Season Prediction thread! ;)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Read something this evening that the season may not begin until around Memorial Day. That would eliminate about two months of the season. Maybe they would play a season of 120 games ?
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

606C6D363F363E33342B31060 wrote: Read something this evening that the season may not begin until around Memorial Day. That would eliminate about two months of the season. Maybe they would play a season of 120 games ?
Interesting. Can you tell us / link us to where you read that?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

With the CDC recommending no crowds over 50 for the next eight weeks, I think we'll be lucky to start by July 1. JMTC, but my timeline is players report back to ST on or around June 15, modified scheduled to ramp pitchers back up. Start on July 1. No way pitchers will be ready by then, unless they keep throwing. Maybe MLB goes with expanded rosters all year to account for pitchers being way behind and not wanting an additional six week ST on top of missing two months. But, we also have to assume that some players will contract the virus, so they'll be behind and quarantined from their teammates. In short, this is going to be a WEIRD year.

Pirates go 20-60. In hindsight, maybe JT's surgery came at a good time. And we only have to endure 80 games of the hideous three batter rule experiment.
mouse

Post by mouse »

The article about Memorial Day starting framework was on mlbtr --https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/ ... ekend.html
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

They can get ready by playing intrasquad games, which eliminates any need for travel.  That would at least allow pitchers to get their arms up to throwing 5 innings and batters to start getting their timing.  TBH, I'm not sure what real advantage playing against another team has over that, other than facing pitchers you are not as used to seeing.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

6C3A2C38372D3D363B2C1E39333F3732703D5E0 wrote: If MLB were to remake the entire schedule for this season, I'd love to see the elimination of the Interleague games.  Those games just screw-up the schedule anyway, and interest in them has run its course.  I mean, who stays up late waiting for that epic Twins/Padres showdown?  I'd also like to see more of an emphasis placed on Division games, perhaps as many as 20 played against each team. 

I wouldn't think the owners want the schedule remade, however.  Travel plans, hotel stays, etc, have already been arranged.  It wouldn't be impossible, though.

In exchange for scheduling doubleheaders on, say, every other Sunday (that would make-up 13 lost days), owners could expand rosters to 30 players just for the second game on those days.

Most important, I think the owners want the playoffs to start no later than they're currently scheduled because of the weather.  I would think they'll start with the last possible date for Game 7 of the Series and then work backwards to determine the latest date to start the season. 
With an odd number of teams in each league, and a strong need for all teams to play on the weekends, there's no way we can eliminate interleague play. The math was the reason for it in the first place. I have a couple of great ideas for how it should be scheduled though, if anyone's interested.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1B313A0A3D2B2B27480 wrote: If MLB were to remake the entire schedule for this season, I'd love to see the elimination of the Interleague games.  Those games just screw-up the schedule anyway, and interest in them has run its course.  I mean, who stays up late waiting for that epic Twins/Padres showdown?  I'd also like to see more of an emphasis placed on Division games, perhaps as many as 20 played against each team. 

I wouldn't think the owners want the schedule remade, however.  Travel plans, hotel stays, etc, have already been arranged.  It wouldn't be impossible, though.

In exchange for scheduling doubleheaders on, say, every other Sunday (that would make-up 13 lost days), owners could expand rosters to 30 players just for the second game on those days.

Most important, I think the owners want the playoffs to start no later than they're currently scheduled because of the weather.  I would think they'll start with the last possible date for Game 7 of the Series and then work backwards to determine the latest date to start the season. 
With an odd number of teams in each league, and a strong need for all teams to play on the weekends, there's no way we can eliminate interleague play. The math was the reason for it in the first place. I have a couple of great ideas for how it should be scheduled though, if anyone's interested.

Good catch, I forgot about the odd number of teams in each league. I look for any excuse to eliminate Interleague play. I'm interested in hearing your ideas.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

3C6A7C68677D6D666B7C4E69636F6762206D0E0 wrote: If MLB were to remake the entire schedule for this season, I'd love to see the elimination of the Interleague games.  Those games just screw-up the schedule anyway, and interest in them has run its course.  I mean, who stays up late waiting for that epic Twins/Padres showdown?  I'd also like to see more of an emphasis placed on Division games, perhaps as many as 20 played against each team. 

Good catch, I forgot about the odd number of teams in each league.  I look for any excuse to eliminate Interleague play.  I'm interested in hearing your ideas. 
Thanks, Doc.

