Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

I assume all of those are in millions. Except the Pirates. Theirs is actually $15.25. :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

2D363B3A333F305E0 wrote: Yeah, I guess we have to be realistic.  We are the worst team in all of baseball and there is  no way to improve it except to hope that the players we already have under contractual control play better.  [highlight]There isn't even 1 FA available in the off season that could help the worst team in all of baseball.[/highlight]  We have nothing to trade so we can't expect any help there either.  We need to get rid of Kela, Archer, and Polanco and replace them with LMG's and hope for the best.  BOB's dream has come true.

Not having a hole-in-one is making you more nutty by the day. Everybody knows just about every free agent available could help the Pirates. We're the worst team in baseball. The trick is convincing one or more of them into coming to the worst team in baseball that's operated by the worst owner in baseball. And your past logic of offering them one more dollar than any other team is as silly as it sounds. Players want to win. The Pirates owner doesn't. That's why free agents don't sign here.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

History, time and time, proves that to be false.

If the Green Bay Packers- at the time, as bad as the Pittsburgh Pirates- could lure a southern player- with ZERO ties to that area- like Reggie White to live there and play there, then any team is able to lure a player.

Reggie said, "God wanted me to go to Green Bay, and I listened."

As Mike Lupica said, "Yeah.  God....and $5 million."

Pay the money.

FAs won't come to The Burgh mainly because they- rightly, so- do not believe that BOB is truly committed to fielding a championship-level club. They came in the past, when we had an owner who was.

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

0355435758425259544371565C50585D1F52310 wrote: Yeah, I guess we have to be realistic.  We are the worst team in all of baseball and there is  no way to improve it except to hope that the players we already have under contractual control play better.  [highlight]There isn't even 1 FA available in the off season that could help the worst team in all of baseball.[/highlight]  We have nothing to trade so we can't expect any help there either.  We need to get rid of Kela, Archer, and Polanco and replace them with LMG's and hope for the best.  BOB's dream has come true.

Not having a hole-in-one is making you more nutty by the day.  Everybody knows just about every free agent available could help the Pirates.  We're the worst team in baseball.  The trick is convincing one or more of them into coming to the worst team in baseball that's operated by the worst owner in baseball.  And your past logic of offering them one more dollar than any other team is as silly as it sounds.  Players want to win.  The Pirates owner doesn't.  That's why free agents don't sign here.
It wouldn't take much to improve this dreadful team. Any productive FA would be an improvement. But by how much? This 19-41 team equates to a 51-111 team in a 162 game season. For a team that doesn't want to spend anyway, paying millions to improve a 51 win team to maybe 60 makes no sense. And they aren't going to spend for 3-4 FAs to make a considerable improvement. The only way paying for a productive FA makes sense is to have already developed an adequate team so that the FA can be a difference maker. Otherwise, it's just spending money to kick the can.

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Shed has a whole laundry list of apologies for reasons the Pirates won't spend money.

One is, "The team won't win even if we get the guy."

That's stupid.  You don't go from 3- something to world champion by getting one man. 

But, it's a good place to start.

Yinzers haven't learned by now that BOB has no INTENT to field a championbship-caliber club.  If he ever would, he knows that he'd have to pay for guys who get the deed done.

The draft & develop might work for OTHER clubs. That's "might"....and "other."  We're talking about OUR club.
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

The FA list is dreadful. Not too many options that would excite me, so I will complain that BC signed someone because 95% of this list sucks.

Interesting name on the pitching list though that would or should be pursued. Take the 2020 season away since it was dreadful, but Mike Minor would be a guy that could be in the wheelhouse. Had three productive years in a row before this season.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

We finished .317. 100% of our roster suck.

If only 95% of these guys suck, it would still be an improvement.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: Yeah, I guess we have to be realistic.  We are the worst team in all of baseball and there is  no way to improve it except to hope that the players we already have under contractual control play better.  [highlight]There isn't even 1 FA available in the off season that could help the worst team in all of baseball.[/highlight]  We have nothing to trade so we can't expect any help there either.  We need to get rid of Kela, Archer, and Polanco and replace them with LMG's and hope for the best.  BOB's dream has come true.

Not having a hole-in-one is making you more nutty by the day.  Everybody knows just about every free agent available could help the Pirates.  We're the worst team in baseball.  The trick is convincing one or more of them into coming to the worst team in baseball that's operated by the worst owner in baseball.  And your past logic of offering them one more dollar than any other team is as silly as it sounds.  Players want to win.  The Pirates owner doesn't.  That's why free agents don't sign here.
It wouldn't take much to improve this dreadful team. Any productive FA would be an improvement. But by how much? This 19-41 team equates to a 51-111 team in a 162 game season. For a team that doesn't want to spend anyway, paying millions to improve a 51 win team to maybe 60 makes no sense. And they aren't going to spend for 3-4 FAs to make a considerable improvement. The only way paying for a productive FA makes sense is to have already developed an adequate team so that the FA can be a difference maker. Otherwise, it's just spending money to kick the can.

You're exactly right. It would take two handsful of free agents to make this a winning team. And we all know that Bob Nutting isn't paying for that. It's not fantasy baseball.

BenM

Off Season Thread

Post by BenM »

Personally, I don't think free agency should be an emphasis for this team. Sure, you could sign some (or even several) mediocre players for a couple of years that might help get to team to .500, but they are not going to give you a winner. (And their efforts will hurt your draft status.)

I think the most important things for the future of this team will be things we don't hear about. Development of international and domestic scouting staffs. Coming up with a plan that can build on the success of Hayes, the success of the pitching staff late this season and help minor leaguers like Nick Gonzales who miss a year of development. Etc.

I don't think payroll is the problem at this stage. Lack of internally developed relatively cheap talent is. The Pirates finished 29th in payroll this year. But teams with 23 (Milwaukee), 24th (Cleveland), 25th (Oakland), 27th (Miami) and 28th (Tampa, with a huge assist from Huntington) payrolls made the playoffs. I understand the caveats (pro rating payrolls, short season, expanded playoff) but low payroll is not an insurmountable object to building a better team.

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

6E4942612C0 wrote: Personally, I don't think free agency should be an emphasis for this team. Sure, you could sign some (or even several) mediocre players for a couple of years that might help get to team to .500, but they are not going to give you a winner. (And their efforts will hurt your draft status.)

I think the most important things for the future of this team will be things we don't hear about. Development of international and domestic scouting staffs. Coming up with a plan that can build on the success of Hayes, the success of the pitching staff late this season and help minor leaguers like Nick Gonzales who miss a year of development. Etc.

I don't think payroll is the problem at this stage. Lack of internally developed relatively cheap talent is. The Pirates finished 29th in payroll this year. But teams with 23 (Milwaukee), 24th (Cleveland), 25th (Oakland), 27th (Miami) and 28th (Tampa, with a huge assist from Huntington) payrolls made the playoffs. I understand the caveats (pro rating payrolls, short season, expanded playoff) but low payroll is not an insurmountable object to building a better team.
True. Teams with productive young players, most of whom have not accrued enough service time to get big salaries, can be good with low payrolls. That should be where the Pirates want to head. Of course once you reach that stage, you need to put some money into the operation to keep your players or acquire other productive ones. But that's getting ahead of ourselves. First things first. They need to assemble a team of good young players in the early years of their service time. Currently, they have a team full of mostly unproductive young players in the early years of their service time. So the only similarity between the Pirates and those other teams is the low payroll. So it ultimately comes back to whether or not the new regime can identify and develop talent.