A Candid Conversation with Bob Nutting

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

744A4F47544C4C476742554611230 wrote:

And next year at this time, we will be posting the same old thing

These are the words that cut right to the heart - it will be the same thing next year. Same interview. Same article with the same "tough" questions and the same "sincere" answers.

There is so much about this article that is wrong, but here's what get to me above all else: Nutting seems to take for granted there will be a "next time", another 2013-2015 is just around the corner. But the likelihood of any of us seeing anything approaching that brief period of success is remote.

Those years had legitimate stars some with extended years with the pirates'. 2015 was year 7 for both Cutch and Neil Walker. Pedro's year 6. K Hayes has made it clear that he's not going to unpack his bags in Pittsburgh, much less extend his stay.

Chris Archer showed that finding the next AJ is tougher than Bob probably realizes. Speaking of AJ, I doubt seriously that anyone like AJ will ever again take a pay cut just to play for the Pirates.

Doubtful we'll see another JA Happ fall in our laps for the next few dozen generations, doubtful we'll even pick up another Liriano. We might well carry a few more Cole's and Morton's, but of course their real value will be waiting for the trade deadline. Hard to believe we uncovered the value of The Shark over the likes of the Red Sox, even harder to believe Mark was on a Pirate Roster for 4 years. Bob - don't expect all this lightening to strike at the same time again, not for a long time.

Most likely, the next Pirate playoff team will be lightweights compared to the 2013-15 Pirates. Because Bob will expect something for nothing, again. He got the Pirates for pennies. THe 2013-2015 teams were next to nothing. Unless he's willing to invest INTO building a team, its not very likely Bob will ever have a team that he's willing to invest into.

More I look at 2013-2015, I think Neal Huntington was a genius. Darn good roster with a team that stayed together a pretty long time. Then in 2016 the Pirates quit. I doubt very seriously Neal quit, he could probably almost taste a WS. Nope, it had to be Bob. Bob quit. Neal's head probably exploded and THAT explains his final years.

This is what really steams me.

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7374626A6473343841666C60686D2F626E6C010 wrote:

These are the words that cut right to the heart - it will be the same thing next year.  Same interview.  Same article with the same "tough" questions and the same "sincere" answers.

There is so much about this article that is wrong, but here's what get to me above all else: Nutting seems to take for granted there will be a "next time", another 2013-2015 is just around the corner.  But the likelihood of any of us seeing anything approaching that brief period of success is remote. 

Those years had legitimate stars some with extended years with the pirates'.  2015 was year 7 for both Cutch and Neil Walker.  Pedro's year 6.  K Hayes has made it clear that he's not going to unpack his bags in Pittsburgh, much less extend his stay. 

Chris Archer showed that finding the next AJ is tougher than Bob probably realizes.  Speaking of AJ, I doubt seriously that anyone like AJ will ever again take a pay cut just to play for the Pirates. 

Doubtful we'll see another JA Happ fall in our laps for the next few dozen generations, doubtful we'll even pick up another Liriano.  We might well carry a few more Cole's and Morton's, but of course their real value will be waiting for the trade deadline.  Hard to believe we uncovered the value of The Shark over the likes of the Red Sox, even harder to believe Mark was on a Pirate Roster for 4 years.  Bob - don't expect all this lightening to strike at the same time again, not for a long time. 

Most likely, the next Pirate playoff team will be lightweights compared to the 2013-15 Pirates.  Because Bob will expect something for nothing, again.  He got the Pirates for pennies.  THe 2013-2015 teams were next to nothing.  Unless he's willing to invest INTO building a team, its not very likely Bob will ever have a team that he's willing to invest into.

More I look at 2013-2015, I think Neal Huntington was a genius.  Darn good roster with a team that stayed together a pretty long time.  Then in 2016 the Pirates quit.  I doubt very seriously Neal quit, he could probably almost taste a WS.  Nope, it had to be Bob.  Bob quit.  Neal's head probably exploded and THAT explains his final years.

I have been saying this for years concerning the Bucs. Forget the GM. It all starts at the top. For instance, a GM like Dombrowsky

would never take a job with the Pirates.
rucker59@gmail.com

5B6560687B636368486D7A693E0C0 wrote:

These are the words that cut right to the heart - it will be the same thing next year.  Same interview.  Same article with the same "tough" questions and the same "sincere" answers.