I would assign interleague games to the teams, ranking them 1 thru 15 based on last season. 1 vs. 1: a replay of the World Series; 2 vs. 2, the what could have been series. Continue until the worst teams play each other home and away, 6 games total. The "Benchmark" series would tighten the standings and become a point of pride between the two leagues. I think these games would be well attended.

My next series would be the "We've missed you" series. Starting with the top teams, which opponent in the other league have you not played for the longest period of time? Play them in another home and away 6 game series. Fans should be happy to see teams that they haven't seen for years.

Finally, around the AllStar game, have a 4-game, 2 home and 2 away series against their "traditional rival". Examples would be Mets vs. Yankees, White Sox vs. Cubs, Angels vs. Dodgers. Some of these matchups will be tough, and may not repeat every year. Where geographic proximity fails, have all 4 games played in one park, then the other in the following year.

16 games total, or about 10% of the schedule. And I would decide the DH-no DH issue with that of the VISITING team. Give the fans a taste of how the other league lives. It might lead to a national consensus.

Sorry you said you wanted to hear my ideas? ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

331912221503030F600 wrote: If MLB were to remake the entire schedule for this season, I'd love to see the elimination of the Interleague games.  Those games just screw-up the schedule anyway, and interest in them has run its course.  I mean, who stays up late waiting for that epic Twins/Padres showdown?  I'd also like to see more of an emphasis placed on Division games, perhaps as many as 20 played against each team. 

Good catch, I forgot about the odd number of teams in each league.  I look for any excuse to eliminate Interleague play.  I'm interested in hearing your ideas. 
Thanks, Doc.

I would assign interleague games to the teams, ranking them 1 thru 15 based on last season. 1 vs. 1: a replay of the World Series; 2 vs. 2, the what could have been series. Continue until the worst teams play each other home and away, 6 games total. The "Benchmark" series would tighten the standings and become a point of pride between the two leagues. I think these games would be well attended.

My next series would be the "We've missed you" series. Starting with the top teams, which opponent in the other league have you not played for the longest period of time? Play them in another home and away 6 game series. Fans should be happy to see teams that they haven't seen for years.

Finally, around the AllStar game, have a 4-game, 2 home and 2 away series against their "traditional rival". Examples would be Mets vs. Yankees, White Sox vs. Cubs, Angels vs. Dodgers. Some of these matchups will be tough, and may not repeat every year. Where geographic proximity fails, have all 4 games played in one park, then the other in the following year.

16 games total, or about 10% of the schedule. And I would decide the DH-no DH issue with that of the VISITING team. Give the fans a taste of how the other league lives. It might lead to a national consensus.

Sorry you said you wanted to hear my ideas?  ;)

Interesting ideas, and worth consideration. I believe MLB will continue with Interleague play into the future, but I've hated it from the beginning and would rather see it disappear. (That and the DH.)

I believe the powers in Baseball have a long-range plan to dissolve the two leagues as we know them and reorganize the teams geographically. Baseball has always been a sport with strong geographic rivalries and I think the owners want to take advantage of that. I can see a 32-team league divided into eight divisions with four teams in each, the teams in each division being in close proximity to each other. That's easier to do in the east, of course, but it could work out west, too.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

1A4C5A4E415B4B404D5A684F45494144064B280 wrote: If MLB were to remake the entire schedule for this season, I'd love to see the elimination of the Interleague games.  Those games just screw-up the schedule anyway, and interest in them has run its course.  I mean, who stays up late waiting for that epic Twins/Padres showdown?  I'd also like to see more of an emphasis placed on Division games, perhaps as many as 20 played against each team. 

Thanks, Doc.

Sorry you said you wanted to hear my ideas?  ;)

Interesting ideas, and worth consideration.  I believe MLB will continue with Interleague play into the future, but I've hated it from the beginning and would rather see it disappear.  (That and the DH.)

I believe the powers in Baseball have a long-range plan to dissolve the two leagues as we know them and reorganize the teams geographically.  Baseball has always been a sport with strong geographic rivalries and I think the owners want to take advantage of that.  I can see a 32-team league divided into eight divisions with four teams in each, the teams in each division being in close proximity to each other.  That's easier to do in the east, of course, but it could work out west, too. 
That could happen, Doc. Who do you see getting the two expansion teams? I have long thought that Charlotte and Las Vegas are underserved major markets.