Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by Bobster21 »

555D5E697F5A7D721C0 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

Yes, he may be an A$$ but he usually gets his players some great contracts.

You're right Possum. But I pity the many teams that were dumb enough to deal with him and pay many of those "great" contracts. Prince Fielder anyone? Hasn't turned out really great for Keuchel so far either ...

Remember when he called Pedro Alvarez a "special" talent, or something like that?

Speaking of Pedro, I'm just reminiscing here, but he actually could have been a special player. Crazy power. He did lead the league of homers one year, IIRC. He participated in a home run derby. He was an NL All Star one year. He won a Silver Slugger. He actually had a pretty good glove for a time at third, with an absolute cannon for an arm, as long as he knew where it was going. What could have been...in hindsight, Pedro had a good year, and then couldn't get out of his own way psychologically. He had a huge hole in his swing, couldn't hit lefties to save his life, and in general, was a bust compared to what he was sold as coming out of the draft by Bora$$, major media pundits, and others.
I agree about Pedro's psychological issues. As a hitter, he was very strong. And that was all. His chronically low batting averages revealed how infrequently he hit safely. But he was strong enough to hit the ball over the fence when he got hold of it. Even when his 36 HRs led the league, he hit only .233. Most of his HRs were on pitchers' mistakes right down the middle. He seemed to have poor pitch recognition and just swung hard in case he hit anything. He was strong enough that balls that might have been caught on the warning track for others went over the fence for him. Otherwise, his low batting averages would have been even lower. He wasn't a guy who hit a lot of doubles because when he made contact but didn't catch the ball at the right launch angle, he wasn't driving balls into gaps. Basically just a bad hitter who was strong enough to hit the ball a long way at those infrequent times when he hit something.

I don't disagree about that. My comment was more in reference to Boras. He oversells his clients. He oversold Pedro. In hindsight, Pedro was a good player, in fact, a good supporting cast member of the three WC teams, but he was so bad defensively in 2015 that he didn't start the WC game, and as you say, his hit tool was so bad that it overshadowed his power tool. unless a guy hung a breaking ball or threw him a fastball, he was pretty much an easy out.
Yes, definitely oversold by Boras, which increased expectations. The Pirates expected him to be a franchise hitter. But the reality was that he was best suited as a #6 or #7 hitter for a team with strong hitting that didn't rely on him but could benefit from whatever power he provided. That's how the Orioles used him in 2016, as a platoon player who batted 6th or 7th. They had plenty of power with Trumbo, Jones, Davis, Machado, Schoop and Wieters and whatever they got from Alvarez was gravy. But unfortunately for Alvarez, that seemed to cement his image in MLB as a fringe player and greased the skids for his exit from MLB.
BenM

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by BenM »

50585B6C7A5F7877190 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

You're right Possum. But I pity the many teams that were dumb enough to deal with him and pay many of those "great" contracts. Prince Fielder anyone? Hasn't turned out really great for Keuchel so far either ...

Remember when he called Pedro Alvarez a "special" talent, or something like that?

Speaking of Pedro, I'm just reminiscing here, but he actually could have been a special player. Crazy power. He did lead the league of homers one year, IIRC. He participated in a home run derby. He was an NL All Star one year. He won a Silver Slugger. He actually had a pretty good glove for a time at third, with an absolute cannon for an arm, as long as he knew where it was going. What could have been...in hindsight, Pedro had a good year, and then couldn't get out of his own way psychologically. He had a huge hole in his swing, couldn't hit lefties to save his life, and in general, was a bust compared to what he was sold as coming out of the draft by Bora$$, major media pundits, and others.
I agree about Pedro's psychological issues. As a hitter, he was very strong. And that was all. His chronically low batting averages revealed how infrequently he hit safely. But he was strong enough to hit the ball over the fence when he got hold of it. Even when his 36 HRs led the league, he hit only .233. Most of his HRs were on pitchers' mistakes right down the middle. He seemed to have poor pitch recognition and just swung hard in case he hit anything. He was strong enough that balls that might have been caught on the warning track for others went over the fence for him. Otherwise, his low batting averages would have been even lower. He wasn't a guy who hit a lot of doubles because when he made contact but didn't catch the ball at the right launch angle, he wasn't driving balls into gaps. Basically just a bad hitter who was strong enough to hit the ball a long way at those infrequent times when he hit something.

