Should Rob Manfred Be Replaced

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5153494F593C0 wrote: An enforced strike zone, in my opinion, would help a lot. It would help to if a pitch only had to touch the outside line to be a strike.
That's how the electronic strike is computed. Any part of the ball hitting any part of the plate. I think it was last season when it was tried in some minor league games and players bashed the system saying balls/strikes were not being called correctly because of that. They just weren't used to them being called correctly.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

012C21303726317172430 wrote: An enforced strike zone, in my opinion, would help a lot. It would help to if a pitch only had to touch the outside line to be a strike.
That's how the electronic strike is computed. Any part of the ball hitting any part of the plate. I think it was last season when it was tried in some minor league games and players bashed the system saying balls/strikes were not being called correctly because of that. They just weren't used to them being called correctly. 

Exactly
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

7E7C666076130 wrote: An enforced strike zone, in my opinion, would help a lot. It would help to if a pitch only had to touch the outside line to be a strike.
?
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

742234202F35252E233406212B272F2A6825460 wrote: Rather than retype my thoughts, I'll link to what I posted on Twitter today. I'm disgusted by these rule changes. The NL DH and extra innings fiasco did it for me. I'll probably still tune in, because that's my addiction, but I'm just disgusted right now. Yes, get rid of Manfred. He, the owners, the players...they've ruined the greatest game in the world.

https://twitter.com/FrPBehm/status/1275 ... 04809?s=20

We're experiencing connection issues this morning so I was unable to read your tweet but, like you, I'm having difficulty understanding why oddball rules changes are necessary.  For me, if the owners have concerns about making the game more attractive for people with shorter attention spans, the solution is so very simple:  have the umpires enforce the rules.  After stern warnings for the first infraction, if a pitcher doesn't work in the allotted time, the batter receives a base on balls.  If the hitter wanders from the batter's box, he's called out.  If either argues, they're ejected.  If the umpires slack in enforcing the rules, they risk suspension.

I think the reason why players are taking so long between pitches is because of the analytics.  The game has become so over-thought that the managers, coaches, and players are paralyzed by all of the thinking they're doing, calculating the odds of what the next pitch should be based on the current situation.  After all of that, to see the result of an at bat now mostly being a strike out, walk, or home run, where no on-field action occurs, it's no wonder fans are bored.  Making it worse is the current philosophy of running up pitch counts which extend at bats, many of which end in one of those boring outcomes.

Weird rules aren't needed.  The pace of the game would improve dramatically just by enforcing two rules already in place.
Totally agree Doc. [highlight]And the rule most in need of enforcement is the strike zone.[/highlight] And since umps can't or won't enforce it, I'm all for an electronic piece in the ump's ear to let him know so he can signal ball or strike and still be there for foul balls, HBPs, balks, catcher's interference and plays at the plate. Nothing has delayed the game more than the pitch count strategy. Make the pitcher get to 100 ASAP to force the other mgr to get into his BP. Batters don't have look for a strike to hit because it might not even be called a strike. Work that count. When I watch games that display the pitch track in the corner it seems about a third to a half of pitches in every AB are called wrong. Batters know a strike isn't necessarily a strike so they take pitches to drive the count up. Send batters to the plate knowing they won't get the benefit of bad calls and they will focus on hitting rather than taking as many pitchers as possible. Do that for every batter and the game will speed up.

Another good point.  It seems that in the current game, a walk is regarded to be better than a hit because of the extra pitches that are thrown.  But it has to be more difficult to draw a walk than to get a hit.  After all, how many times does a hitter end a season with more walks than hits?  Barry Bonds had more walks than hits seven times (all during his final years when teams refused to pitch to him).  Ted Williams did it once.  Babe Ruth never did it.

