Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

5F74665C746978727E5D7E737E110 wrote: As I am loathe to anything that resembles conspiracy theory and I stay away from that stuff at all costs, I can't help but "do as I say, not as I do" and kind of throw one out there.

Every sport is throwing out any half brained idea, so it can get chewed on, swallowed, spit out, ignored, embraced, laughed at...pick your poison. It's all the same thing, for every single sport. They're trying to create the illusion of returning back to normal, and in full swing, even if it means hockey in August, baseball in December.

And why is that? As I opined in a post to an article on yahoo, it isn't just sports. It's all forms of entertainment. Theater, concert, amusement parks, etc. People have hundreds of millions of dollars laid out in tickets and reservations. Money that promoters and owners have in their till right now, that they've probably already utilized in some form or fashion.

Refunds will have to be made. I pointed out in my post, between half season ticket plan with parking, a Rolling Stones concert, Maroon 5, Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett, 4 days of campground rental plus tickets to Saturday and Sunday races at the Poconos, I have over 8 thousand dollars of money tied up in this stuff.

And I'm not thinking it's all that much compared to others. But if you think of someone like me, and my potential refund, think of the MILLIONS of people in the same category.

These people are throwing out smoke screens because the massive refunds that are going to be due, and you know damn well they'll do everything they can to delay or default on those refunds. There are going to be promoters and ownership groups that WON'T BE ABLE TO PAY.

They're delaying because there's no doubt in my mind, that the landscape may change dramatically if hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds are necessitated. We'll see how good to each other the good old boys are. Will the richer teams bail out the poorer teams?

This could get real interesting. But I don't really care if franchises fold all over. I just want my money back if games and concerts aren't played.
If I were a betting man I would be willing to bet that if games are played in Arizona you will get refunded.

You should be happy that they could get TV revenue from this. It would help the process.

I for one am pulling for this to happen. I do think, however, that they have to find a way to allow immediate family to be there. That would insure player buy-in.

I'm actually more concerned about the concerts and the NASCAR race. They are calling them postponed as opposed to cancelled. They are putting things off into the future I feel by doing this. But say the Rolling Stones, which is already officially postponed at Heinz Field, gets rescheduled. And I can't go. Can I have my choice of a refund instead of going?

The Pirates have reached out to STH. I already know I'll get refunds for the parking passes-however, that won't occur until MLB has a finalized plan for the season. They did not charge the last installment payment for those of us using the payment plan. Once a plan is in place, they told me we'll have a couple weeks notice before the final installment is pulled out. There are so many logistics to work out with this.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Surg, sounds like you have enough money to tide you over but I agree with you that refunds should be made and the sooner the better.

I would not be surprised if Pennies and other owners try to con you and others in your position with tickets bought, parking bought, etc into just letting it rest in Pennies bank account as a deposit on the next full season to be played. Of course we both know that Pennies will just keep the interest he makes from the 1st Nat'l Bank of Pennies in Wheeling. What shame, Pennies could be using that interest to pay something to hourly employees of the Pirates organization who will miss work due to the lost games.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

406169406B63040 wrote: Surg, sounds like you have enough money to tide you over but I agree with you that refunds should be made and the sooner the better.

I would not be surprised if Pennies and other owners try to con you and others in your position with tickets bought, parking bought, etc into just letting it rest in Pennies bank account as a deposit on the next full season to be played.  Of course we both know that Pennies will just keep the interest he makes from the 1st Nat'l Bank of Pennies in Wheeling.  What shame, Pennies could be using that interest to pay something to hourly employees of the Pirates organization who will miss work due to the lost games. 

From my experience the Pirates have never been anything other than very forgiving with their refund and rain policies, etc. I see no reason why it'll be any different this time.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If MLB were to play games in empty stadiums with no revenue other than broadcast rights fees, it might be enough to sustain them but how would the minor leagues operate? They aren't going to have huge TV and radio deals. I don't see how the minors could be playing. Extended spring training at best. So when an MLB team has to dip into its minors to call someone up, they won't be ready.
BenM

Post by BenM »

This sounds super aggressive. Arizona will be under stay at home until the end of April, at least. And they want to be playing baseball a couple weeks later?

They're risking an absolute disaster. The Chinese basketball league tried to start up (single site plan, like MLB) but was postponed indefinitely. The Japanese baseball league just postponed their attempted restart. And while the Korean league is allowing intrasquad games, their season opener hasn't been announced. Korea and Japan weren't hit by the virus nearly as hard as the US.
shedman

Post by shedman »

1F393E2B222E392F274C0 wrote: As I am loathe to anything that resembles conspiracy theory and I stay away from that stuff at all costs, I can't help but "do as I say, not as I do" and kind of throw one out there.