I don't disagree about that. My comment was more in reference to Boras. He oversells his clients. He oversold Pedro. In hindsight, Pedro was a good player, in fact, a good supporting cast member of the three WC teams, but he was so bad defensively in 2015 that he didn't start the WC game, and as you say, his hit tool was so bad that it overshadowed his power tool. unless a guy hung a breaking ball or threw him a fastball, he was pretty much an easy out.

That's his job. The Pirates are under no obligation to listen to him. That's why they have a scouting division.
Bobster21

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by Bobster21 »

4562694A070 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

That's his job. The Pirates are under no obligation to listen to him. That's why they have a scouting division.

Absolutely correct! That's why Boras makes the big bucks. Just one of many examples of the Pirates not doing a very good job of identifying and developing prospects.
IABucFan

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by IABucFan »

46616A49040 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

I know that. I'm not saying otherwise. The draft is a crapshoot. All I'm saying is that coming out of the draft, Pedro was billed as a stud. Good for Boras for doing his job. He wasn't a stud. But the Pirates were kind of in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, too. Had the Pirates not signed hm, the uproar from fans would have been insane. They signed him, and it turns out he wasn't very good. Maybe with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, they should have used the pick on someone else, but that's the nature of the draft. It's a crapshoot every year. Maybe Priester wins four Cy Youngs. Maybe he never makes the majors. No one knows at this point.
DemDog

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by DemDog »

Pedro's downfall with the Bucs was not only Boras but also his sudden wildness with the Steve Sax disease on his throws from 3B.
Ecbucs

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by Ecbucs »

161E1D2A3C193E315F0 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

the thing is Boras should be able to oversell to fans. He shouldn't be able to oversell to baseball management.
rucker59@gmail.com

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I like Neal, but when asked by Brownie on his radio show about Keuchel his answer was just infuriating: “small mkt teams can’t compete with big mkt teams”. No specifics. No acknowledgement that small mkt teams do compete for important pieces. No acknowledgement that Cleveland, Mil, KC and plenty of other small mkt teams Have done so.

Just a “too bad” and that’s it.
Bobster21

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by Bobster21 »

2C2B3D353B2C6B671E39333F3732703D31335E0 wrote: I like Neal, but when asked by Brownie on his radio show about Keuchel his answer was just infuriating: “small mkt teams can’t compete with big mkt teams”. No specifics.  No acknowledgement that small mkt teams do compete for important pieces.  No acknowledgement that Cleveland, Mil, KC and plenty of other small mkt teams Have done so.

And yet, he'll also say that he slashes payroll to gain financial flexibility. But they never use that flexibility, preferring to sit on their pile of money instead of using it to improve the roster. I think the area in which NH's particular small market team cannot compete with larger market teams for even one single player is in the competitive aspect. That is, NH's team obviously doesn't try to compete. Players like Keuchel aren't interested in hitching their wagon to a loser.
SteadyFreddy

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I’ve simply had it with both Huntington and Hurdle and I think both need to go and have both reached their expiration date unfortunately with this owner both of these guys are safe and aren’t going anywhere.
rucker59@gmail.com

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

456865747362753536070 wrote: I like Neal, but when asked by Brownie on his radio show about Keuchel his answer was just infuriating: “small mkt teams can’t compete with big mkt teams”. No specifics.  No acknowledgement that small mkt teams do compete for important pieces.  No acknowledgement that Cleveland, Mil, KC and plenty of other small mkt teams Have done so.

And yet, he'll also say that he slashes payroll to gain financial flexibility. But they never use that flexibility, preferring to sit on their pile of money instead of using it to improve the roster. I think the area in which NH's particular small market team cannot compete with larger market teams for even one single player is in the competitive aspect. That is, NH's team obviously doesn't try to compete. Players like Keuchel aren't interested in hitching their wagon to a loser. 

Seems to me....AJ and Russell Martin opened the door for the Pirates to pursue FAs. Keuchel probably would laugh at a call from Neal. Every player wants a shot at winning. The Pirates have created this reality but it’s only theirs. When Neal lumps all small mkt teams together, he’s lying to the fans.