now a 1B it seems he has no place to really play on the field.  But as a DH he could be a decent one.

To wrap up things up there is a trade that was made in 1964 between the Cubs and Cards.  This one goes down as one of the most lopsided deals in baseball history.  Mainer, Bobster and some others will attest to it.  Cubs send Lou Brock and 2 others to Cards for Ernie Broglio and 2 others.  Brock was yet to be a proven HOFer and Broglio was a former 20 game winner coming off an 18 win season.  We all know how that turned out.  Just hope this one does not turn out similarly.

I read a tweet over an hr ago, that said Hayes was already told that he was not part of any deals
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

"Player of value" eh? darn it...

list of prefered 3rd pieces:

- Neverauskas

- Jose Tabata's tattoo artist

- Sean Rodriguez
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2019:

Taillon 3.53 FIP

Archer 3.48 FIP

Musgrove 3.83 FIP (2018)

Then this collection of back of the rotation guys and depth: Williams, Nova, Kuhl, Kingham.

Then Keller half way through the year if he develops.

Archer makes a big difference for this rotation.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1D36372A3129301C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: Maybe Kingham takes over Glasnow's role.

for the remainder of this year, maybe Chad Kuhl makes more sense in that role.  His stuff should play well over 1-3 innings
I agree. But while Kuhl is out, I think Kingham will fill that role. He can go back to AAA when Kuhl returns.