Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

002A21112630303C530 wrote: I've been persuaded to board the Marwin Gonzalez train! His versatility creates a place for him after Polanco's return. He's got some power.

A longer look at Lonnie Chisenhall has scared me off due to injury concerns.

So, I made an impact on you. :)
mouse

Post by mouse »

And then there is Hunter Pence. He intends to play winter ball in the off-season, reinvent his swing, and find a place to play next year.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5E5C464056330 wrote: And then there is Hunter Pence. He intends to play winter ball in the off-season, reinvent his swing, and find a place to play next year.

This would be typical BMTIMLB dumpster diving!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

597F7E697F6F1C0 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

Give me Marwin Gonzales.  Is versatile enough when Polanco comes back, he can move around in the infield.  Can play 1st, 2B and SS ... in a pinch 3B too.  Too logical.
Yup. He’s the guy I think they should target. Veteranosity and versatility for Clint.

tell him our missing ingredient is World Series experience.  He made 5 million this season, maybe $22 over 3 years, 26 over 4 years would do it.
The Gonzalez signing makes more sense because Huntington said yesterday that Stallings is out of options so they may carry 3 catchers in 2019. If that is so, now there are only three remaining bench player spots open on the 25 man roster. Let’s assume they get Kang to return, and Reyes is the super utility player, they are down to one player to back up shortstop or first base. Gonzalez would fit that role very well. Cervelli  as well could be a back up at first base.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

434F4E151C151D10170812250 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

Give me Marwin Gonzales.  Is versatile enough when Polanco comes back, he can move around in the infield.  Can play 1st, 2B and SS ... in a pinch 3B too.  Too logical.
Yup. He’s the guy I think they should target. Veteranosity and versatility for Clint.

tell him our missing ingredient is World Series experience.  He made 5 million this season, maybe $22 over 3 years, 26 over 4 years would do it.
The Gonzalez signing makes more sense because Huntington said yesterday that Stallings is out of options so they may carry 3 catchers in 2019. If that is so, now there are only three remaining bench player spots open on the 25 man roster. Let’s assume they get Kang to return, and Reyes is the super utility player, they are down to one player to back up shortstop or first base. Gonzalez would fit that role very well. Cervelli  as well could be a back up at first base.

I wonder how good of a glove they want for short. Neal said Kang is only going to play third (I don't know why they would limit him this far in advance of season).
mouse

Post by mouse »

My hope would be that they want a good glove. The Pirates give up a lot of runs due to sloppy play, bad play, and sometimes just strange play. It would be nice to see people who can actually play defense at their position. The Cardinals have always prided themselves on good defense as the backbone of their team. They feel this season's difficulties can be traced in part to weakened defense. Maybe we can take a lesson from their playbook and tighten things ourselves.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

4945441F161F171A1D02182F0 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

I can’t believe they’re going to make roster decisions based on Jacob Stalings. He’s the definition of a replacement level player. I agree that you need three catchers on your 40 man roster. But, there’s got to be someone available out there who can offer as much production as Stallings that isn’t out of options, or some retread who would accept a MiLB assignment, someone like Lavarnway.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1E16152234113639570 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

I can’t believe they’re going to make roster decisions based on Jacob Stalings. He’s the definition of a replacement level player. I agree that you need three catchers on your 40 man roster. But, there’s got to be someone available out there who can offer as much production as Stallings that isn’t out of options, or some retread who would accept a MiLB assignment, someone like Lavarnway.

I like Stallings though, even though you're right in that he's probably nothing special.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

74464A4A5E6C4F464B4E4146270 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

I like Stallings though, even though you're right in that he's probably nothing special.

I like Stallings, too. But I don't see the point in putting him (or any other third catcher for that matter) on the 25 man roster, unless they are ready to move on from Cervelli. It just seems to me to be a wasted roster spot. I suppose it theoretically frees Cervelli or Diaz (whoever isn't starting on a particular day) to pinch hit. But it still seems pointless to me.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I wonder if that might be GM talk. It could be he's planning to hear offers on either Diaz or Cervelli. I doubt there's much of a market for Cervelli but I could see Diaz bringing back someone.