Greetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Greetings

Post by Bobster21 »

526770707B4270707B7C70150 wrote: As Will Rogers once said, any Pirates message board that would allow the likes of us to join it, I'm not sure I'd want to!  ;)))))

That was Groucho Marx. "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." FYI-Groucho was not on OBN. So I guess he must have been asked. :)
Lecom

Greetings

Post by Lecom »

Welcome to the board GW. Javy said this is a great board and I agree. Lecom formally Glassers.
GreenWeenie

Greetings

Post by GreenWeenie »

052825343322357576470 wrote: As Will Rogers once said, any Pirates message board that would allow the likes of us to join it, I'm not sure I'd want to!  ;)))))

That was Groucho Marx. "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." FYI-Groucho was not on OBN. So I guess he must have been asked. :)

I stand corrected.

I may have been thinking of: "I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat."

This board seems like fun.....and, fun is what emwe need. Unless somebody has a better idea.

GreenWeenie

Greetings

Post by GreenWeenie »

1B3234383A570 wrote: Welcome to the board GW. Javy said this is a great board and I agree. Lecom formally Glassers.

Thx, Glass. Dave had mentioned your new Nick. If you & Javy say it, it's true.

If Kovie says it......it's funny.
Bobster21

Greetings

Post by Bobster21 »

053027272C1527272C2B27420 wrote: As Will Rogers once said, any Pirates message board that would allow the likes of us to join it, I'm not sure I'd want to!  ;)))))

I stand corrected.

I may have been thinking of:  "I'm not a member of any organized political party.  I'm a Democrat."

This board seems like fun.....and, fun is what we need.  Unless somebody has a better idea.
It is fun! So glad you and the other new members joined us! We've got a good group here. Knowledgeable too if we ever get games to discuss. Love your name too. I was a big fan of The Gunner's Green Weenie. It won many a game for the Buccos. "Babushka Power" helped too. :)
GreenWeenie

Greetings

Post by GreenWeenie »

With you there. I'm "of the age" where kids used to sneak a "transistor radio" under the pillow to listen to west coast road trip games......until Ma Weenie wondered why I was burning through so many "batteries." Big Weenie knew.

Big used to get SO mad. I could hear him yelling, "What's the score? What's THE SCORE!" every time The Gunner rambled on and on.

These days? I don't want to know the score. :(((((
shedman

Greetings

Post by shedman »

5D687F7F744D7F7F74737F1A0 wrote: With you there.  I'm "of the age" where kids used to sneak a "transistor radio" under the pillow to listen to west coast road trip games......until Ma Weenie wondered why I was burning through so many "batteries."  Big Weenie knew. 

Big used to get SO mad.  I could hear him yelling, "What's the score?  What's THE SCORE!" every time The Gunner rambled on and on.

These days?  I don't want to know the score.  :(((((
______

Big Shedman used to get so mad at the Gunner. He used to say that if Gunner was talking about what happened 40 years ago and not telling the score, it was a clear indication that the Bucs were losing.
Bobster21

Greetings

Post by Bobster21 »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote: With you there.  I'm "of the age" where kids used to sneak a "transistor radio" under the pillow to listen to west coast road trip games......until Ma Weenie wondered why I was burning through so many "batteries."  Big Weenie knew. 

Big used to get SO mad.  I could hear him yelling, "What's the score?  What's THE SCORE!" every time The Gunner rambled on and on.

My father worked nights and I used to keep a homemade scorecard while listening to the games on a transistor radio (from Baltimore) thru the static of KDKA. So when he got home from work after I was in bed he could check out the game. I was keeping a scorecard on 6/12/70 when they played a twilight DHer in SD that started 6 pm there, 9 pm here. Of course that turned out to be his no-hitter. In 2001 I met Dock at a fantasy camp in Bradenton and told him I had the homemade scorecard and wished I had thought to bring it for his autograph. I also mentioned a couple spots on the card were left blank because the static drowned out the game. Dock gave me his home address in LA and told me to send it to him when I got back home. I did and he quickly returned it autographed along with an autographed PBP record so I could fill in the missing spots.
shedman

Greetings

Post by shedman »

426F62737465723231000 wrote: With you there.  I'm "of the age" where kids used to sneak a "transistor radio" under the pillow to listen to west coast road trip games......until Ma Weenie wondered why I was burning through so many "batteries."  Big Weenie knew. 

My father worked nights and I used to keep a homemade scorecard while listening to the games on a transistor radio (from Baltimore) thru the static of KDKA. So when he got home from work after I was in bed he could check out the game. I was keeping a scorecard on 6/12/70 when they played a twilight DHer in SD that started 6 pm there, 9 pm here. Of course that turned out to be his no-hitter. In 2001 I met Dock at a fantasy camp in Bradenton and told him I had the homemade scorecard and wished I had thought to bring it for his autograph. I also mentioned a couple spots on the card were left blank because the static drowned out the game. Dock gave me his home address in LA and told me to send it to him when I got back home. I did and he quickly returned it autographed along with an autographed PBP record so I could fill in the missing spots.

________

Now that is a cool story!
GreenWeenie

Greetings

Post by GreenWeenie »

All I have to say to that is- Wow! That's a class act right there. RIP, Doc Ellis.