The Playoffs Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

The Playoffs Thread

Post by BenM »

725453464F4354424A210 wrote:

It's readily apparent that at least for the first few rounds, scoring primarily via the HR is the way of baseball for the time being. IDK what kind of statistics are on all of this, I know they showed the Rays had scored almost 80 percent of their runs from the HR so far in the playoffs.

It's the rise of the Three True Outcomes (home run, strike out, walk) strategy. This is a pretty good article about it, with stats.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Unless it's the Pirates. Then, it's strike out, weak pop up, and loss. :(((
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Playoffs Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

11363D1E530 wrote:

It's readily apparent that at least for the first few rounds, scoring primarily via the HR is the way of baseball for the time being. IDK what kind of statistics are on all of this, I know they showed the Rays had scored almost 80 percent of their runs from the HR so far in the playoffs.

It's the rise of the Three True Outcomes (home run, strike out, walk) strategy. This is a pretty good article about it, with stats.

Baseball's pretty boring when the three outcomes reign.  It's like watching basketball players shoot free throws.  I'd much rather see a double with men on base, the defense working in concert to try to throw out one of the runners, than watch a guy smash a ball 50 rows back and then trot around the bases.
mouse

The Playoffs Thread

Post by mouse »

The sense I have is that baseball is heading toward a home-run derby model for the game.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

7A78626472170 wrote: The sense I have is that baseball is heading toward a home-run derby model for the game.
Chicks dig the long ball. So does everybody else, except for selfish, greedy, incompetent, carpetbagging owners who don't want to pay to get them.
DemDog

The Playoffs Thread

Post by DemDog »

0035222229102222292E22470 wrote: The sense I have is that baseball is heading toward a home-run derby model for the game.
Chicks dig the long ball.  So does everybody else, except for selfish, greedy, incompetent, carpetbagging owners who don't want to pay to get them.

My chick digs the longball bat! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

But...when some Johnny Come Lately Suspect of the Year rolls into town, you very well could get DFA'd unless you open up that big, fat wallet and offer her a nice big EXTENSION!. $$$$$$

Only kidding of course.
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Astros advance to ALCS 4th year in a row. Braves in NLCS first time in 19 years. Dodgers back for another run also in NLCS.

Rays and Yankees go to game 5. Glasnow vs. Cole. I imagine somewhere Neal Huntington is saying "if I had an owner who would have spent money..." While no doubt thinking that Charlie Morton has won 5 consecutive playoff starts including game 3 of this series. 
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I spoke to Neal the other day, and yeah, he moaned about that a-gain.

I had to set him straight and bring him back to reality.

I told him, "Think about it.  If BOB spent money....he never would have hired you in the first place!" 

I don't think that made him feel much better. 
BenM

The Playoffs Thread

Post by BenM »

765057424B4750464E250 wrote: Astros advance to ALCS 4th year in a row. Braves in NLCS first time in 19 years. Dodgers back for another run also in NLCS.

Rays and Yankees go to game 5. Glasnow vs. Cole. I imagine somewhere Neal Huntington is saying "if I had an owner who would have spent money..." While no doubt thinking that Charlie Morton has won 5 consecutive playoff starts including game 3 of this series. 

The only time Nutting didn't pinch pennies led to a disastrous Archer trade that set the franchise back years. And it wasn't like they were under the pressure of losing those guys to impending free agency. Glasnow still has three years left, Meadows four. And Baz is a top five prospect in their system.