rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Last time I was at spring training...

I was watching three players closely:

Glasnow

Reece McGuire

Austin Meadows.

I remember my son and I talking about the Pirates having a legit chance for a WS by 2020 or so. I was especially blown away by Meadows and sharing here on OBN that he already looked and carried himself like a man among boys.

Glasnow was clearly elite potential. And they had their catcher in McGuire.

Then Neal got the brilliant idea to package our catcher so that the Blue Jays would take one middlin contract off our hands and things only went down hill from their.

If those three were still part of this organization and assuming a few competent trades/FAs....maybe the Pirates are competing for a WS right now....

Worse management team in baseball.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

556B6E66756D6D6646637467020 wrote: Lecom at Bradenton.- Keep us posted. Alw ays look forward to your observations

Will do . I will start going over on Monday.
shedman

Spring Training Thread

Post by shedman »

133A3C30325F0 wrote: Lecom at Bradenton.- Keep us posted. Alw ays look forward to your observations

----

I will be across the state from you on Monday.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

445F52535A5659370 wrote: Lecom at Bradenton.- Keep us posted. Alw ays look forward to your observations

----

Hey, Lecom.  If you two play golf, make sure he putts out.
dmetz

Spring Training Thread

Post by dmetz »

Bells been playing IF for years now. Nothing to do with adjusting, everything to do with the players inability to throw.

Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

1C4A5C48475D4D464B5C6E49434F4742004D2E0 wrote: Lecom at Bradenton.- Keep us posted. Alw ays look forward to your observations

----

He is always on the wrong side of the state .
maher.timothy20@gm

Spring Training Thread

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

2C2E343224410 wrote: Keep in mind we've now moved into the "I'm in the best shape of my life" (for older players) and "I have a new swing" (for others) phase of the off-season. After a few weeks it'll be business as usual again. I don't take too much of what is said at this point very seriously.

I remember years ago one spring training where Jason Kendall announced he was going to hit more home runs because he needed to. I was dumb enough at the time to be excited by this announcement.

Of course he was a slap singles hitter that year as always.
mouse

Spring Training Thread

Post by mouse »

I recall a year in the early sixties where Bob Prince was reporting on either Skinner or Virdon (Skinner, I think) having a new swing this year, one where he would keep the bat back and flatter so he could better reach the outside breaking pitches. I can't say what became of that but the next year Prince reported that the same guy had a new swing that year, he was going to hold the bat higher, straighter up, so he could reach the high pitches. Ever since I've found "new swing" stories amusing. Now, with analytics, though, who knows.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

755C5A5654390 wrote: Lecom at Bradenton.- Keep us posted. Alw ays look forward to your observations

----

He is always on the wrong side of the state .

He's on the wrong side of everything. ::)
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

So I attended the VIP dinner for Pirate season ticket holders last night. BC was there but I did not have a chance to talk to him there was always someone around him. We did get a chance to say hi to Steve Blass. The Pirates always bring in some alumni players to work the room. He seems to be enjoying his retirement and it will be interesting to see how much he shows up at the Lecom field. Travis Williams was also there. They have a street fair at the same time they hold the dinner sort of a pep rally. I was told DS was also there but I did not see him. Everybody seemed to be in an upbeat mode guess we will see how long that lasts.