Penguins v. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by BenM »

4656576076767A150 wrote: Among everyone else's thoughts which are true, the Pens got four generational talents to build from (Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin) with their picks and add to that MAF and Jordan Staal to a lesser extent.  The Pens are in this win now mode and have been for the last six to seven years.  They mortgage the future to acquire ready talent.  Their GM isn't afraid to make moves, where as the Pirates GM is.  I know, I know ..  Chris Archer.  A few years ago, the Pirates had their opportunity to build on success from that 95 win season, but chose to let go players and not acquire anything significant to keep the momentum going.  They don't want to try.

Another thing is that Mario as an owner is willing to move on from GMs who don't meet his high standards. Even if they have had success in the past. And those GMs have done likewise with coaches.
Bobster21

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by Bobster21 »

0F2823004D0 wrote: Among everyone else's thoughts which are true, the Pens got four generational talents to build from (Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin) with their picks and add to that MAF and Jordan Staal to a lesser extent.  The Pens are in this win now mode and have been for the last six to seven years.  They mortgage the future to acquire ready talent.  Their GM isn't afraid to make moves, where as the Pirates GM is.  I know, I know ..  Chris Archer.  A few years ago, the Pirates had their opportunity to build on success from that 95 win season, but chose to let go players and not acquire anything significant to keep the momentum going.  They don't want to try.

Another thing is that Mario as an owner is willing to move on from GMs who don't meet his high standards. Even if they have had success in the past. And those GMs have done likewise with coaches.

Good point. Nutting has a very low standard. When his GM said the annual goal is to win 78-82 games (48-51%) and hope to occasionally overachieve--and wasn't fired for setting such a low standard--it shows this is the goal of the organization from the owner on down. It's actually hard to fail when winning 48% of your games meets the standard. After following the 98 win season by reducing the talent level and winning 78 and 75 games the next 2 years, NH was rewarded with a 4-year extension. This is how Nutting runs his organization. As Freese and Harrison noted last spring, there is no emphasis on winning.
BenM

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by BenM »

Remember the secret contract extensions? Not exactly a way to be accountable to your fans.
IABucFan

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by IABucFan »

1C0C0D3A2C2C204F0 wrote: Among everyone else's thoughts which are true, the Pens got four generational talents to build from (Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin) with their picks and add to that MAF and Jordan Staal to a lesser extent.  The Pens are in this win now mode and have been for the last six to seven years.  They mortgage the future to acquire ready talent.  Their GM isn't afraid to make moves, where as the Pirates GM is.  I know, I know ..  Chris Archer.  A few years ago, the Pirates had their opportunity to build on success from that 95 win season, but chose to let go players and not acquire anything significant to keep the momentum going.  They don't want to try.

Don't forget guys like Letang and Gonchar. the Pens have also demonstrated an ability to go out and get top end talent, like Marian Hossa and Jarome Iginla. The Pens had a lot of luck in drafting Crosby and Malkin. I often wonder what would have happened if the Bucs had sucked just a little bit more and been able to draft Harper instead of Taillon. What year was that? 2010? I don't remember. But, would he have put them over the top in 2015? Perhaps.
IABucFan

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by IABucFan »

I think another key point in the NHL/MLB debate is that it is statistically easier to make the playoffs in the NHL than to miss them. There are 31 teams in the NHL, and 16 make the playoffs, 51.6% of teams. 10 of 30 teams in MLB make the postseason, 33.3%. And four of those teams have a one and done game which isn't anything remotely like the grind of 162 they've played to get to that point.
Ecbucs

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by Ecbucs »

1C1417203613343B550 wrote: Among everyone else's thoughts which are true, the Pens got four generational talents to build from (Mario, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin) with their picks and add to that MAF and Jordan Staal to a lesser extent.  The Pens are in this win now mode and have been for the last six to seven years.  They mortgage the future to acquire ready talent.  Their GM isn't afraid to make moves, where as the Pirates GM is.  I know, I know ..  Chris Archer.  A few years ago, the Pirates had their opportunity to build on success from that 95 win season, but chose to let go players and not acquire anything significant to keep the momentum going.  They don't want to try.

Don't forget guys like Letang and Gonchar. the Pens have also demonstrated an ability to go out and get top end talent, like Marian Hossa and Jarome Iginla. The Pens had a lot of luck in drafting Crosby and Malkin. I often wonder what would have happened if the Bucs had sucked just a little bit more and been able to draft Harper instead of Taillon. What year was that? 2010? I don't remember. But, would he have put them over the top in 2015? Perhaps.

even if not Harper the Bucs could have had Machado, he was selected with pick 3.
IABucFan

Penguins v. Pirates

Post by IABucFan »

I know...personally, I wanted Machado. I've seen too many pitchers not pan out or reach their potential. Even when they do, they tend to develop slower than position players. So for a team like Pittsburgh, just about the time they reach their full potential, they are playing their way out of town (see Cole, Gerrit).

I'd rather draft the can't miss position player (especially when he plays a premium position like Machado) and trust that you can find a diamond in the rough to put on the mound.