Pirates vs Reds - Game 2 of DH 5/27

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

674A47565140571714250 wrote: It probably would have been better to start Keller in the afternoon game instead of making him wait all day to make his debut. He seemed to be very nervous at the beginning of the game. Making him wait thru an entire afternoon game while thinking about making his debut later that evening didn't help the nerves. 

I'm of that line of thinking as well. His first start, either way, was going to be against a very good lineup in Cincy or Milwaukee next.

I don't like the way the organization develops arms - starters. We have had some modest success with Cole. Benson to me was a bust. He was the next coming at the time. JVB, Burnett, Bullington, Bradley, Maholm ... some had injuries, while others never grasped it for whatever reason. Glasnow looks like a totally different pitcher in Tampa. Now we are onto Keller.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4858596E7878741B0 wrote: It probably would have been better to start Keller in the afternoon game instead of making him wait all day to make his debut. He seemed to be very nervous at the beginning of the game. Making him wait thru an entire afternoon game while thinking about making his debut later that evening didn't help the nerves. 

I'm of that line of thinking as well.  His first start, either way, was going to be against a very good lineup in Cincy or Milwaukee next.

I don't like the way the organization develops arms - starters.  We have had some modest success with Cole.  Benson to me was a bust.  He was the next coming at the time.  JVB, Burnett, Bullington, Bradley, Maholm ... some had injuries, while others never grasped it for whatever reason.  Glasnow looks like a totally different pitcher in Tampa.  Now we are onto Keller.

Yes, the problem goes back a long way. Long before the Nutting, NH regime and I doubt any of those in the development process before Nutting took over are still in place. And yet the same problem persists.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: It probably would have been better to start Keller in the afternoon game instead of making him wait all day to make his debut. He seemed to be very nervous at the beginning of the game. Making him wait thru an entire afternoon game while thinking about making his debut later that evening didn't help the nerves. 

I was thinking this exact point. I think it’s harder for a roomie pitcher to debut on the road, because you have to sit around and wait for the top of the first before taking the mound. The Lirstes compounded that for the young man by making him sit through an entire game. That said, first inning aside, I liked what I saw. Once the nerves calmed down, he was fine.