The near-future of the franchise rests on five guys

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Baseball itself has helped ruin it. We will never see another star player spend his entire career in Pittsburgh - not until we can afford a $30M contract, and regardless of how much of a penny pincer Nuttings might be, we will not be able to afford that until something fundamental changes in baseball economics.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B4A426B40482F0 wrote: I've been following this thread and have come to the conclusion that the only way the near-future of the Pirates to be successful is to have the ghosts of the 4 players on the OBN masthead in the everyday lineup.  It is so sad that these guys must be rolling over in their graves seeing how Nickles has ruined the proud Bucco tradition.
Possum, you give Nutting too much credit. He should be called "Pennies." :)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: I've been following this thread and have come to the conclusion that the only way the near-future of the Pirates to be successful is to have the ghosts of the 4 players on the OBN masthead in the everyday lineup.  It is so sad that these guys must be rolling over in their graves seeing how Nickles has ruined the proud Bucco tradition.
Possum, you give Nutting too much credit. He should be called "Pennies." :)

Pennies it is Bobster! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MJohnson

Post by MJohnson »

646D65747A000 wrote: Well, filling in by trades is the main way of doing it, not signing FAs.   

You need a GM who can draft and develop and who doesn't lose trades as consistently as NH did.   I'll give him credit, he was able to extract value from dumpster dives more than others.   But the guy couldn't sell value to save his life.   

The baseball people really weren't any good at what they were doing.   The ownership is worst in baseball.   I find it a perfect summation of their incompetence when Newman and Reynolds became rookie stars last year.

Two guys they had little interest in as answers, and Newman they went so far as to block.     They guys they "pounded the tables" for suck, and the guys they write off as b-tier prospects are ROY candidates.

They can't fill in with trades. They can't trade prospects for talent getting paid market value, or we'd just keep our own talent. We can only trade our established talent which is preparing to demand market value, for prospects. If we can't afford to pay FA's market value, we can't afford to trade for established talent being paid market value for the very same reason. Dumpster diving is the ONLY option.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

080F2A2D2B362A2B450 wrote: Well, filling in by trades is the main way of doing it, not signing FAs.   

You need a GM who can draft and develop and who doesn't lose trades as consistently as NH did.   I'll give him credit, he was able to extract value from dumpster dives more than others.   But the guy couldn't sell value to save his life.   

The baseball people really weren't any good at what they were doing.   The ownership is worst in baseball.   I find it a perfect summation of their incompetence when Newman and Reynolds became rookie stars last year.

Two guys they had little interest in as answers, and Newman they went so far as to block.     They guys they "pounded the tables" for suck, and the guys they write off as b-tier prospects are ROY candidates.

They can't fill in with trades.  They can't trade prospects for talent getting paid market value, or we'd just keep our own talent.  We can only trade our established talent which is preparing to demand market value, for prospects.  If we can't afford to pay FA's market value, we can't afford to trade for established talent being paid market value for the very same reason.  Dumpster diving is the ONLY option.   

as someone posts on Bucs Dugout, when has that worked well enough to put a team into the playoffs?

Basically the bottom line is the Bucs cannot operate as they have in the past and be successful. Cherington could be ten times better than Neal and that wouldn't result in a consistent contender.