There is so much about this article that is wrong, but here's what get to me above all else: Nutting seems to take for granted there will be a "next time", another 2013-2015 is just around the corner.  But the likelihood of any of us seeing anything approaching that brief period of success is remote. 

Those years had legitimate stars some with extended years with the pirates'.  2015 was year 7 for both Cutch and Neil Walker.  Pedro's year 6.  K Hayes has made it clear that he's not going to unpack his bags in Pittsburgh, much less extend his stay. 

Chris Archer showed that finding the next AJ is tougher than Bob probably realizes.  Speaking of AJ, I doubt seriously that anyone like AJ will ever again take a pay cut just to play for the Pirates. 

Doubtful we'll see another JA Happ fall in our laps for the next few dozen generations, doubtful we'll even pick up another Liriano.  We might well carry a few more Cole's and Morton's, but of course their real value will be waiting for the trade deadline.  Hard to believe we uncovered the value of The Shark over the likes of the Red Sox, even harder to believe Mark was on a Pirate Roster for 4 years.  Bob - don't expect all this lightening to strike at the same time again, not for a long time. 

Most likely, the next Pirate playoff team will be lightweights compared to the 2013-15 Pirates.  Because Bob will expect something for nothing, again.  He got the Pirates for pennies.  THe 2013-2015 teams were next to nothing.  Unless he's willing to invest INTO building a team, its not very likely Bob will ever have a team that he's willing to invest into.

More I look at 2013-2015, I think Neal Huntington was a genius.  Darn good roster with a team that stayed together a pretty long time.  Then in 2016 the Pirates quit.  I doubt very seriously Neal quit, he could probably almost taste a WS.  Nope, it had to be Bob.  Bob quit.  Neal's head probably exploded and THAT explains his final years.

I have been saying this for years concerning the Bucs. Forget the GM. It all starts at the top. For instance, a GM like  Dombrowsky

would never take a job with the Pirates. 

Which brings back the question - how in the world did Nutting get his current GM who doesn't appear to need any gig he could find....
rucker59@gmail.com

I should add to my above post about lightening in a bottle - Jung Ho. Fruit was just falling into the Pirates basket those years. Bob Nutting will not likely ever be challenged about his promises because none of us are likely to see a team like the 2013-15 Pirates.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3B3C2A222C3B7C70092E24282025672A2624490 wrote: I should add to my above post about lightening in a bottle - Jung Ho.  Fruit was just falling into the Pirates basket those years.  Bob Nutting will not likely ever be challenged about his promises because none of us are likely to see a team like the 2013-15 Pirates.
That is a very sobering thought :'(
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think the Pirates will be top contenders in 2023. I don't think there will be a 2022. If there is, the Pirates will contend for the division.

I actually think this year's team could be very competitive if they had held on to Musgrove and Taillon. I would have predicted a 70 win team. They still might, I just think that even if there is some success with the SP, they won't be able to go the innings needed to keep from burning out the bullpen.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

7E796F67697E39354C6B616D6560226F63610C0 wrote:

This sounds like revisionist history.  I remember the debacle of all debacle and I remember that Bob didn't make the trade NH did.  Giving away 3 future stars for a washed up worthless pitcher was even worse than the Littlebrains deal of Matt somebody and he was so bad they just sent his home to sit on the couch and we paid him 10 million.  NH single handedly destroyed any hopes of  a immediate return to prominence.  He also kept the manager CH on 2 years after he retired really.   He traded GC for virtually nothing oh gosh the more I reminisce the worse it gets. 

I think NH has the award for worst GM of all times and the dude almost survived to continue his drunken sailor GM rain of terror but for a last minute decision to fire him.  I'm not defending Bob and I guess he ultimately is responsible for his hiring of Littlebrains and NH and Cherington.  My biggest gripe of Cherington is his hiring of Shelton.  I'm not impressed with the dude at all.  If he is (impressed) then I have to question his baseball knowledge.  What we saw last year and so far this year out of him is just awful, awful, awful.  The City of Pittsburg needs to put some pressure on Bob, this team is costing them millions in tax revenue. No one is going to come to the Burg and watch this clown show.