What Move do the Pirates need to make?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

032524332535460 wrote: No idea that you're new, so welcome!

I don't want to be a target of any interplanetary warfare, so as much as I'd like to leave BOB on Mars, I guess we'll have to take him back at some point.

To quote our late friend from the now defunct PMB, Hostage, "we've got more holes than Swiss Cheese."  It was true then (before we had our post-season "run) and it's so much more true today.  So, ANY move is a good one.  That's why I'm disappointed that we haven't had even one (NOT the 25 that certain people give the impression that I was looking for.)

I have to say SP.  IDC what anybody says, our SP isn't good enough to get us anywhere.  So, I would begin there by looking at the stud available FA.  We don't have squat to offer up in a trade, and our opponents aren't looking for bridges.  So, with BOB somewhere in the solar system, I would take some of his bundle of cash that he has sitting collecting interest and dividends in First of Wheeling and lure Trevor Bauer, who will gladly come to The Burgh if that stack of money is high enough.  He can live in Tahiti or Monte Carlo the rest of the year, or anywhere he wants, but I want him pitching for us. 

We might not go the distance with Trevor Bauer, but, provided fans might someday be allowed to go to games, he would at least be a reason to pay for a ticket once in a while.  Give me something- anything- worth seeing.  Trevor Bauer is that guy.

Thanks!

Great response as well!  Bauer is a really good choice, not only is he a workhorse and durable, but he was obviously very good, propelling the Reds to the playoffs, where anything can happen, especially with a dominate SP like him.

Good point on trades as well, the Pirates obviously have some guys they can trade, but they are not going to get much impact back.  Those will all likely end up being for low level prospects that we likely never hear from again.

Buying a Bauer or a Springer, a man I've hoped we'd land for a long time, sends a message; a loud and clear one, that the Pirates mean business.  Get one, and other players take notice. 

All of a sudden, the Pirates are a team to consider, and not just for players who have no other choice.

Archer was supposed to be one of those guys, but Bauer or Springer are more clear.

those guys are 25 million plus a year players, maybe 35 million for Bauer.  That would certainly send a message that the Bucs no longer think one player shouldn't make a large portion of the payroll (of course the easiest way to remedy that is pay somebody else a lot of money too).

The person who used to make that Lopsided Guy Disturbs the Clubhoue Apology was dismissed.  It's bogus.

You can never have two guys...until you have the first.  Get the first guy, you at least have a chance.  Without one, you wait over 40 years to hold the trophy, and have 39+ years to tell everybody how "winners" win.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Realistic move would be go after a guy like Derek Fisher in Toronto. Lefty bat and plays LF and has 4 years control. Just stick him out there for the season , let him get comfortable and its his job to lose.

Move Reynolds to CF because that where he wants to play. We are stuck with Polanco . Alford gets to play all over as 4th,  OF taken care of .

Let Olivia / Swag play full year in AAA .Give Will Craig chance to play more OF, I can see he taking a step this year maybe a Craig Wilson type player we can squeeze a few good years from.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

69424346464344795E4B5E4345442A0 wrote: Realistic move would be go after a guy like Derek Fisher in Toronto. Lefty bat and plays LF and has 4 years control. Just stick him out there for the season , let him get comfortable and its his job to lose.

Move Reynolds to CF because that where he wants to play. We are stuck with Polanco . Alford gets to play all over as 4th,  OF taken care of .

Let Olivia / Swag play full year in AAA .Give Will Craig chance to play more OF, I can see he taking a step this year maybe a Craig Wilson type player we can squeeze a few good years from.

Who goes the other way to the Jays?
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

They were looking at Musgrove last year, maybe him. We will need a couple of other prospects, also . Or offer them Kuhl , one for one. I think he would be a great closer down the line .He has that attitude .

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7358595C5C595E63445144595F5E300 wrote: Realistic move would be go after a guy like Derek Fisher in Toronto. Lefty bat and plays LF and has 4 years control. Just stick him out there for the season , let him get comfortable and its his job to lose.

I would almost rather have the retired NBA Derek Fisher hit instead of the one you want to acquire. You realize his career BA is .194? He isn't an answer.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

416068416A62050 wrote: Realistic move would be go after a guy like Derek Fisher in Toronto. Lefty bat and plays LF and has 4 years control. Just stick him out there for the season , let him get comfortable and its his job to lose.

Who goes the other way to the Jays?

Worst bullpen arm we have.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

My one move of the fantastic variety - put the team up for sale.

Realistically, I’d trade whatever I need to from the 25 man (except Hayes) to get a slugging LHH corner OF prospect who is a top 100 guy that played at A+ in ‘19. A LF-only prospect is fine as long as they run well enough to cover the ground at PNC. Cruz ends up in RF to cover that. Along with Hayes, Gonzales, Peguero, Cruz, Martin, and maybe Swags or Reynolds, you have the makings of a good lineup - if they all meet their potential.

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4858596E7878741B0 wrote: Realistic move would be go after a guy like Derek Fisher in Toronto. Lefty bat and plays LF and has 4 years control. Just stick him out there for the season , let him get comfortable and its his job to lose.

I would almost rather have the retired NBA Derek Fisher hit instead of the one you want to acquire.  You realize his career BA is .194?  He isn't an answer.
Wow sounds like a deal NH would jump at, but no on Derek Fisher, the minors are full of guys like him.   We have a whole roster full of guys like him, Polanco, Oliva, Jones, Smith, etc.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4F575552524554534E4F593C0 wrote: Realistic move would be go after a guy like Derek Fisher in Toronto. Lefty bat and plays LF and has 4 years control. Just stick him out there for the season , let him get comfortable and its his job to lose.

I would almost rather have the retired NBA Derek Fisher hit instead of the one you want to acquire.  You realize his career BA is .194?  He isn't an answer.
Wow sounds like a deal NH would jump at, but no on Derek Fisher, the minors of full of guys like him.   We have a whole roster full of guys like him, Polanco, Oliva, Jones, Smith, etc.

Wow! .194?

Get Fisher & convert the guy to Pitcher!
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Well I was trying to be realistic , I mean we signed Riddle and those other 2 guys for OF depth last year. They were all weak career MLB hitters .

Fisher was a high pick from Astros Org. who got blocked and shipped off to Jays where he is blocked again.

They guy has been a solid AAA player with regular playing time . If he had started in the Bucs org. he would be on the team now.