Game Thread - September 3 - Cubs vs Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

30000C17170A0D2E021010630 wrote: Moran or Bell long term, who you got?

I think Moran is turning into a more reliable bat and a better glove.

It's the Pirates. Long-term isn't very long, so I'll say neither.. That aside, I agree with you. Of the two, Moran. Not a very high bar to jump over.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

5204120609130308051220070D01090C4E03600 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 
Exactly! All you need to do is look at the Pirates 1960 stats. These weren't millionaires with personal trainers and workout rooms built into their mansions. And they won the WS with guys playing every day.

With 1 tie game that was replayed they had 155 games. Don Hoak played all of them, starting 152. He had such a good season he was #2 in NL MVP voting. Until Groat suffered a fractured wrist on Sept 6 he had started every game. He was NL MVP and batting champ. Maz started 150 of 155 and had a fine season. Clemente rarely sat unless injured and started 140 of 155 (90%). And that's just one team. All teams played their best guys as much as possible.

And Cal Ripken not only played every game, he was playing every inning. From June 5, 1982 thru the 7th inning of Sept 14, 1987 he never missed an inning. While playing every inning of 1983 with no rest at all he was the AL MVP. 

But now managers act like if guys don't get a constant pattern of rest they won't be able to perform well. But I see no evidence to support that theory.    

I know I'm going to sound like a "get off my lawn" old guy but, while I think the players today are every bit as good as players from all the other eras, I don't think the game is better.

I’m an old guy with a lawn and I definitely think today’s baseball player is superior than the players of the past. In the past you had a bunch of hard drinking hard partying white guys that were on year to year contracts. They were happy not to be in a coal mine or a farm. Today you have conditioned athletes from around the world.

I know this will not be popular but I believe Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter of all time. Babe Ruth never got a bases loaded intentional walk!
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

7C595A5A4F6459515344360 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 
Exactly! All you need to do is look at the Pirates 1960 stats. These weren't millionaires with personal trainers and workout rooms built into their mansions. And they won the WS with guys playing every day.

With 1 tie game that was replayed they had 155 games. Don Hoak played all of them, starting 152. He had such a good season he was #2 in NL MVP voting. Until Groat suffered a fractured wrist on Sept 6 he had started every game. He was NL MVP and batting champ. Maz started 150 of 155 and had a fine season. Clemente rarely sat unless injured and started 140 of 155 (90%). And that's just one team. All teams played their best guys as much as possible.

And Cal Ripken not only played every game, he was playing every inning. From June 5, 1982 thru the 7th inning of Sept 14, 1987 he never missed an inning. While playing every inning of 1983 with no rest at all he was the AL MVP. 

But now managers act like if guys don't get a constant pattern of rest they won't be able to perform well. But I see no evidence to support that theory.    

I know I'm going to sound like a "get off my lawn" old guy but, while I think the players today are every bit as good as players from all the other eras, I don't think the game is better.

I’m an old guy with a lawn and I definitely think today’s baseball player is superior than the players of the past. In the past you had a bunch of hard drinking hard partying white guys that were on year to year contracts. They were happy not to be in a coal mine or a farm. Today you have conditioned athletes from around the world.

I know this will not be popular but I believe Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter of all time. Babe Ruth never got a bases loaded intentional walk!
Was able to watch the game on MLB=Raise It
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

082D2E2E3B102D252730420 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 

I also think today's athletes are better. Bigger, stronger, faster and rich enough to stay in great shape year round. But the "hard drinking hard partying white guys" comment is invalid from the mid 1950s on when Mays, Aaron, Banks, Campenella, Newcombe and others had an impact.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

54646873736E694A667474070 wrote: Moran or Bell long term, who you got?

I think Moran is turning into a more reliable bat and a better glove.

As Artie Johnson from Laugh-In would say: Very Interesting.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

614447475279444C4E592B0 wrote: I'm really hard pressed to understand why these strong young men can't play every day.  Hayes is already being given a day off?  If Cal Ripken were in the Pirates system, he wouldn't have been brought to Pittsburgh until he was 26, and then he'd have been rested every 10 days or so.  No one would've ever heard of him. 

[highlight]I’m an old guy with a lawn and I definitely think today’s baseball player is superior than the players of the past.[/highlight] In the past you had a bunch of hard drinking hard partying white guys that were on year to year contracts. They were happy not to be in a coal mine or a farm. Today you have conditioned athletes from around the world.

I think the stars from each era are about the same in terms of talent. Those players would be able to play in any era and be just as good. It could probably be said that those of similar skill levels, regardless of the era, would be comparable, too. Much has changed since 1876, including equipment, style of living, field conditions, nutrition, medical knowledge, travel, night games, etc. Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better baseball players. It's fun to argue about, though.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Babe Ruth wouldn't- and couldn't make a MLB club today; not even the Pirates.

Not a slight to Ruth or players of his era.  They were among the most gifted athletes of their time.

But, times continue to change.

The linemen of only 80 years ago.....are punters and placekickers today.  230 lbs.

Ruth was a giant.  Today, shortstops are his size.

Saying that his conditioning was too poor to make today's teams is a polite understatement.

And, with his nightlife as well as daily habits?  No possible way. 

Not even close. He would never be on time for a night game.