Mustgroove Up For Sale

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by GreenWeenie »

202731393720676B12353F333B3E7C313D3F520 wrote: Every team knows that Ben has to move Musgrove. The return will be much like Bell - a warm body for the Major league team and a prospect with decent potential 2-3 years away.  Even though Musgrove is worth much more to the Pirates, he’s worth less to any trade partners AND any trade partner knows Ben has to move him.

Sounds like a bad deal for the Pirates but BC has to do it.  No choice as long as the prospect is at least decent.

I'm not convinced that Cherington has no other choice but to dump Musgrove.

I think that If all Cherington gets is a Bell-like return for Musgrove, he'd be a fool to trade him.  Now, if BOB gives him orders to dump salary, then that's another story.

He's got to get a little better return for Musgrove than for Bell.  I think that the demand for mid-tier (Musgrove) pitching is higher than for mid-tier (Bell) position players.  Musgrove did better than Bell recently, so there should be fewer questions about him.

If it's a matter of money- which I assume that none of us know- then the Pirates are headed for trouble.  Musgrove's salary surely can't be a burden. 

Bobster21

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by Bobster21 »

I would take Musgrove into the season and hope he pitched well enough to be of value to some teams who need another pitcher. At that time, teams will see how things shake out in terms of injuries and performance by others and Musgrove might be the best of what's available for a team in need. Right now he's just an average at best pitcher and teams have the rest of the off season to try to find someone better. So I think the return for him will be better if they wait. They traded low on Bell and I don't know what the hurry was to trade him after a dismal season.
MaineBucs

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by MaineBucs »

I concur with the sentiment that there should be no desperate momentum to trade Musgrove. The Pirates should be content to open the season with him and hope that 1) He pitches well and increases his value, and 2) That he doesn't suffer one of what I view as his all too frequent minor injuries. Musgrove is one of the few potentially valuable trade chips that BC has and he should (must) not sell low.

Also, in looking at the current 40 man roster, at some point, BC will need to add some position players. At present there are 25 pitchers, 2 catchers, 9 infielders and 4 outfielders. Among the outfielders Polanco is now hurt (again), Alford is returning from injury and Oliva has only a handful (small hands at that) of ML at-bats. While Evans, Tucker and Frazier all have seen time in the OF, with the potential exception of Evans, that should not be their future role with the Pirates. I also assume that Frazier will be traded before the season starts.

While there is some duff among the pitchers on the ML roster who could be lost with no significant or long-term harm to the organization (why is Crick still on the roster?), unless BC thinks he can pass quite a few of these folks through waivers and not lose them (such as occurred with Clay Holmes and Will Craig), at some point, there are only so many pitchers that you can carry on the roster.

While I would much prefer to watch a team that could actually compete for a playoff spot, I currently accept that BC must work to rebuild the organization.
ArnoldRothstein

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

That he doesn't suffer one of what I view as his all too frequent minor injuries.

This is why I think that if you decide to trade a pitcher, the time to do it is now. Just too many things can go wrong with them.
JollyRoger

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by JollyRoger »

6979784F5959553A0 wrote: Is it against the law to actually trade for a catching prospect?

I have been begging for one.  But then again, we don't need one for a while.  Perez and Susac will be fine for what we trot out after Stallings gets dealt.  Seems like after the Padres got Darvish, its between Toronto and Anaheim for Musgrove.

Before the Padres dealt for Snell and Darvish, I was hoping we could try to pry Campusano away for a Musgrove/ Frazier package.