July 27 Game Thread - Bucs vs the Brew Crew

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

It’s the Pirates. They’re always in deep, deep doo-doo.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Crick has been a disaster.

4 down, 56 to go to draft Rocker
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6D6566514762454A240 wrote: How in the lord's name do you not PH Evans for Gonzales ? Utterly insanely stupid. Banjo hitter that was 1-28 last year with runners in scoring position gets the AB ?

Unimpressive work by Clint... I mean Derek. 

Feliz was given enough rope to hang the entire team.

What happened to Burdi?  He’s the potential start of the pen.

Gotta take the bunt off after those first two miserable attempts.

Agreed about Gonzales - felt like it was only a two out inning because there was no way Gonzales should be at the plate. 

Worst play of the game: Josh not going to 2nd in the bottom of the 9th.  If he goes to 2nd rather than 1st, the Pirates win 5-4.

Disagree about Bell. Get the sure out in that situation. Regardless, the Buccos aren’t going to miss the playoffs by a game. They’ll be lucky to be within ten games of the last postseason spot. This team is dreadful. Bullpen is horrid. If Taillon, Archer, Kela, and Vazquez were here, it would be a different story. But, Vazquez...yeah. Taillon and Archer being out pushes Kuhl and Brault to the rotation. Santana being suspended doesn’t help. This team is absolutely dreadful.

Regard Josh’s play in the 9th - my first impression, immediately after he took the out at 1st: Josh made the right move in the sure out. But once I considered the implications of the play - any base hit would tie the game the implication was huge - a tie game was almost automatically a win for the Brewers.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

71797A4D5B7E5956380 wrote: It’s the Pirates. They’re always in deep, deep doo-doo.

Unfortunately, a good point. :(
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

wins and losses don't matter this season. The goal is to see what sort of talent the Bucs have in the system so that Ben C. can build a future winner (by 2022)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

775150475141320 wrote: wins and losses don't matter this season.  The goal is to see what sort of talent the Bucs have in the system so that Ben C. can build a future winner (by 2022)

Wins and losses never do not matter.

It's how teams and players are measured against the competition.

No wonder we lose.

No wonder we don't know what we have and don't have.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3E392F27293E79750C2B212D2520622F23214C0 wrote: How in the lord's name do you not PH Evans for Gonzales ? Utterly insanely stupid. Banjo hitter that was 1-28 last year with runners in scoring position gets the AB ?

Unimpressive work by Clint... I mean Derek. 

Feliz was given enough rope to hang the entire team.

What happened to Burdi?  He’s the potential start of the pen.

Gotta take the bunt off after those first two miserable attempts.

Agreed about Gonzales - felt like it was only a two out inning because there was no way Gonzales should be at the plate. 

Worst play of the game: Josh not going to 2nd in the bottom of the 9th.  If he goes to 2nd rather than 1st, the Pirates win 5-4.

In a short season if your team is trying to win as many games as possible you need to manage like each game is vital. I don't understand why Feliz was in so long. He should only be a mop up man. If Burdi can't go two days in a row, he won't be a closer.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I don't have a problem with them resting Burdi. Take it slow and make sure he's totally back.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Bell didn't throw to 2B in the 9th because Bell knows better than anyone that he can't make that throw. A normal 1Bman makes that throw to force the potential tie runner at 2B when he was only half way to 2B. But Bell has hurled or bounced too many balls away trying to make what is a routine toss for a MLB player. I was not surprised he didn't make the throw and was actually pretty relieved he didn't try. The odds of him making that routine play were not good. This is what you settle for when you put a player at 1B who is defensibly incapable. When Heredia went to RF for defense in the 8th (a sound move), Osuna should have moved to 1B replacing Bell. With a 4-run lead and 2 more innings to protect it, if you want defense you don't leave a glaring hole at 1B while your best defensive 1Bman goes from RF to the bench.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I wonder if Shelton would have considered subbing Osuna at 1B if we'd only been up one or two runs.

You go into the ninth with a four-run lead you're generally not sweating the defensive replacements.