Pirates vs Rockies 5/23

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates vs Rockies 5/23

Post by Bobster21 »

Nice to be able to win despite yielding 6 runs. Bell is such a best right now! Also getting consistent offense from Moran, Cabrera, Diaz and Reynolds.

Bell is also fielding the ball better. Throwing is still an issue but he made a good throw home the other day (when Cervelli's throw hit the runner and ruined the rundown). I'm wondering if there's a correlation between his great hitting and better fielding. Last year he was pressing so hard as a batter, always tinkering with his swing and just trying to make contact wherever the ball was pitched, which resulted in weak contact. He struggled all season. Now he looks very relaxed at the plate with a consistent, powerful swing. And he's making good plays at 1B. Maybe he's just more relaxed and confident in the field now that he's not pressing and worried about his hitting.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Rockies 5/23

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1126302015323D3A3D1412530 wrote: I second the playing time of Brian or Bryan Reynolds! I would not send him down...He is coming up with some big hits, fielding is above average, decent base runner too. What is there not to like?

I hope they cut Chisenhall as I think his best days are behind him and play Polanco, Marte, Reynolds and Melky in the OF. Just my two cents worth! Beat'em Bucs 8-)

I'm of two minds about this.  I want him to play and develop. 

However:

Bryan Reynolds

vs RHP  .236/.311/.418 (.730 OPS)

vs LHP  .500(!)/.536(!!)/.885 (1.420)

His numbers aren't terrible vs righties and of course he can improve, but there are better options on the team.  It's clear all his actual damage is coming against lefties.

Polanco is weaker against lefties than righties (though still OK).  Melky is almost totally even vs both hands. Marte is absolutely awful against LHP right now (.342 OPS) so maybe we can cover center now and then. 
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs Rockies 5/23

Post by SteadyFreddy »

67424141547F424A485F2D0 wrote: This team has shown more resilience than any other I can recall. We have had 20 different players hit the DL and we haven’t even finished May. With the exception of that 8 game slide, this team has rebounded time and time again after getting pummeled.

You have to respect the fortitude of this team.

They deserve an all in backing from ownership!!!! I agree this team has shown a ton of backbone every time they need a win and have a couple bad games. This is gonna be a big challenge this weekend with the Dodgers coming into town. The Pirates desperately need to get good starts out of both Musgrove who I expect to pitch well, and especially Chris Archer on Sunday. The Pirates are really going to have to play good baseball this weekend if they hope to have any shot of beating the Dodgers 2 out of 3 and winning this series.