As for the electronic strike zone, I'm completely against technology being part of the game but I've come to the point that the inconsistencies demonstrated by the umpires have become too much of a factor in the outcomes of at bats and, ultimately, games.  I'm not sure that their older eyes are good enough to follow the speed and movement of today's pitchers.  I'm willing to try the technology.
?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The rule most in need of enforcement is to put the funds that penny pinching owners receive from their peers towards the talent on the field of play rather than toward kicking more fans down more dead end streets.

Every rule of the sports begins with those who play it today, not five or ten years from today. Most won't even be here then.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Who cares about a 60 game season? Again, not ONE mention about all the millions owed to fans, but somehow we're supposed to be excited about there being a shortened season?

I want my money back. Once that happens, MLB can get back to me about my thoughts on all this stupidity. This could have been decided months ago, using some sort of sliding scale for number of games.

Enjoy 2021. It's the last remnant of MLB. 2022 will feature a "new and improved" game appealing to the casual consumer, hoping that it will be the "in" thing for youth. It will be the flagship season for what will mark the beginning of the slide into obscurity for the game called baseball.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I consider it a combination of batting practice and exhibition games.

No way can I take this seriously.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

251007070C3507070C0B07620 wrote: I consider it a combination of batting practice and exhibition games.

No way can I take this seriously.
TV money- serious stuff
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

0C2A2D38313D2A3C345F0 wrote: Who cares about a 60 game season? Again, not ONE mention about all the millions owed to fans, but somehow we're supposed to be excited about there being a shortened season?

I want my money back. Once that happens, MLB can get back to me about my thoughts on all this stupidity. This could have been decided months ago, using some sort of sliding scale for number of games.

Enjoy 2021. It's the last remnant of MLB. 2022 will feature a "new and improved" game appealing to the casual consumer, hoping that it will be the "in" thing for youth. It will be the flagship season for what will mark the beginning of the slide into obscurity for the game called baseball.

Amen. The rules changes they’ve forced down our throats have made a mockery of the game. I’m not even sure 2021 will qualify as baseball. At least I can comfortably forego my MLB.tv subscription this year. I’m disgusted by MLB, and that’s enough for me not to renew my subscription. But apparently, the schedule breaks down like this...ten games each against divisional opponents. Four games each against opposite division teams in the other league. That means for me living in Iowa, 42 of 60 games will be blacked out, because, heaven forbid I’m a season where they’re throwing everything else out the window, they couldn’t possibly throw out the most arcane of baseball rules...the blackout.

Running the bases and swinging a bat are such a threat of injury to these perfectly tuned specimens of professional pitchers. It’s utterly astounding to me that hundreds of thousands of Little Leaguers manage to run the bases each year without getting injured.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A4241766045626D030 wrote: Who cares about a 60 game season? Again, not ONE mention about all the millions owed to fans, but somehow we're supposed to be excited about there being a shortened season?

Amen. The rules changes they’ve forced down our throats have made a mockery of the game. I’m not even sure 2021 will qualify as baseball. At least I can comfortably forego my MLB.tv subscription this year. I’m disgusted by MLB, and that’s enough for me not to renew my subscription. But apparently, the schedule breaks down like this...ten games each against divisional opponents. Four games each against opposite division teams in the other league. That means for me living in Iowa, 42 of 60 games will be blacked out, because, heaven forbid I’m a season where they’re throwing everything else out the window, they couldn’t possibly throw out the most arcane of baseball rules...the blackout.

Running the bases and swinging a bat are such a threat of injury to these perfectly tuned specimens of professional pitchers. It’s utterly astounding to me that hundreds of thousands of Little Leaguers manage to run the bases each year without getting injured.
I can't get excited about winning or losing a game in extra in extra innings by playing a different game. Baseball does not begin innings with a gift runner at 2B. Whatever that game is that will be played after 9 innings is not baseball. Why settle a baseball game tie by playing something different? How about bringing a table and Scrabble game onto the field after 9 innings of a tie game? The Scrabble winner gets to be declared winner of the baseball game. And I can't wait for the walk off wins when the dugout empties to mob the guy who drove in the gift runner. ::)