Looking ahead to 2019 aka Hot Stove Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4F5F5E697F7F731C0 wrote: Moustakas has a $15 Million Mutual Option for 2019

I think he takes it and Milwaukee wants him back based on the options at third for free agents, but who knows?

A mutual option: I’m going to show my ignorance but what is accomplished with a mutual option? :-?

Wouldn’t both parties be able to settle on $14M or $16M if that’s what they need to do a deal? Or, why “accept” a 1 year option when they could agree on any length? It just seems that the “mutual” part cancels out any real impact on the option and it is no different then receiving a FA offer.
rucker59@gmail.com

7A5C5D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: Moustakas has a $15 Million Mutual Option for 2019

So the Pirates just need to give him an incentive to decline the option (we'll pay you $18 million)......

Is Trevor Williams for real (if so it is a fantastic story).....

Taillon seems to have taken a big step forward this season, can he improve?.....

Musgrove and Archer both have potential to be better but will they be?.....

With all these questions it is hard to figure out what is the best thing to do but probably the most impactful change would be to find a good hitter with power. Polanco leads the Bucs with 23 homers which ranks 46th in majors.  By end of season that might rank 80th.

If you’re correct about offering an incentive to Moustakas, then he’s effectively a FA. The Pirates badly need power. A lefty bat like Moustakas would be a huge upgrade. Would the Pirates EVER enter into a true FA bidding war?

I think Williams is the real deal. He’s not going to have a 0.00 ERA, but I can’t believe this season is a fluke.

Talion, Musgrove and Archer can all improve, IMHO. And I think they will.
rucker59@gmail.com

And a good come-back win tonight to win in a 10th inning walk-off!

Jacob Stallings with the walk off single.

These young guys are fun to watch. And there’s some talent it seems.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I’m still paying attention. I’d like to see them finish above .500. Two more games against the Royals, three with the Reds, three with the Brewers whom they have owned this year. I think they do it. Hey, they could win out...finish 88-74.They Jade the playoffs in 2014 with that record! ;D
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Great thread. A few thoughts ...

* This team still needs more starting pitching.

* Absolutely need to bring Nova back. Cannot allow solid pitching to walk out the door at this point.

* It doesn't make any sense that the Pirates play in PNC Park and don't have a lefty starter. They need one.

* Archer has got to be good. He needs to be very good. This is an absolute priority for multiple reasons.

* I'm starting to develop trust for Taillon and Williams.

* Don't have trust for Musgrove yet.

* Overall, starting pitching CAN be a major strength if NH can make the right tweaks.

* I love our bullpen.

* I'm actually Ok with Diaz and Stallings, but Cervelli will be back because no one else will take him.

* You just have to leave Bell at 1B and trust (and pray) that he figures it out.

* I'm willing to give Frazier the 2b job.

* I like Hechavarria and I'd be willing to bring him back at SS while Newman (hopefully) grows into the role of starter.

* I really thought Moran would be better. Agree with others. DEAR NH PLEASE GO OUT AND GET MOUSTAKAS.

* Polanco injury is a killer. He is our only TRUE power threat. I don't feel like we can go into the season by just giving Luplow the RF job for the first 3 months. NH needs to go out and find some LH power who can not embarrass himself in RF.

* Marte certainly has his flaws, but this team has lots of problems and Marte is not even in the top 10. Just leave him in CF.

* Keep Dickerson in LF. He's not great by any means but he strikes me as professional hitter who loves Pittsburgh. Similar to Marte, there are more pressing issues.

* BOTTOM LINE FOR ME:

1. Need to add power

2. Need an effective plan to replace Polanco (with power)

3. Need a LH starter

4. Pray that Newman is ready to be a MLB starter, that Frazier can pick it at 2B, and that Bell remembers how to hit.

There is POTENTIAL for a big season in 2019. But a lot has to go right, and NH has to do something. He simply CANNOT go with status quo. He's got to spend $$$ and make a few smart moves.

rucker59@gmail.com

785A49545752555A794E5858543B0 wrote:

* I really thought Moran would be better. Agree with others. DEAR NH PLEASE GO OUT AND GET MOUSTAKAS.

