Pirates vs. Cards - 7/22 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

pghpaulatl

Post by pghpaulatl »

.05 & .10 cent team owner is right on and no end in sight, I wish that MLB would run him out of town, but that will never happen.

If they trade Dickerson, Melky, Lyles, Kang and possibly Vazquez along with getting rid of Cervelli, maybe cheapo Bob can have a $40M payroll next season and continue to fill his overflowing pockets. What a waste of time.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1F2D21213507242D20252A2D4C0 wrote: Who here has access to Vasquez's medicals? Nobody has access, but I also have access to Clay Holmes resume and he stinks period and shouldn’t he pitching in a tie ballgame with your season hanging in the balance. My advice to Hurdle is Use guys like Liriano, Rodriguez and Crick who are your effective relievers better in this game if you know Vazquez is going to be unavailable Incase the game goes extra innings. Also, challenge a foot off the base bunt call better in the 10th inning which would have gotten overturned on the Diaz sac bunt but since Clint didn’t bother to do that it costs them an extra out and baserunner in the 10th. Just so many blunders by the coaching staff last night that totally was responsible for the Pirates losing and I for one am just sick and tired of it. It happens way too many times anymore under Hurdle’s watch and continues to costs the Pirates big game after big game time and time again.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Getting back to the Diaz bunt nobody on here said much about it but was I the only one who saw the Cards 3rd baseman’s foot or toe come off the base as he caught the ball as Dickerson slid into 3rd base. It was clear as day to me and Hurdle didn’t even attempt to look at it which was a huge huge deal in this game because if that call gets overturned like it should have the Pirates have bases loaded nobody out instead of 1st and 2nd and one out. Plays like that simply can’t he missed by the manager in such a key part of the game it can’t happen. Hurdle and whoever is in charge of looking at replay challenges MUST see that play happen.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

When I think about relievers taking the mound days in a row, I flash back to Rod Beck pitching for the Cubs in a pennant race where his arm was hanging down around his ankles but being willing to take the ball and trying to get through an inning even though he was lacking his best (actually any) stuff.

I'm all for conserving and protecting arms, but Hurdle seems to go to the extremes; tomorrow's maybe situations are more important than the situation you are in tonight.

Dear Clint --- In case you haven't looked at the standings, the tomorrow's are now nearly meaningless.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

567A72757E596E78681B0 wrote: When I think about relievers taking the mound days in a row, I flash back to Rod Beck pitching for the Cubs in a pennant race where his arm was hanging down around his ankles but being willing to take the ball and trying to get through an inning even though he was lacking his best (actually any) stuff.

But wasn't that the season right before his career went off a cliff?
PMike

Post by PMike »

09252D2A2106312737440 wrote: When I think about relievers taking the mound days in a row, I flash back to Rod Beck pitching for the Cubs in a pennant race where his arm was hanging down around his ankles but being willing to take the ball and trying to get through an inning even though he was lacking his best (actually any) stuff.

I'm all for conserving and protecting arms, but Hurdle seems to go to the extremes; tomorrow's maybe situations are more important than the situation you are in tonight.

Dear Clint --- In case you haven't looked at the standings, the tomorrow's are now nearly meaningless. 

Someone on the radio recently said something to effect, "the Pirates, to their detriment, make to many decisions based on hypotheticals."

I think this is very accurate. Vazquez has pitched back to back days. We need to save him for tomorrow. Meanwhile, they lose that day. They have mentioned many times that they were resting "player x" for hypothetical situation later in the game or for the next day.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4D507476781D0 wrote: When I think about relievers taking the mound days in a row, I flash back to Rod Beck pitching for the Cubs in a pennant race where his arm was hanging down around his ankles but being willing to take the ball and trying to get through an inning even though he was lacking his best (actually any) stuff.

Someone on the radio recently said something to effect, "the Pirates, to their detriment, make to many decisions based on hypotheticals."

I think this is very accurate.  Vazquez has pitched back to back days.  We need to save him for tomorrow.  Meanwhile, they lose that day.  They have mentioned many times that they were resting "player x" for hypothetical situation later in the game or for the next day.

yes, and they seem to have an obsession with giving players two consecutive days off.
PMike

Post by PMike »

032524332535460 wrote: When I think about relievers taking the mound days in a row, I flash back to Rod Beck pitching for the Cubs in a pennant race where his arm was hanging down around his ankles but being willing to take the ball and trying to get through an inning even though he was lacking his best (actually any) stuff.

I think this is very accurate.  Vazquez has pitched back to back days.  We need to save him for tomorrow.  Meanwhile, they lose that day.  They have mentioned many times that they were resting "player x" for hypothetical situation later in the game or for the next day.

yes, and they seem to have an obsession with giving players two consecutive days off.

Yeah, I understand the logic there. It's the same reason why people take a Monday or Friday off. It's a good way to maximize a rest. I'm sure they have some compelling analytics for that technique.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Hurdle needs to worry about winning the game you are playing today and stop concerning himself with what happened the previous game and what might happen the next game. It’s costs them so many more games operating this way then it’s priduved wins over the years.