Cole v Glasnow

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Cole v Glasnow

Post by Bobster21 »

535A52434D370 wrote: Yep fans fault.  The fans decided.   Darned fans
Just an awful trade. Sure, the fans were and still are rightfully frustrated, even angry, at how this front office operates. I can see the trade as an attempt to appease fans for PR purposes. But that doesn't legitimize the deal. The fans would be appeased to a much greater extent if the organization won more games and understood how to develop its own players instead of sending them to another team where they will thrive just to acquire a player the fans have heard of. And a declining player at that. I think it's safe to say the trade has not appeased an angry fan base. It has only further enraged them. It demonstrates how badly the organization is run. Give the fans a cheap team that can't compete and when they get frustrated, make a trade to acquire someone famous. The fans are smarter than that. The Pirates just don't get it.
SammyKhalifa

Cole v Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2B222A3B354F0 wrote: Yep fans fault.  The fans decided.   Darned fans
silly me i forgot i said just that
rucker59@gmail.com

Cole v Glasnow

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Yep fans fault.  The fans decided.   Darned fans
Just an awful trade. Sure, the fans were and still are rightfully frustrated, even angry, at how this front office operates. I can see the trade as an attempt to appease fans for PR purposes. But that doesn't legitimize the deal. The fans would be appeased to a much greater extent if the organization won more games and understood how to develop its own players instead of sending them to another team where they will thrive just to acquire a player the fans have heard of. And a declining player at that. I think it's safe to say the trade has not appeased an angry fan base. It has only further enraged them. It demonstrates how badly the organization is run. Give the fans a cheap team that can't compete and when they get frustrated, make a trade to acquire someone famous. The fans are smarter than that. The Pirates just don't get it.

There is nothing more important to a fanbase (outside of winning of course) than home grown talent. It creates a sense of "generation" and connection whereas the revolving door of trades and FA makes the team feel transient. But good trades need to be executed and "the right" FAs must be added to finish the team we're all connected to.

Trades have to be wise. A few drafted players become the future face of the franchise. Most fans don't know a 2nd round pick from a 20th, but there are a few prospects that keep the hope alive. Bell was one such player who has become a crowd favorite... and we already know he will be gone within the next 12 months. But at least we got to watch him for a few years. If he had been on the 12-15 teams we may have a new WS trophy. But he's been cursed to be on average to bad teams.

Other than Bell, the other names that most fans knew of where McGuire, Meadows and Glasnow. To see all three just disappear with next to nothing to show....that is a killer.

Just seeing McGuire and Meadows mentioned in the same sentence makes me really frustrated....is it possible to handle two top 1st round draft picks any worse than this example?
skinnyhorse

Cole v Glasnow

Post by skinnyhorse »

614746514757240 wrote: Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?

you might have something here.  DL made the Matt Morris trade because he could't stand the stress of being GM.  He didn't want to be called a quitter so he could resign.  Made the worst trade he could think of so he would get fired. 

Rather than souring the fan base it was Neal's cry for help.

;D ;D Face it the guy (NH) is just a chump that other GM's have fun with by taking advantage of this organiazation. Any baseball man would not have given CH a 3 year extension, when it was obvious he was retired while still drawing his salary. He was tired and worn out 2 years ago. Not knowing how to handle propect after prospect Cole, Glasnow, Meadows, Reynolds, Newman, Keller, Brault, Crick, Kuhl and on and on. Not sure how or why he still has a job.