Pirates vs. Phillies - 7/21 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

18343C3B3017203626550 wrote: This season is likely going to limp to its conclusion; a sub 500 record and more disappointments compared to excitement.

That said, this season has yielded some unexpected performances; particularly Newman and Reynolds, who could be building blocks moving forward.  While no one should have expected Bell's super-human performance over the first 3 months to continue, he is no longer driving the ball like he did earlier in the year and the extent of his drop-off is somewhat troubling.

So --- the Bucs likely have only 2 or 3 big trade chips that could pique the interest of competing teams and yield a real return: 1) Vasquez, 2) Marte and 3) the unthinkable, take offers on Bell.

Clearly, both Vasquez and Marte would attract real interest, but I get the hesitancy to move either or both, particularly Vasquez.  Bell, however, could be a real prize with his years of control and performance.  What would Bell command on the open market? 

Now that my head has returned from the clouds, more realistically, I believe the Bucs should consider the following:

1)  See if there is interest in Frazier.   The Bucs have infield options for next year.

2)  Dickerson's hitting has picked up a bit.  See if there is interest in Dickerson.  Reynolds would be the LF'er next year with Polanco in right (Polanco has no trade value this year).

3)  Pursue a trade of Cabrera.  Teams may offer something for a good hitter and PH who is signed to a cheap contract.  Cabrera is not a building block and may not be worth the contract bump that he would earn next year by resigning with the Pirates. 

4)  See what type of interest there is in Moran.  Moran has been a good hitter this year.  Bucs can consider this move because of Hayes, and because Osuna can help out.  I don't believe Kang has any value in trade or really any value going forward. 

5)  Shop Liriano, Rodriguez and Crick.  Relievers are always in demand this time of year.  You don't need to trade Rodriguez or Crick, but you should find out what they are worth.

6)  Shop Lyles because he is on a 1 year contract.  Someone may like his versatility as both a starter and reliever.

I see no reason in trying to move Archer or Williams whose value are likely at an all-time low, and I would propose keeping the inconsistent Musgrove who has the makings of someone who could become more consistent.

Oh well, in the next week or so the real question likely will be how much time I should devote to watching the Bucs the rest of this year on the tube.  Sure wish it was different, but winning often appears to be an after-thought.   

Mainer, when I started to read this post I first thought you had your head up where the sun don't shine. But true to your great experience and wisdom I realize when you told us that your head was in the clouds! ;D

I think your ideas are pretty much in line with what I am thinking. The only thing I question is moving Moran now. I wait until next year at the deadline just to be sure that Hayes is really ready with the bat.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't expect them to do it but at some point this organization needs to take stock of what they have and try to add to it for a legit pennant run and not just use the better players they have as a source of never ending trade chips for prospects. Considering Nutting is unlikely to pay Bell more than a couple more years as arbitration will force a pay hike, they should look at Bell, Marte, Vazquez, Newman, Reynolds, probably Hayes and others as a core and work toward improving the roster rather than always deconstructing it.