Every sport is throwing out any half brained idea, so it can get chewed on, swallowed, spit out, ignored, embraced, laughed at...pick your poison. It's all the same thing, for every single sport. They're trying to create the illusion of returning back to normal, and in full swing, even if it means hockey in August, baseball in December.

And why is that? As I opined in a post to an article on yahoo, it isn't just sports. It's all forms of entertainment. Theater, concert, amusement parks, etc. People have hundreds of millions of dollars laid out in tickets and reservations. Money that promoters and owners have in their till right now, that they've probably already utilized in some form or fashion.

Refunds will have to be made. I pointed out in my post, between half season ticket plan with parking, a Rolling Stones concert, Maroon 5, Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett, 4 days of campground rental plus tickets to Saturday and Sunday races at the Poconos, I have over 8 thousand dollars of money tied up in this stuff.

And I'm not thinking it's all that much compared to others. But if you think of someone like me, and my potential refund, think of the MILLIONS of people in the same category.

These people are throwing out smoke screens because the massive refunds that are going to be due, and you know damn well they'll do everything they can to delay or default on those refunds. There are going to be promoters and ownership groups that WON'T BE ABLE TO PAY.

They're delaying because there's no doubt in my mind, that the landscape may change dramatically if hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds are necessitated. We'll see how good to each other the good old boys are. Will the richer teams bail out the poorer teams?

This could get real interesting. But I don't really care if franchises fold all over. I just want my money back if games and concerts aren't played.
If I were a betting man I would be willing to bet that if games are played in Arizona you will get refunded.

You should be happy that they could get TV revenue from this. It would help the process.

I for one am pulling for this to happen. I do think, however, that they have to find a way to allow immediate family to be there. That would insure player buy-in.

I'm actually more concerned about the concerts and the NASCAR race. They are calling them postponed as opposed to cancelled. They are putting things off into the future I feel by doing this. But say the Rolling Stones, which is already officially postponed at Heinz Field, gets rescheduled. And I can't go. Can I have my choice of a refund instead of going?

The Pirates have reached out to STH. I already know I'll get refunds for the parking passes-however, that won't occur until MLB has a finalized plan for the season. They did not charge the last installment payment for those of us using the payment plan. Once a plan is in place, they told me we'll have a couple weeks notice before the final installment is pulled out. There are so many logistics to work out with this.

______

Sounds like the Rolling Stones concert is kicking the can down the road!

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Mick Jagger, holy cow, soon to be 77. Too bad he's ineligible to serve as president. I would say that maybe he and Keith should think twice about postponing things, IYKWIM.

Maybe THEY know what a telegraph was. ;)))

It's only rock n roll.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: Surg, sounds like you have enough money to tide you over but I agree with you that refunds should be made and the sooner the better.

I would not be surprised if Pennies and other owners try to con you and others in your position with tickets bought, parking bought, etc into just letting it rest in Pennies bank account as a deposit on the next full season to be played.  Of course we both know that Pennies will just keep the interest he makes from the 1st Nat'l Bank of Pennies in Wheeling.  What shame, Pennies could be using that interest to pay something to hourly employees of the Pirates organization who will miss work due to the lost games. 

They have always been very good with dealing with STH with financials for the most part, so it's why I'm not worried about them. I already know the deal with the parking passes. They will offer to just credit for next season, they did that with the spring training. More than likely that's what I'll do. The concerts on the other hand worry me much more. Music is a much shadier business. I remember John Mellencamp cancelling in NC years ago because the bass player severed his thumb or something. They called it postponed. Almost a year later they finally officially cancelled it. We did not get the service fees refunded, which infuriated everyone, and hence why anyone in that time frame for that concert called him, "John Cougar Mellencancel". There is a serious charge on concert tickets, and I bet I don't get that money back, which will infuriate me more. If that happens, I doubt I'll ever go to another concert.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I don't know much about this John Cougar Whateverhisname is, but I know this:  BOB hangs onto his money for as long as possible, too.  He's not refunding anything back to those teams that have to give him allowance anytime soon.  If BOB played guitar, his name would just be BOB MellonBANK.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

0A3F2828231A28282324284D0 wrote: I don't know much about this John Cougar Whateverhisname is, but I know this:  BOB hangs onto his money for as long as possible, too.  He's not refunding anything back to those teams that have to give him allowance anytime soon.  If BOB played guitar, his name would just be BOB MellonBANK.

;D ;D ;D