Cervelli will catch no more . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It makes sense. I think the Pirates are genuinely concerned about his health if he insists he still wants to catch. And he has little value at any other position. And if another team wants to put him behind the plate, that's on them but they can still add him prior to the 8/31 post season roster cut off date. According to the press release, this is what Cervelli requested when told his playing time would be limited.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Like EC Bucs, I hope that the Bucs extend the same opportunities to Liriano and Cabrera.

If you are Liriano, exactly how many 11-0 games do you want to pitch in and close out the game.

Similarly with Cabrera, being called upon to pinch-hit in the 7th when the team is hopelessly behind in the game and even more hopelessly out of a pennant race cannot be all that rewarding.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Have say that I will miss Cervy's win at all costs attitude and his leadership with the staff. Just a great guy to have around. Would love to see him get a coaching job after his career is over. One thing that I hope he does not do is go play independent ball or foreign ball if he does not get an MLB contract next season. Thanks, Cervy for all the memories.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Did I miss something?

What 2 prospects did we give up to the Braves for them to take Cervelli?
BenM

Post by BenM »

I wonder who got to explain to Nutting that the team will still be paying most of his salary even though he will be playing for another team.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'm the opposite.   I don't appreciate Cervelli's time here very much.   There are two Cervelli's.  The first year, pre-contact Cervelli, and then the last 4 years.

After his contract He was paid for 3.5 seasons of baseball and gave us maybe 2.  He caught 100 games zero times,  and caught less than 80 games, 2 years out of 4.    That's less than half a season.   Amassed over 2.0 WAR only 1 season in 4.   per game actually played, was one of the most expensive catchers in baseball.   

He's exactly the kind of player a cheap organization like ours cannot get stuck with.  A guy who doesn't really show up after he gets paid.     

It's another life example of guys who talk a good game getting kudos and love, while the guys who actually show up and do the work not getting the same respect.   

I don't wish him ill will, but good riddance.   
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

76515A79340 wrote: I wonder who got to explain to Nutting that the team will still be paying most of his salary even though he will be playing for another team.

The only thing Nutting is trying to understand is: “so you mean I just saved $150,000! Just like that, I made another $150,000? Wow. This is great! Can we do this with other players?? Neal, go make me some more money. BMTIB! I LOVE baseball!”
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Very classy letter to Pirate fans and city of Pittsburgh...

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 1908230113
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2 for 3 with 2 doubles 3 RBIs in Braves debut.