The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

4D4A5C545A4D0A067F58525E5653115C50523F0 wrote: Rockies play small ball, 3 straight singles with 2 outs, and lead 2-1 after 13.

Bottom of 13th and some Cub named Gore tried to steal 1st base.  Replay justifies itself with this one pitch: Gore was not hit by the pitch, had to go back to the box and strikes out.  And the Cubbies are out of the playoffs with3 straight SOs!

Cubbies and their fans are dead silent!

That was a scumbag move on his part. He knew he didn't get hit but happily trotted down to first base.

Secondly, the Cubs tying run had a lot less to do with Gore and a lot more to do with the absolutely atrocious 0-2 pitch Ottavino through to Baez. Baez had just chased a slider a foot off the plate. So he throws an 0-2 pitch that starts off down the middle and breaks over the middle-outside of the plate. That was one of the worst pitches in a long time.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Very happy the Cubs and Dodgers are out.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I wish I could have watched through to the end of the game, but it was like 75 hours long.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Now if only the A's can find a way to take out the Yankees, all will be right in the world. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutch and Walker get rings.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5E56556274517679170 wrote: Now if only the A's can find a way to take out the Yankees, all will be right in the world. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutch and Walker get rings.

I cannot wait to hear the uproar after the Yankees had such a great season and then saw it go down the drain because of one good pitching performance in a one game playoff.

Cry me a river, yaknow? But MLB will change it after this, because Yankees.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am no Cubs fan by any means, but I was surprised that Maddon had a pinch runner for Rizzo in the eighth. Sure the runner came around to score, but taking that big bat out of the lineup does not make any sense to me.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote: Now if only the A's can find a way to take out the Yankees, all will be right in the world. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutch and Walker get rings.

I cannot wait to hear the uproar after the Yankees had such a great season and then saw it go down the drain because of one good pitching performance in a one game playoff.

Cry me a river, yaknow?  But MLB will change it after this, because Yankees. 
If that's what it takes to change the format, I'm all for it. WC should at least be 2 out of 3. 1 game playoffs in baseball are bad because of the pitching situation. Steve Carlton (27-10, 1.97 ERA) would have beaten anyone in a 1 game playoff in 1972 for the 97 loss Phillies. Terrible format.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

794B47475361424B46434C4B2A0 wrote: Now if only the A's can find a way to take out the Yankees, all will be right in the world. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutch and Walker get rings.

I kind of hate the one game playoff because I think the Pirates were very real contenders when they got taken out by Arrieta. I think it is unfair to really good teams in divisions with other really good teams but these one game playoffs are exciting. Even if the Yankees lose, I don't think they are changing it. Maybe if it is an Oakland-Colorado world series and the ratings tank they may tweak it but, even if not fair, the format works for excitement.

I get the Yankee hate but I would be really happy for Neil and Cutch if they get a ring, particularly if they are real contributors. They were good players, helped end the streak and only had solid reputations for being good in the community.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Now if only the A's can find a way to take out the Yankees, all will be right in the world. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutch and Walker get rings.

If that's what it takes to change the format, I'm all for it. WC should at least be 2 out of 3. 1 game playoffs in baseball are bad because of the pitching situation. Steve Carlton (27-10, 1.97 ERA) would have beaten anyone in a 1 game playoff in 1972 for the 97 loss Phillies. Terrible format. 

What I'm calling BS on is that nobody cared when it happened to the Pirates, but there will be national stories when it happens to the Yanksox.  Do you think it is a coincidence that they expanded the playoffs just when it was looking like Tampa was going to be good for a while?  Or that they altered the draft when Boston complained that us getting Josh Bell wasn't fair (LOL). Anything to keep BostonNYY in the playoffs. 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

073539392D1F3C35383D3235540 wrote: Now if only the A's can find a way to take out the Yankees, all will be right in the world. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Cutch and Walker get rings.

What I'm calling BS on is that nobody cared when it happened to the Pirates, but there will be national stories when it happens to the Yanksox.  Do you think it is a coincidence that they expanded the playoffs just when it was looking like Tampa was going to be good for a while?  Or that they altered the draft when Boston complained that us getting Josh Bell wasn't fair (LOL).  Anything to keep BostonNYY in the playoffs. 
Sure. But I hate the WC format so much that I won't mind if they change it because of the Yankees. They might not change it for any other reason but it would benefit all of MLB.