Bucs trivia and/or This Date in Pirate History . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

67464E674C44230 wrote: This on about Danny Murtaugh.  Danny was a journeyman infielder that included the Bucs in his playing days.  He was also the 3B coach over the course of two seasons and then managed the Bucs to victory in the 60 & 71 series.

Danny was one guy who was not afraid to get into it with the umpires.  He was tossed 30 times over the course of his entire MLB career.  Can you name the first ump to eject Danny and also the last ump to eject Danny and the reason for those ejections?  The answer is not in Bobster's book.
You got me on that one Possum. But on the topic of Murtaugh. here's some trivia that is in my book and is worth mentioning. The Bucs had been the laughingstock of MLB throughout the 1950s. Murtaugh replaced Bobby Bragan on 8/3/57 to beome the team's 4th manager in 8 years following Billy Meyer, Fred Haney and Bragan. He inherited a team that was 36-67 (.350) with 51 games left. Under Murtaugh the rest of the way they went 26-25 (.510). That's really an unbelievable turn around. Especially for a guy getting his first taste of managing in MLB and inheriting a team that's been horrible for years including right up to the day he took over. The immediate impact Murtaugh had was on the pitching staff. Bragan, like many managers at that time, sometimes used his starters as relievers. When Murtaugh took over in 1957, Ron Kline was 2-15 with a 4.82 ERA while performing double duty. Under Murtaugh the rest of the season, Kline was exclusively a starter with a 7-1 record and a 2.77 ERA. In his first full season as manager in 1958, Murtaugh took the formerly laughable Pirates to 2nd place in the 8-team NL and was named Associated Press Mgr of the Year. And 2 years later he won a WS. Sometimes I wonder if Murtaugh's popularity with the players and fans overshadows what a truly outstanding manager he was.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

153835242332256566570 wrote: This on about Danny Murtaugh.  Danny was a journeyman infielder that included the Bucs in his playing days.  He was also the 3B coach over the course of two seasons and then managed the Bucs to victory in the 60 & 71 series.

Danny was one guy who was not afraid to get into it with the umpires.  He was tossed 30 times over the course of his entire MLB career.  Can you name the first ump to eject Danny and also the last ump to eject Danny and the reason for those ejections?  The answer is not in Bobster's book.
You got me on that one Possum. But on the topic of Murtaugh. here's some trivia that is in my book and is worth mentioning. The Bucs had been the laughingstock of MLB throughout the 1950s. Murtaugh replaced Bobby Bragan on 8/3/57 to beome the team's 4th manager in 8 years following Billy Meyer, Fred Haney and Bragan. He inherited a team that was 36-67 (.350) with 51 games left. Under Murtaugh the rest of the way they went 26-25 (.510). That's really an unbelievable turn around. Especially for a guy getting his first taste of managing in MLB and inheriting a team that's been horrible for years including right up to the day he took over. The immediate impact Murtaugh had was on the pitching staff. Bragan, like many managers at that time, sometimes used his starters as relievers. When Murtaugh took over in 1957, Ron Kline was 2-15 with a 4.82 ERA while performing double duty. Under Murtaugh the rest of the season, Kline was exclusively a starter with a 7-1 record and a 2.77 ERA. In his first full season as manager in 1958, Murtaugh took the formerly laughable Pirates to 2nd place in the 8-team NL and was named Associated Press Mgr of the Year. And 2 years later he won a WS. Sometimes I wonder if Murtaugh's popularity with the players and fans overshadows what a truly outstanding manager he was.   

What I liked about Danny was he was Irish and was a real scrapper and I loved that chew he always had in his cheek!
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Loved old Danny Murtaugh and enjoyed seeing him working that Redman chew and strolling out to the mound or home plate to voice his convictions. He had a lot of character! 8-)