Lonnie Chisenhall signs with Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

646869323B323A37302F35020 wrote: Agree  Good 4th outfielder but if Reyes does not make the team out of spring who is the backup center fielder?
Just a guess, but if Marte got hurt during a game, Frazier would move to centerfield, and I would expect a phone call would be made to Indy to recall Reyes for the following day. I am including Reyes in my projected opening day roster.
I think Reyes is almost a lock for the opening day squad. The only way I think he wouldn't go north from ST is if they acquired a new starting SS and used Gonzalez as their super sub. Otherwise, with Frazier at 2B regularly, Reyes is the favorite for that sub role.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: Agree  Good 4th outfielder but if Reyes does not make the team out of spring who is the backup center fielder?
Just a guess, but if Marte got hurt during a game, Frazier would move to centerfield, and I would expect a phone call would be made to Indy to recall Reyes for the following day. I am including Reyes in my projected opening day roster.
I think Reyes is almost a lock for the opening day squad. The only way I think he wouldn't go north from ST is if they acquired a new starting SS and used Gonzalez as their super sub. Otherwise, with Frazier at 2B regularly, Reyes is the favorite for that sub role.

Yeah, talk about making the most out of the chance you're given . . . I doubt he was on most radars before about last July or so.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

083A36362210333A37323D3A5B0 wrote: Agree  Good 4th outfielder but if Reyes does not make the team out of spring who is the backup center fielder?

Yeah, talk about making the most out of the chance you're given . . . I doubt he was on most radars before about last July or so.
Reyes began in the organization as a SS but then got moved to 2b and then to a utility INF-OF. That wasn't a good sign as his glove just wasn't playing at any 1 position. But they liked his bat. His bat and versatility got him called up last year but I suspect they weren't expecting a lot from him. It was a very SSS but he sure opened eyes. The bat was never in question and he made a few spectacular catches in the OF. So now unless they have someone else who can play all 3 OF spots adequately and even the INF when needed, it looks like Reyes should at least have the opportunity to hold onto that role. Whether he sustains it or not is the question, but he certainly did make the most of his chance last season.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I liked what I saw of Pablo Reyes late last year! Hope he continues in the days to come! Beat'em Bucs 8-)
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This free agent signing is going to go down as one of the worst the Bucs ever made. It is a good thing that it wasn’t more than a one year agreement, and in baseball terms it was not alot of money, but I am wondering if Chisenhall will ever play a major league game for the Pirates. I believe that last thing written about him was that he was home recovering from his injury. He is not even with the team getting treatments from the medical staff.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

515D5C070E070F02051A00370 wrote: This free agent signing is going to go down as one of the worst the Bucs ever made. It is a good thing that it wasn’t more than a one year agreement, and in baseball terms it was not alot of money, but I am wondering if Chisenhall will ever play a major league game for the Pirates. I believe that last thing written about him was that he was home recovering from his injury. He is not even with the team getting treatments from the medical staff.

I don't know that it's a worst sigining. Sue we're not getting anything out of it, but I mean I'm sure they even have an insurance policy on his contract and it's costing nothing. It's a good example of why it's good to have several options. Because of our redundancy in the OF it really hasn't hurt us, and if he comes back, fine.

If you want to look at worst signings go back and remember why Cam Bonifay was fired. ;D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4C40411A131A121F18071D2A0 wrote: This free agent signing is going to go down as one of the worst the Bucs ever made. It is a good thing that it wasn’t more than a one year agreement, and in baseball terms it was not alot of money, but I am wondering if Chisenhall will ever play a major league game for the Pirates. I believe that last thing written about him was that he was home recovering from his injury. He is not even with the team getting treatments from the medical staff. They need to tell Chisenhall you at least need to start getting treatment here from the Medical staff and be with the team. Him being at home and not getting any kind of treatment is ridiculous and this is another guy the Pirates should just wash their hands of and cut ties as soon as possible given the current outfield situation. Chisenhall has no business at this point even being on the team. Cut the guy admit your mistake and move on.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1F38292D28350A3E292828354C0 wrote: This free agent signing is going to go down as one of the worst the Bucs ever made. It is a good thing that it wasn’t more than a one year agreement, and in baseball terms it was not alot of money, but I am wondering if Chisenhall will ever play a major league game for the Pirates. I believe that last thing written about him was that he was home recovering from his injury. He is not even with the team getting treatments from the medical staff. They need to tell Chisenhall you at least need to start getting treatment here from the Medical staff and be with the team. Him being at home and not getting any kind of treatment is ridiculous and this is another guy the Pirates should just wash their hands of and cut ties as soon as possible given the current outfield situation. Chisenhall has no business at this point even being on the team. Cut the guy admit your mistake and move on.

That's what it sounds like from the outside (the him staying at home part) but not being privvy to internal stuff I''m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that there are things going on there.

As far as cutting him . . . why? He's not costing a roster spot. If he never gets better he never will. If he does than see what he's got.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would sure like to know if they do hold an insurance policy on his contract. I am not sure if all player contracts are covered by insurance. If he is just getting paid for sitting at home that is crazy. He could be in Pittsburgh to make appearances to hospitals, schools etc.