Pirates vs Brewers 6/1, 4:05 start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1303023523232F400 wrote: Good news: Diaz is now hitting .292.      :)

Bad news: Kingham's ERA is now 8.91.   >:(

Diaz should play every day.  It is time.

It was time last year.  Diaz is a better catcher.  You won't get an argument from me.  However, who do you think we see after Cervelli comes back ... Diaz or the guy making 10 million per?

Actually, I expect Diaz to be the primary catcher with Cervelli playing frequently for a backup. Here's why: Cervelli is a FA after the season and won't be back. Rather than seeing him walk after the season, they would like to get something, however minimal, for him. More important than the slight return on a trade is that they would get out of paying him for August and September (with the new trade deadline 7/31). For most teams, that wouldn't be enough $ to matter but the Pirates released Nicasio 2 years ago in September in order to save only enough to cover the minimum rookie salary. So no amount of money is too little for Nutting to salivate over. The obvious move would be to play Cervelli as much as possible to showcase him. But with Cervelli, that only increases the risk of injury which decreases the probability of moving him. So I expect them to play him only enough to make him viable to other teams who might want a catcher (even if just a backup) who only has to be paid for 2 months.
BenM

Post by BenM »

73545F7C310 wrote: This game has been absolutely bonkers.

Still true.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Fun game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm comforted by the fact that Rodriguez and McRae are still in the BP.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: I'm comforted by the fact that Rodriguez and McRae are still in the BP.

I would rather have Basil McRae on the mound than the one we have.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The longer this game goes you just don’t feel good about things going the Pirates way. Frustrating Vazquez couldn’t slam the door shut when it was 10-8.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Huge blown opportunity there by the Bucs bases loaded one out and Marte and Bell both can’t deliver. The Pirates really needed to win the game there.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

A couple of our Big Dogs have played their worse game.

Nightmare blowing a save with a two run lead.

Bell, honestly he looked bad every at bat, looked like last year. He didn’t need a HR tonight, just a single and 1 RBI.

Marte played a great game, but killed game winning opportunities twice.

McRae gave everything he had. Can’t blame him. The Pirates lost this game in the bottom of the 12th with Marte and Bell in the box.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea you knew that eventually McRae was gonna give up the lead. With Marte and Bell both up there in the 12th with the bases loaded you knew if they didn’t win it there they probably weren’t going too. This is a tough loss tonight to battle back down 5-0 and get the lead 7-5 and 10-8 and not find a way to win this game sucks big time.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

out homered 5-2. McRae had one of his best games. Just needed to get one more out.

Disappointing loss. But team did show a lot of never give up.

I don't remember the number of games that the team has lost when leading after 8 but it must be at least 6 or 7.