Archer finished

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Archer finished

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I should also add: the bummer of this for me is that Chris Archer seems like a genuinely great human being. He's good with fans and he really wanted to be in Pittsburgh. That's kind of rare. It sucks that his legacy in town will be as a complete bust that screwed the franchise for half a decade.
SyrBucco

Archer finished

Post by SyrBucco »

303C35382F73293430322935246F6D1D3A305D0 wrote: I should also add: the bummer of this for me is that Chris Archer seems like a genuinely great human being. He's good with fans and he really wanted to be in Pittsburgh. That's kind of rare. It sucks that his legacy in town will be as a complete bust that screwed the franchise for half a decade.
I feel the same way.
fjk090852-7

Archer finished

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.
Ecbucs

Archer finished

Post by Ecbucs »

7C70712A232A222F28372D1A0 wrote: I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.

this makes sense to me. After all this team was expecting Derek Holland to be a starter this season. Its not like the Bucs have too many pitchers. Archer may be open to it unless he wants to get out of town ASAP.
NJBucsFan

Archer finished

Post by NJBucsFan »

577170677161120 wrote: I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.

this makes sense to me.  After all this team was expecting Derek Holland to be a starter this season.  Its not like the Bucs have too many pitchers.  Archer may be open to it unless he wants to get out of town ASAP.
Makes sense to me too. I can't imagine he'd get a good contract anywhere at this point, might as well try to rebuild here on a one year deal and hopefully go to a major league team after that.  ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Archer finished

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.

I'm guessing Archer's agent will want him to go where he can get the most money.  But Archer seems to be a good guy who likes Pittsburgh and the organization, especially the new coaches.  He might be willing to take a bit less money to prove to everyone here that he can still pitch and that the trade wasn't all bad.  I wouldn't mind if he returned, healthy of course, because the club could likely use an experienced arm in 2021.
steve49

Archer finished

Post by steve49 »

2E222B26316D372A2E2C372B3A717303242E430 wrote: This seems like a million years ago but toward the end of last year my thinking was: don't pick up his option for this year. Accept the mistake and move on. Take the money you'd pay him this year and apply it to a different, better free agent pitcher.

The truth is he wouldn't have done all that well this year either and next year it would be the same result: they would have realized he wasn't worth the $11 million option.

So all we've really lost at this point is half a season of mediocre pitching in what will be (for us) a meaningless season anyway.

Great thinking if there was a floor on what teams had to spend on team payroll. That said if the Pirates didn't pick up that option , there is no way they would take that , add some millions to it and sign a "better free agent pitcher. But , hey it's OK for you to dream....
WildwoodDave

Archer finished

Post by WildwoodDave »

767A7B2029202825223D27100 wrote: He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.
I certainly agree with you on that
WildwoodDave

Archer finished

Post by WildwoodDave »

055345515E44545F524577505A565E5B1954370 wrote: I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.

I'm guessing Archer's agent will want him to go where he can get the most money.  But Archer seems to be a good guy who likes Pittsburgh and the organization, especially the new coaches.  He might be willing to take a bit less money to prove to everyone here that he can still pitch and that the trade wasn't all bad.  I wouldn't mind if he returned, healthy of course, because the club could likely use an experienced arm in 2021.

The club could use anything in 2021
2drfischer@gmail.c

Archer finished

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5C62676F7C64646F4F6A7D6E0B0 wrote: I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.

The club could use anything in 2021

Including me..