D-backs closing in on Marte trade (report)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

54717272674C71797B6C1E0 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

We received the D- Backs 9th and 18th prospects none of which cracked MLB top 100. Plus we shell out 1.5M for 250K in Int’l bonus money. I give BC an F in his first trade.

I definitely thought we'd get some pieces closer to the majors than this. We won't know for years if this was a good trade and that's what kind of sucks about it, for me--once again we're being told: "Just wait till three years from now!" It seems like a given that we'll be one of the worst teams in the majors this year.
shedman

Post by shedman »

If this is true, then it is a straight flat out salary dump.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

checking D-Backs fan page, article says this:

The two prospects appear generally to be ranked in the #6-10 range across most lists, so we didn’t have to give up any of the “big 5” who were recently listed in the top hundred across all baseball, e.g. by MLB Pipeline.

Haven't scrolled through fan comments yet.

The Bucs did send 1.5 million to D-Backs.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

47626161745F626A687F0D0 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

We received the D- Backs 9th and 18th prospects none of which cracked MLB top 100. Plus we shell out 1.5M for 250K in Int’l bonus money. I give BC an F in his first trade.

Depends on who you ask. BA has them as #7 and 9. Another publication has them as #5 and 10, and the D-Backs system is deep. Personally, I think we have to trust BC's track record in Boston and Toronto and think he knows a thing or two about this. Trading Marte was necessary. Now, get on the horn and start looking to deal Musgrove, Bell, and maybe even Reynolds. Tear the whole thing down and start over.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

646C6F584E6B4C432D0 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

Depends on who you ask. BA has them as #7 and 9. Another publication has them as #5 and 10, and the D-Backs system is deep. Personally, I think we have to trust BC's track record in Boston and Toronto and think he knows a thing or two about this. Trading Marte was necessary. Now, get on the horn and start looking to deal Musgrove, Bell, and maybe even Reynolds. Tear the whole thing down and start over.

I get nervous about the "tear it down and start over" approach given the flip-a-coin nature of prospects. Just ask Chad Hermansen and Ron Wright.

I'd try to build around Bell and sign him to a longer-term contract. And yes, I know who his agent is.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Cherington salary dumped a major league ballplayer for a couple of suspects who will probably never see a major league uniform. The only thing this will accomplish is to further enrich Bob Nutting.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F4A4D4B4349504D4457515C250 wrote: A little about these guys:

https://2080baseball.com/spotlight/liover-peguero/

https://2080baseball.com/draft-spotligh ... an-malone/

if I want to get really cynical I look at this trade like getting the 33rd pick in the 2020 draft and a couple million dollars to sign a Latin American ballplayer. Looking at it that way makes it seem like a very light return. Also, it may mean that BC doesn't think the Bucs will be ready to compete until these guys are ready (which is probably not before 2023). The team (and fans) need Peguero to turn into a Lindor and Malone to be a top pitcher.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4549404D5A065C4145475C40511A18684F45280 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

I get nervous about the "tear it down and start over" approach given the flip-a-coin nature of prospects. Just ask Chad Hermansen and Ron Wright.

I'd try to build around Bell and sign him to a longer-term contract. And yes, I know who his agent is.

Why build around Bell now? We won't be resigning him when he becomes a FA. He is gone once that happens and tbh, his trade value won't be any higher moving forward. He has little protection in the lineup. This move, trading supposedly your best asset, nets you this return - guys that won't bring any yield to the Pirates for four or five years at least, tells you where BC's mind is as far as competing.

Right now, this is even a tougher sell to the Pirate fan base. If MLB said to us, this version of the Pirates will be moved to DesMoines with the owner and we will grant you a brand new franchise with an owner that cares, I?'d take it knowing it might be a decade before we compete. Because we are essentially an expansion franchise with a shitty owner. Our payroll is now 47 million according to Nightengale.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

676F6C5B4D684F402E0 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

Bottom line is that this trade did nothing to address positional depth in the organization. We needed to address Catcher and LH pitching. Varsho should have been a given as part of a return.