shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

"Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?"

You live in an alternative reality.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Rumors

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

425954555C505F310 wrote: "Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?"

Do you mean the one where the Pirates behave like a real major league organization, like the other clubs, and try to win? Why are you against that?
shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

673127333C26363D3027153238343C397B36550 wrote: "Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?"

______

Do you mean the one where the Pirates behave like a real major league organization, like the other clubs, and try to win?  Why are you against that?

______

As our best President ever once said "There you go again". I never said I was against acquiring FA in fact I said just the opposite. And I never ever said that I didn't want to see the Pirates try to win. In fact, once again, I said just the opposite. What color is the sky in your world?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Rumors

233835343D313E500 wrote: "Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?"

______

Do you mean the one where the Pirates behave like a real major league organization, like the other clubs, and try to win?  Why are you against that?

______

As our best President ever once said "There you go again".  I never said I was against acquiring FA in fact I said just the opposite.  And I never ever said that I didn't want to see the Pirates try to win.  In fact, once again, I said just the opposite.  What color is the sky in your world?

You seem to be stuck in a world where you continue to dwell on negatives of the past administration. The Pirates need a complete overhaul, which shouldn't include any one-year free agents who would improve the team's record by a game or two. That's a strategy you always clamor for, signing anyone just to sign him. What we need are real players, first-rate free agents. But you never seem to call for that, like you're against them spending money. I guess it's safer to just take little steps, but never get to the destination. Remember, it's not your money.
shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

095F495D524858535E497B5C565A525715583B0 wrote: "Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?"

______

______

As our best President ever once said "There you go again".  I never said I was against acquiring FA in fact I said just the opposite.  And I never ever said that I didn't want to see the Pirates try to win.  In fact, once again, I said just the opposite.  What color is the sky in your world?

You seem to be stuck in a world where you continue to dwell on negatives of the past administration.  The Pirates need a complete overhaul, which shouldn't include any one-year free agents who would improve the team's record by a game or two.  That's a strategy you always clamor for, signing anyone just to sign him.  What we need are real players, first-rate free agents.  But you never seem to call for that, like you're against them spending money.  I guess it's safer to just take little steps, but never get to the destination.  Remember, it's not your money.

_______

That's #3 and #7. I am not in favor of kicking the can down the road and hoping that Cherington is better than Huntington. Hope is not a plan. I have no interest at all in rebuild #12, I want to see improvements to the team right now. If some better FA becomes available next year or 5 years from now, I am all for going after him next year or 5 years from now, but do something right now!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Rumors

5B404D4C454946280 wrote: "Why are you so against the Pirates spending money on quality free agents?"

______

______

You seem to be stuck in a world where you continue to dwell on negatives of the past administration.  The Pirates need a complete overhaul, which shouldn't include any one-year free agents who would improve the team's record by a game or two.  That's a strategy you always clamor for, signing anyone just to sign him.  What we need are real players, first-rate free agents.  But you never seem to call for that, like you're against them spending money.  I guess it's safer to just take little steps, but never get to the destination.  Remember, it's not your money.

_______

That's #3 and #7.  I am not in favor of kicking the can down the road and hoping that Cherington is better than Huntington.  Hope is not a plan.  I have no interest at all in rebuild #12, I want to see improvements to the team right now.  If some better FA becomes available next year or 5 years from now, I am all for going after him next year or 5 years from now, but do something right now!!!

So you're okay with a "do something right now" strategy of signing a free agent no other team wants to a one year contract that improves the club's record from 69-93 to 71-91, only to see him leave at the end of the year, to be replaced by another guy who improves the record to 72-90? I didn't realize you were in favor of retaining Huntington.

Why wouldn't you rather have the club spend say, $125 million in payroll, like other similar market clubs have all done, and get real free agents who can get that record up to 92-70? I thought you loved the Pirates and wanted them to win a World Series.
Ecbucs

Trade Rumors

Post by Ecbucs »

just approach the Pirates thinking, what would George Allen do?
shedman

Trade Rumors

Post by shedman »

"Why wouldn't you rather have the club spend say, $125 million in payroll, like other similar market clubs have all done, and get real free agents who can get that record up to 92-70? I thought you loved the Pirates and wanted them to win a World Series."

______

Absolutely, I want to see them spend $125 million in 2020 and then another $125 million in 2021 and another $125 million in 2022. If some player acquired in 2020 is gone in 2021 and replaced by another player of equal ability and/or salary in 2021, I am OK with it. However, I am not in favor of spending $60 million in 2020 and $62 million in 2021, and $65 million in 2022 with the promise that we will spend $125 million sometime in the undefined future when some prospect/suspect gets here.
GreenWeenie

Trade Rumors

Post by GreenWeenie »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: Here are the top 10 excuses and alibis that Cherington Apologists use for not acquiring a player.

1. He is an aging veteran on the decline.

2. He is too injury prone.

3. Acquiring him would bring us no closer to a championship.

4. He would never sign to play in Pittsburgh.

5. He would be a clubhouse cancer.

6. Acquiring him would upset the team chemistry.

7. Signing him would lose financial flexibility for a 1 year player.

8.We already have players just as good as him.

9. We are not the Red Sox or Yankees and they would outbid us.

10.He would block this LMG or that LMG from development.

This thread has already used some of these excuses and alibis.  The end result of this is that there is absolutely no way that Cherington can improve the worst team in all of baseball.

11. Ben can't make trades because he doesn't know what he has.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trade Rumors

7B606D6C656966080 wrote: "Why wouldn't you rather have the club spend say, $125 million in payroll, like other similar market clubs have all done, and get real free agents who can get that record up to 92-70?  I thought you loved the Pirates and wanted them to win a World Series."

______

Absolutely, I want to see them spend $125 million in 2020 and then another $125 million in 2021 and another $125 million in 2022.  If some player acquired in 2020 is gone in 2021 and replaced by another player of equal ability and/or salary in 2021, I am OK with it.  [highlight]However, I am not in favor of spending $60 million in 2020 and $62 million in 2021, and $65 million in 2022[/highlight] with the promise that we will spend $125 million sometime in the undefined future when some prospect/suspect gets here.

You're the only once who's ever expressed a desire to do that, actually, with your demands that BC "do something". You complain about every bottom-of-the-barrel free agent signed by another team, who's best years are behind him, whining that the Pirates should've signed him. Why waste time on those guys and, instead, sign the real free agents? I just don't understand you.