Pirates vs Cardinals 7/17

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I'm gonna guess that that Goldschmidt bomb is the nail in the coffin on the Pirates 2019 season. Too many injuries. If Taillon, Kuhl, and Santana are healthy, I think the pitching is much better.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

5D6F63637745666F6267686F0E0 wrote: Why Michael Feliz there. I mean where is Rodriguez who has been really good recently, where is Crick or even Vazquez for that matter?? Just another terrible move by Hurdle that will yet again most likely costs the Pirates this game and a huge series win they really needed. I really don’t wanna hear Hurdle say guys were unavailable today after this game as a reason why he used Feliz there with the off day tomorrow and the All Star Break just last week.

???

Feliz hasn't (hadn't) given up an earned run since June 22.
He was the culprit that gave up the inherited runners in Archer's last start, and he gave up Liriano's today. So yes, he hadn't given up his own runs, but he has not been good his last couple times out.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This is the tenth game they have lost this year when leading after 6 innings. That is bad!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7B4B475C5C414665495B5B280 wrote: Why Michael Feliz there. I mean where is Rodriguez who has been really good recently, where is Crick or even Vazquez for that matter?? Just another terrible move by Hurdle that will yet again most likely costs the Pirates this game and a huge series win they really needed. I really don’t wanna hear Hurdle say guys were unavailable today after this game as a reason why he used Feliz there with the off day tomorrow and the All Star Break just last week.

???

He was the culprit that gave up the inherited runners in Archer's last start, and he gave up Liriano's today. So yes, he hadn't given up his own runs, but he has not been good his last couple times out.

Feliz is not good enough to put him in the game in a high leverage situation like today on a consistent basis and for you to expect him to get big outs. He just doesn’t do it enough. This was an important game today and Hurdle yet again didn’t treat it like such. Why not use Vazquez there in the 7th inning and let him try and get an 8 out save. You have an off day tomorrow and Vazquez hasn’t pitched hardly at all in the last 10 days. Think outside the box at times and just win the game today which Hurdle never does. Instead we end up with another game which was close and winnable where we had the lead late where Vazquez wasn’t used. Another game managed by Hurdle where he just doesn’t give his team a chance to win consistently enough. It’s infuriating to watch time and time again Hurdle screw up his usage of the bullpen in an important game.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

It's a damn shame that the BP left Archer down again today. He was magnificent not just on the mound but with the bat. I think that some of the kids in the low minors could pitch better than most of our bullpen.

My hat is tipped to Archer for his gutty performance today.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

587F6E6A6F724D796E6F6F720B0 wrote: Why Michael Feliz there. I mean where is Rodriguez who has been really good recently, where is Crick or even Vazquez for that matter?? Just another terrible move by Hurdle that will yet again most likely costs the Pirates this game and a huge series win they really needed. I really don’t wanna hear Hurdle say guys were unavailable today after this game as a reason why he used Feliz there with the off day tomorrow and the All Star Break just last week.

???

Feliz is not good enough to put him in the game in a high leverage situation like today on a consistent basis and for you to expect him to get big outs. He just doesn’t do it enough. This was an important game today and Hurdle yet again didn’t treat it like such. Why not use Vazquez there in the 7th inning and let him try and get an 8 out save. You have an off day tomorrow and Vazquez hasn’t pitched hardly at all in the last 10 days. Think outside the box at times and just win the game today which Hurdle never does. Instead we end up with another game which was close and winnable where we had the lead late where Vazquez wasn’t used. Another game managed by Hurdle where he just doesn’t give his  team a chance to win consistently enough. It’s infuriating to watch time and time again Hurdle screw up his usage of the bullpen in an important game.

8 out save ? I don't ever think I've seen a closer pitch the 9th and come in the following day for an 8 out save. Maybe at the end of the year in World Series but that would really be as you say "outside the box" if Hurdle did that yesterday. I would have went with Rodriguez.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

When the deal with Houston happened and Feliz's name was mentioned coming back, I laughed and said we have the second coming of Cammeniero. Well, I'd rather have Archemidies than Feliz. The bullpen is crap.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It was an encouraging outing for Archer but 3 runs in 6 innings (4.50 ERA) is not even better than average. But at least he hit well today. The BP is so bad it seems unless they use Vazquez, the BP is probably going to blow the game. We have to hold our breath every time Archer starts and hope he is at least average and whenever the BP enters the game.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Archer has been a lot better his last two starts but like you said Bobster he still gave up 3 runs and another big 2 out homer to O Neil that was a big deal that made a 2 run lead only a 1 run lead and as you said with this bullpen being as bad as it has been so far this season asking them to hold a one run lead for 2 or more innings has become almost impossible.

Plus, it doesn’t help when the manager uses one of your worst arms in the bullpen with the game on the line instead of guys like Rodriguez who has been really good recently and like I said using Vazquez an inning or two sooner could have made a difference as well but don’t tell that to Hurdle because he apparently didn’t think so.  And yet again the Pirates go another game where they had the lead in the 7th inning and end up losing and Vazquez who is dominant and can probably pitch more then one inning in a game you desperately need to win doesn’t get used at all and Hurdle could care less because winning a critical series against a division opponent who you are neck and neck with in the standings for a wildcard spot to Hurdle is just not that important. Not saying Clint doesn’t want to win, I just don’t think he minds losing either and that kind of mentality for me is just not good enough for a manager who has been here almost 10 years now.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

17302125203D02362120203D440 wrote: Archer has been a lot better his last two starts but like you said Bobster he still gave up 3 runs and another big 2 out homer to O Neil that was a big deal that made a 2 run lead only a 1 run lead and as you said with this bullpen being as bad as it has been so far this season asking them to hold a one run lead for 2 or more innings has become almost impossible. Plus, it doesn’t help when the manager uses one of your worst arms in the bullpen with the game on the line instead of guys like Rodriguez who has been really good recently and like I said using Vazquez an inning or two sooner could have made a difference as well but don’t tell that to Hurdle because he apparently didn’t think so.  And yet again the Pirates go another game where they had the lead in the 7th inning and end up losing and Vazquez who is dominant and can probably pitch more then one inning in a game you desperately need to win doesn’t get used at all and Hurdle could care less because winning a critical series against a division opponent who you are neck and neck with in the standings for a wildcard spot to Hurdle is just not that important.
In just about every game, it seems Hurdle manages as if it just isn't very important. He does so many things that seem to put his team at a disadvantage that it's like he's playing a video game where it's fun to win but ultimately doesn't matter. And I think that stems from the top. Winning isn't important enough to Nutting to make it worth spending more than minimal payroll. Hurdle knows he won't have the roster he needs to seriously challenge for a championship or even a post season spot. Last year Hurdle had to piece together an OF with 2 OFers and an infielder. This year he had to piece together a rotation with Lyles off the scrap heap and no AAA depth. And his BP is so bad it doesn't matter who he uses other than Vazquez who is kept in the BP only to collect save stats instead of trying to get the team out of jams that will lose the game and prevent the save opportunity he's being held back for from occurring. Hurdle has never been a good dugout manager and it doesn't help that he seems to know the games don't really matter as long as Nutting is turning a profit.