* Polanco injury is a killer. He is our only TRUE power threat. I don't feel like we can go into the season by just giving Luplow the RF job for the first 3 months. NH needs to go out and find some LH power who can not embarrass himself in RF.

There is POTENTIAL for a big season in 2019. But a lot has to go right, and NH has to do something. He simply CANNOT go with status quo. He's got to spend $$$ and make a few smart moves.

I propose Matt Adams if he has the arm for RF. He won't be terribly costly and once Polanco is back, Adams can get his ABs by subbing in at 1st base as well as RF.

Adams and Moustakas batting at PNC would change this team immediately. With the pitching staff in great shape, Neal finally has the opportunity to build a team for PNC - with Polanco, Bell, Adams and Moustakas - Neal could put that lefty power throughout the lineup.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm definitely bullish on the pitching staff. Taillon has proved he's a top of the rotation guy. Archer has pedigree and will battle next year. Williams and Musgrove are perfect middle of the rotation starters in the national league, and Nova has really bounced back in the second half and could probably be placed anywhere behind Taillon in this rotation. There are plenty of back of the bullpen options, just starting out with Vazquez, Kela, Crick, Santana and Rodriguez means the other two spots can be filler.

I think this gives them a floor of around 75-80 wins. The offense and defense is a problem.

Dickerson, Marte and Cervelli are professional hitters. You have to pencil them in. Diaz's emergence is so vital because it gives the Pirates the opportunity to play Cervelli for his upside because if he were to go down, they have a valid starter behind him. Stallings also looks like a potential ML backup.

I watched the game last night, I thought Kramer and Luplow looked terrible. Getting eaten up with inside pitches and at least with Luplow, making some bad outs. Although, they both did lace a couple of balls, I'd like to see more before I consider them ready to take over a starting role. Unfortunately, I think you have to count on Bell bouncing back, on both sides of the ball, but he's a guy that I think will improve. Moran, eh. He's a stop gap, I think they should try to bring back Freese if the Dodgers decline the option. I would give Reyes a chance to win the job at 2B, he seems like a Brock Holt type of player that can help you win games in a number of ways.

Ultimately, they have a bunch of pieces to potentially use to fill out the lineup (Frazier, Newman, Reyes, Moran, Kramer, Luplow), but if this group is being used to occupy RF, SS, 3B, and 2B next year on a daily basis, they will not contend.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

494E58505E490E027B5C565A5257155854563B0 wrote:

I propose Matt Adams if he has the arm for RF.  He won't be terribly costly and once Polanco is back, Adams can get his ABs by subbing in at 1st base as well as RF.

Adams and Moustakas batting at PNC would change this team immediately.  With the pitching staff in great shape, Neal finally has the opportunity to build a team for PNC - with Polanco, Bell, Adams and Moustakas - Neal could put that lefty power throughout the lineup.

Great idea on Adams. Power bat that should be reasonably affordable.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6562747C7265222E57707A767E7B3974787A170 wrote:

I propose Matt Adams if he has the arm for RF.  He won't be terribly costly and once Polanco is back, Adams can get his ABs by subbing in at 1st base as well as RF.

Adams and Moustakas batting at PNC would change this team immediately.  With the pitching staff in great shape, Neal finally has the opportunity to build a team for PNC - with Polanco, Bell, Adams and Moustakas - Neal could put that lefty power throughout the lineup.

I live in State College, not too far from Matt's hometown. I have been told that Adams has zero desire to play for the Pirates.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

I think they need to fill the RF hole left by Polanco, especially if he could be out until mid-June.

FA OF's that I think would work would by Carlos Gonzalez or A.J. Pollock. Both are affordable and if/when Polanco comes back, would give us a strong 4th outfielder.

As far as another SP goes, I would go after Patrick Corbin. 29 years old, lefty, made $7.5M this year. Maybe they could go 3 years $36M or 4 for $48M.