Lol. Dave Littlefield interviewed by the Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Who knows how complete it is, but I wonder if he started getting cocky after the Giles trade and that got him into trouble
BenM

Post by BenM »

Cam Bonifay gifted us with Derek Bell and his amazing "Operation Shutdown."

(Can you imagine how that would have gone in today's internet world?)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

64454D644F47200 wrote: Haha. 

Neither was the Titanic
LOL!!!

We'll never know what Littlefield might have done with looser purse strings. But his drafting was weak other than Cutch and Walker. The only other notable picks were Hughes, Watson and Gorzelanny. His first draft was to take Bryan Bullington #1 overall in a year with Zack Greinke, Melvin Upton Jr, Prince Fielder, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Nick Swisher and Denard Span and proclaim that Bullington had the potential to be a middle of the rotation starter. The Moskos pick was a disaster but was obviously money driven.

Then there was the Matt Morris trade. At that time rumors were spreading that Littlefield was on a very short leash and making a splash at the trade deadline was probably the only thing that could save his job. SF was trying to unload a no longer effective Morris at the end of his career and were willing to pay part of the 10+ mil left on his contract. But on the final day of the trade deadline, Littlefield seemed so desperate to make some deal that he offered to take on the entire 10+ mil for a washed up pitcher whose old team no longer wanted him. Morris had a 6.10 ERA as a Pirate the rest of 2007 and Littlefield was fired that September. NH released Morris the following April after 5 games with a 9.67 ERA as the Pirates ate the 10 mil owed Morris in 2008. The Morris deal looked like nothing more than Littlefield's desperate attempt to save his job and, since it didn't, he didn't have to work around the salary constraints it imposed on the team the following year. Littlefield has worked in the business many years and I'm sure he has some knowledge but his decision making as a GM was very suspect. 
What he did to the Pirates was near criminal and he should never been able to get another job in baseball.  I'm sure he gave several teams special deals especially SF in return for future employment he knew he was done in Pittsburg.  Slugs like him should be run out of baseball he damaged the Pirate brand for more years to come, you never get over an intentional sabotage of the team your suppose to represent.

I think you are being a bit harsh with DL.  He is not a bad or dumb person just as you are.  He just does not have the mentality to be a GM.  Ah, but he does have one great talent and that is coufing his marvelous head of hair.  Now maybe he should move on to becoming and super duper Hollywood hairstylist!  That would get him out of baseball I am sure! 8-)

He took Daniel Moskos with the 4th pick overall in 2007 as a reliever. That had nothing to do with his lack of mentality to be a GM. That was just plain stupid or bad.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Other notable 1st round picks from 2007 after Moskos was selected:

Matt Wieters

Madison Bumgarner

Jason Heyward

Rick Porcello

Todd Frazier

Josh Donaldson

It was obvious the Pirates were not going to take Wieters (who was selected next) because they did not want to deal with Scott Boras. So to rationalize his pick, Littlefied said they felt Wieters lacked the arm to be a good MLB catcher (which was a blatant lie) and that Moskos was very close to being major league ready (which was another lie). And if they actually believed what he was saying (which is doubtful) it shows that their scouting department was grossly incompetent.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: Other notable 1st round picks from 2007 after Moskos was selected:

Matt Wieters

Madison Bumgarner

Jason Heyward

Rick Porcello

Todd Frazier

Josh Donaldson

It was obvious the Pirates were not going to take Wieters (who was selected next) because they did not want to deal with Scott Boras. So to rationalize his pick, Littlefied said they felt Wieters lacked the arm to be a good MLB catcher (which was a blatant lie) and that Moskos was very close to being major league ready (which was another lie). And if they actually believed what he was saying (which is doubtful) it shows that their scouting department was grossly incompetent. 

I was worried they were going to take Ross Detwiler. Silly me.

At least the Bucs got Tony Watson in that draft. I believe he was there best pick that year.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: Other notable 1st round picks from 2007 after Moskos was selected:

Matt Wieters

Madison Bumgarner

Jason Heyward

Rick Porcello

Todd Frazier

Josh Donaldson

Wow I knew it was stupid to draft Moskos but when you look at the talent was out there it's amazing, where was the outrage from the fans, the local sports reporters, the city. Like I said before the guy should never have been able to get a job in baseball again, but obviously favors were owed him at the Pirates expense.
BenM

Post by BenM »

485052555542535449485E3B0 wrote: Other notable 1st round picks from 2007 after Moskos was selected:

Matt Wieters

Madison Bumgarner

Jason Heyward

Rick Porcello

Todd Frazier

Josh Donaldson

Wow I knew it was stupid to draft Moskos but when you look at the talent was out there it's amazing, where was the outrage from the fans, the local sports reporters, the city.  Like I said before the guy should never have been able to get a job in baseball again, but obviously favors were owed him at the Pirates expense.

I think he was criticized. I seem to remember everyone ripping him for making a signability pick whose upside was as a middle reliever.

I just looked him up and he's still pitching in the Mexican League.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

They signed Bullington #1 overall and imediately said his upside was a #3.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

11090B0C0C1B0A0D101107620 wrote: Other notable 1st round picks from 2007 after Moskos was selected:

Matt Wieters

Madison Bumgarner

Jason Heyward

Rick Porcello

Todd Frazier

Josh Donaldson

Wow I knew it was stupid to draft Moskos but when you look at the talent was out there it's amazing, where was the outrage from the fans, the local sports reporters, the city.  Like I said before the guy should never have been able to get a job in baseball again, but obviously favors were owed him at the Pirates expense.
What do you mean where was the outrage from the fans?  LOL.  Werent you around?  People were off the rails. Daniel Moskos literally received death threats.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

6A5854544072515855505F58390 wrote: Other notable 1st round picks from 2007 after Moskos was selected:

Matt Wieters

Madison Bumgarner

Jason Heyward

Rick Porcello

Todd Frazier

Josh Donaldson

What do you mean where was the outrage from the fans?  LOL.  Werent you around?  People were off the rails.  Daniel Moskos literally received death threats.
Oh yes I was around, you make my point, why were we mad at Daniel M., Littlefield (Littlebrains) made the deal he should have been ran out of town immediately, instead we wait until he gave a $10M contract to a washed up veteran pitcher that SF was willing to eat most of his salary but he took him and paid the full 10M.  The guy obviously was trying to harm the organization and should have never lasted a day beyond his picking Moskos.  If the local press had of been on the ball all hell would have been to pay for such a obvious attempt to harm the organization.  I'm not a local, and am watching from afar but something changed over time with him and it should have been obvious to most anyone close to the organization.