Buccos @ Braves - 6/12 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Really a shame that on Crick's 3-1 pitch to Riley for the tying HR in the 9th, the ump had missed 2 pitches. 3 of those first 4 pitches to Riley were in the strike zone. Another sad display of umpire incompetence.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7F786E66687F38344D6A606C6461236E62600D0 wrote: Bell wins it in the top of the 9th with a HR!

Crick blows it by giving up a HR in the bottom of the 9th!

>:(

I don't understand why Nightmare didn't stay in the game and try and save Crick for Thursday.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

250302150313600 wrote: Bell wins it in the top of the 9th with a HR!

I don't understand why Nightmare didn't stay in the game and try and save Crick for Thursday.
I find it very strange too. But Hurdle has always been a poor strategist. I suspect Hurdle, in full knowledge of his awful BP, didn't like his chances in extra innings and knew he had Marte, Bell and Cabrera due up in the 9th. If he could prevent the Braves from scoring in the 8th, he would take his chances with winning it in the 9th. And apparently, he only trusted Vazquez to hold the Braves in the 8th. Otherwise Crick would have pitched the 8th. It almost worked when Bell gave them a lead in the 9th. But then Hurdle turned the 9th over to the guy he hadn't trusted in the 8th. Vazquez hadn't pitched since June 6 and was certainly well rested. His 17 pitches in the 8th shouldn't have prohibited him from going 1 more inning. But we should also note that Crick pitched a very good sequence to Riley, throwing 3 strikes in the first 4 pitches. But instead of a strikeout, the inept ump called 2 of the strikes balls and then Cricked grooved a 3-1 pitch for a HR to a batter who should have walked back to the dugout a pitch earlier. But flip-flopping Vazquez and Crick from their normal roles made no sense. But that's Hurdle.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: Bell wins it in the top of the 9th with a HR!

I find it very strange too. But Hurdle has always been a poor strategist. I suspect Hurdle, in full knowledge of his awful BP, didn't like his chances in extra innings and knew he had Marte, Bell and Cabrera due up in the 9th. If he could prevent the Braves from scoring in the 8th, he would take his chances with winning it in the 9th. And apparently, he only trusted Vazquez to hold the Braves in the 8th. Otherwise Crick would have pitched the 8th. It almost worked when Bell gave them a lead in the 9th. But then Hurdle turned the 9th over to the guy he hadn't trusted in the 8th. Vazquez hadn't pitched since June 6 and was certainly well rested. His 17 pitches in the 8th shouldn't have prohibited him from going 1 more inning. But we should also note that Crick pitched a very good sequence to Riley, throwing 3 strikes in the first 4 pitches. But instead of a strikeout, the inept ump called 2 of the strikes balls and then Cricked grooved a 3-1 pitch for a HR to a batter who should have walked back to the dugout a pitch earlier. But flip-flopping Vazquez and Crick from their normal roles made no sense. But that's Hurdle.

I was thinking with a day game today that it would be good to have one of them totally fresh if possible. since he chose Vazquez let him finish game and don't have to worry about him coming back too soon the next day. Maybe Clint wanted to give Crick a chance for a save.

I believe the bullpen has lost more games already this season than it did last year.

The Braves broadcasters gave Pirate starters stats on year as 16-24 with ERA over 6 or something like that.