Will The Bucs Make A Move Before The Christmas Break

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

I thought I saw that BC wanted the challenge of building a team on his own. You don't do that by grabbing a couple of cheap (by most team's standards) free agents and slapping them into the lineup in hope of winning 82 games. I think BC plans to start with young players and build from there. That means trading for prospects or near ML ready players.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3E3C262036530 wrote: I thought I saw that BC wanted the challenge of building a team on his own. You don't do that by grabbing a couple of cheap (by most team's standards) free agents and slapping them into the lineup in hope of winning 82 games. I think BC plans to start with young players and build from there. That means trading for prospects or near ML ready players.

yeah, getting wins in 2020 is far down the priority list. Unlike NH, it doesn't look like BC is even going to try and pretend he is trying to win right now.
TBird

Post by TBird »

IMO Numbnut will continue to wait until all the good/decent players who are within his cheap price range are all signed then dumpster dive for has beens and crappy players . So I wont be surprised to see a whole bunch of signings around when ST starts to fill out the rosters.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4143595F492C0 wrote: I thought I saw that BC wanted the challenge of building a team on his own. You don't do that by grabbing a couple of cheap (by most team's standards) free agents and slapping them into the lineup in hope of winning 82 games. I think BC plans to start with young players and build from there. That means trading for prospects or near ML ready players.

Yes, but Nutting has said this isn't a rebuild and that the Pirates want to improve the offense. We have done nothing to do that.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5E4E4F786E6E620D0 wrote: I thought I saw that BC wanted the challenge of building a team on his own. You don't do that by grabbing a couple of cheap (by most team's standards) free agents and slapping them into the lineup in hope of winning 82 games. I think BC plans to start with young players and build from there. That means trading for prospects or near ML ready players.

Yes, but Nutting has said this isn't a rebuild and that the Pirates want to improve the offense.  We have done nothing to do that.

I guess if there are going to be any additions to the roster they will occur after the New Year. It has been a very quiet December for the Pirates.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

We can cross Kole Calhoun off our list. He signed a 2-yr. deal for 6M, 8M and a 2M buyout on a 3rd year. Sounds like a bargain.

You may recall that MLBTradeRumors predicted that we would sign Calhoun. So much for that. 'Tis the Winter of my discontent!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B414A7A4D5B5B57380 wrote: We can cross Kole Calhoun off our list. He signed a 2-yr. deal for 6M, 8M and a 2M buyout on a 3rd year. Sounds like a bargain.

You may recall that MLBTradeRumors predicted that we would sign Calhoun. So much for that. 'Tis the Winter of my discontent!
Calhoun is 32 and hit .244, .208 and .232 the past 3 years. He also Ks a lot. He hit 33 HRs last year but previously had only 1 season with more than 19 and the ball seemed juiced last year so who knows what 2020 will bring? He gets 6 mil in 2020 and 8 mil in 2021. In 2022 he either gets a team option 9 mil or a 2 mil buyout. So he's guaranteed 16 mil. The Pirates are rebuilding and will be continuing to develop current players while giving opportunities to other young players. They weren't going to invest 16 mil to add an aging who at best is an all or nothing power guy who hits for a low average, Ks frequently and might not be much of a power hitter anyway depending on the ball that's used in 2020.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: We can cross Kole Calhoun off our list. He signed a 2-yr. deal for 6M, 8M and a 2M buyout on a 3rd year. Sounds like a bargain.

Calhoun is 32 and hit .244, .208 and .232 the past 3 years. He also Ks a lot. He hit 33 HRs last year but previously had only 1 season with more than 19 and the ball seemed juiced last year so who knows what 2020 will bring? He gets 6 mil in 2020 and 8 mil in 2021. In 2022 he either gets a team option 9 mil or a 2 mil buyout. So he's guaranteed 16 mil. The Pirates are rebuilding and will be continuing to develop current players while giving opportunities to other young players. They weren't going to invest 16 mil to add an aging who at best is an all or nothing power guy who hits for a low average, Ks frequently and might not be much of a power hitter anyway depending on the ball that's used in 2020.
You're probably right, Bobster. It may just be that I am terribly frustrated at the Pirates' inaction this offseason. I definitely think we need help in RF because I don't trust Polanco's health. Several reasonably priced options are available. Do we really have to wait until only the table scraps are left?

Rebuilds are tough on this old man.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

604A41714650505C330 wrote: We can cross Kole Calhoun off our list. He signed a 2-yr. deal for 6M, 8M and a 2M buyout on a 3rd year. Sounds like a bargain.

You're probably right, Bobster. It may just be that I am terribly frustrated at the Pirates' inaction this offseason. I definitely think we need help in RF because I don't trust Polanco's health. Several reasonably priced options are available. Do we really have to wait until only the table scraps are left?

Rebuilds are tough on this old man.

I hear ya. But I think we have to lower our expectations. The combination of Nutting's eternal quest to avoid spending money and the legitimate need to give opportunities to younger players pretty much guarantees they won't make a substantial investment in any veterans. Even for RF where I have always been disappointed with Polanco and hoped for an upgrade. If Frazier isn't dealt, I could see him as an OFer in 2020 wth a glut of infielders available (Newman, Tucker, Kramer, Gonzalez). Another possibility is some sort of combination of Polanco, Craig, Martin and Reyes. I've been watching the Orioles' total rebuild the last few years and they don't even have 3 OFers you could call their starters as they are always looking at different players. The Pirates look set in at least 1 spot (Reynolds) and possibly 2 (If Marte isn't dealt) but RF will quite possibly be a revolving door.
mouse

Post by mouse »

And Marte has now moved to the top of mlbtr's trade list. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/ ... pdate.html

I agree - I expect 2020 to be a season of trying people out, young players getting a shot.