Pirates vs Dbacks 5/15

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Pirates vs Dbacks 5/15

Post by steve49 »

052825343322357576470 wrote: Archer seems to be the RH version of Steven Brault today. Lots of walks and runs early. Getting really tired of waiting for him to become the pitcher he used to be in 2013-15. As it looks now, a Meadows for Archer even up trade would have been a bad deal. Archer seems to be the mediocre pitcher he's been since 2016. And this year he's added a lack of control. He entered the season with a career mark of 2.9 walks per 9 innings. Right now he's at 4.7 for the season.   >:(

People laughed when I said that Glasnow would be > Archer within a year.

I will never get over that trade as only an idiot would sell low on his 2 best prospects and buy high on a pitcher that no longer looked to be a top of the rotation guy.

One again , I will say the Pirates did this instead of increasing payroll. The fans were angry that ownership did not care about winning and this was the Pirates answer to that.
I agree with that. At the time of the trade, it seemed like the Pirates were going to upgrade their roster. Archer was a nice addition but not enough to make the Bucs a legit contender. But they didn't make any more substantial moves after the trade last year or in the off season. So the trade seems like a half-hearted effort to appease the fans who were frustrated that they wouldn't trade prospects for a big name player. Even if Archer was having an All-Star season, they would still need more. But they were quite content to trade for a utility infielder (Gonzalez) and make him the SS. So if they weren't going to add enough, why make the trade at all? In hindsight, adding Archer was not part of a plan to build a legit contender. So it looks more like a PR move. ("There! We traded for a big name pitcher. Now leave us alone.")

Yeah , if they thought ("leave us alone" is probably correct) this trade would actually help attendance , they are dumber than I thought.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Dbacks 5/15

Post by Bobster21 »

73746576653439000 wrote: Archer seems to be the RH version of Steven Brault today. Lots of walks and runs early. Getting really tired of waiting for him to become the pitcher he used to be in 2013-15. As it looks now, a Meadows for Archer even up trade would have been a bad deal. Archer seems to be the mediocre pitcher he's been since 2016. And this year he's added a lack of control. He entered the season with a career mark of 2.9 walks per 9 innings. Right now he's at 4.7 for the season.   >:(

People laughed when I said that Glasnow would be > Archer within a year.

I will never get over that trade as only an idiot would sell low on his 2 best prospects and buy high on a pitcher that no longer looked to be a top of the rotation guy.

One again , I will say the Pirates did this instead of increasing payroll. The fans were angry that ownership did not care about winning and this was the Pirates answer to that.
I agree with that. At the time of the trade, it seemed like the Pirates were going to upgrade their roster. Archer was a nice addition but not enough to make the Bucs a legit contender. But they didn't make any more substantial moves after the trade last year or in the off season. So the trade seems like a half-hearted effort to appease the fans who were frustrated that they wouldn't trade prospects for a big name player. Even if Archer was having an All-Star season, they would still need more. But they were quite content to trade for a utility infielder (Gonzalez) and make him the SS. So if they weren't going to add enough, why make the trade at all? In hindsight, adding Archer was not part of a plan to build a legit contender. So it looks more like a PR move. ("There! We traded for a big name pitcher. Now leave us alone.")

Yeah , if they thought ("leave us alone" is probably correct)  this trade would actually help attendance , they are dumber than I thought.
The thing to remember about Archer is that he hasn't been a premier pitcher since 2015. His first few seasons with TB were very impressive and he gained a lot of attention. But his stats have been pretty ordinary in 2016, 2017 and at the time of the trade in 2018. TB dangled him as trade bait all last season but didn't pull the trigger until the last minute of the trade deadline. Obviously, NH's offer was the best they received. That's not surprising because NH seemed to be trading for name recognition rather than performance. It sounded good to trade for Archer but the fact is, he hasn't been better than average in several years. I guess other GM's were smart enough not to offer the farm so NH's offer blew them away. I don't know why we should expect Archer to now regain abilities he hasn't shown since 2015.
rucker59@gmail.com

Pirates vs Dbacks 5/15

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Well, after yesterday’s fiasco, I’m all in favor of Musgrove starting on short rest. In fact, as often as possible.