Bryce Harper's contract is for thirteen years.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Really think Philly will regret the 13 year deal in year six or seven, if not sooner.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I’ll say one thing...for all the hype, Bryce Harper isn’t close to being the best player in baseball.
BenM

Post by BenM »

636B685F496C4B442A0 wrote: I’ll say one thing...for all the hype, Bryce Harper isn’t close to being the best player in baseball.

Agreed. Trout has never finished outside of the top four in MVP voting, including his rookie year. Harper better enjoy his record contract while it lasts, because Trout is going to break it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

66414A69240 wrote: I’ll say one thing...for all the hype, Bryce Harper isn’t close to being the best player in baseball.

Agreed. Trout has never finished outside of the top four in MVP voting, including his rookie year. Harper better enjoy his record contract while it lasts, because Trout is going to break it.

true, but if the Pirates have a player put up an average Bryce Harper season this year (279/388/512 for 900 ops) they most likely will make the playoffs. I think the Phillies are betting he has at least a few seasons better than that in his future.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Here's an interesting quote from mlbtr.com. I can't remember if this is Nutting speaking or the Phillies principal owner --

“I’ve made enough money in my life,” Middleton told Boras during negotiations. “I don’t need to make more. My franchise value has risen dramatically over the last 25 years. I don’t need it to rise more. I’m here to win. I think your guy can help me win, and that’s all I want to talk about.’”
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

The 2021 strike can't come soon enough for me.  shut it all down

-Auto strike zone

-Arb sooner. FA sooner

-Soft Salary floor (with draft pick penalties for going under)

-Soft Salary cap  (with luxury tax penalties for going over)

-Minor league pay minimum dramatically increased.

-More revenue sharing

-DH both leagues

-26 team roster until Sept - 13 pitcher roster limit (6 man rotation possible)

Also, sharks with friggen laser beams attached to their heads and 1 free beer/beverage included in the ticket price per MLB guidelines.   

P.S.  I would certainly take a hard cap and hard floor, but it seems impossible for multiple reasons.  Not least of which includes our fearless owner and the rest of the "small market gang" not challenging the system.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

252C24353B410 wrote: The 2021 strike can't come soon enough for me.  shut it all down

-Auto strike zone

-Arb sooner. FA sooner

-More revenue sharing

-DH both leagues

Also, sharks with friggen laser beams attached to their heads and 1 free beer/beverage included in the ticket price per MLB guidelines.   

P.S.  I would certainly take a hard cap and hard floor, but it seems impossible for multiple reasons.  Not least of which includes our fearless owner and the rest of the "small market gang" not challenging the system.

I still hold that the revenue sharing is the key. Everything else succeeds or fails based on that.

But I agree with you. Show some guts for a change and don't declare that everything is fine.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

39303829275D0 wrote: The 2021 strike can't come soon enough for me.  shut it all down

-Auto strike zone

-Arb sooner. FA sooner

-More revenue sharing

-DH both leagues

1. Auto Strike zone, yes

2. Arb/FA sooner, no...this will hurt the Pirates

3. Soft salary floor/cap, yes

4. MiLB pay increase, yes

5. DH both leagues, absolutely not. I hate, loathe, despise (pick a stronger adjective if you can think of one) the DH. There’s no strategy. I can’t watch the AL game. I hate it. I’m sure the NL will eventually get the DH, but I dread that day. #banthedh

6. 26 man roster, no...I think it’s perfect at 25.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

444C4F786E4B6C630D0 wrote: The 2021 strike can't come soon enough for me.  shut it all down

-Auto strike zone

-Arb sooner. FA sooner

-More revenue sharing

-DH both leagues

1. Auto Strike zone, yes

5. DH both leagues, absolutely not. I hate, loathe, despise (pick a stronger adjective if you can think of one) the DH. There’s no strategy. I can’t watch the AL game. I hate it. I’m sure the NL will eventually get the DH, but I dread that day. #banthedh

I don't like the DH either, but if it's a trade-off to get a better economic system I would . . . . hmm, consider it (can't get myself to commit fully).
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: The 2021 strike can't come soon enough for me.  shut it all down

-Auto strike zone

-Arb sooner. FA sooner

-More revenue sharing

-DH both leagues

1. Auto Strike zone, yes

I don't like the DH either, but if it's a trade-off to get a better economic system I would . . . . hmm, consider it (can't get myself to commit fully).

I wouldn’t do it...it’s not the system, it’s the owner. The Pirates rake in dough. Comparable teams in comparable markets spend more than the Bucs. I honestly don’t think the economic system will have any impact as long as Nutting is signing the checks, or lack thereof.

The DH takes a major strategic element out of the game. The AL game is about sitting back and just waiting for a three run bomb. No moving runners over, no working around somebody to get to the pitcher, no having to decide if you want to pull a guy for a pinch hitter or keep him in, giving up a potential big inning. In short, it’s boring. But even though I’m a millennial, I guess I’m not the “right” kind of millennial that MLB is appealing to.

If MLB really wants to appeal,to a younger generation, stop worrying about pace of play, trying to increase offense, etc, etc, etc. Just get rid of blackouts...here’s a novel idea...give fans access to your games!