Official Game Thread - 4/21 - Bucs @ Tigers - Game 2

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

603620343B21313A372012353F333B3E7C31520 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

I had to be away from the radio for the first five innings.  Why is the run on Polanco?  What happened?

He turned a seeing eye single into an RBI double. 

It’s hard to explain, but basically he threw to a cut off man rather than go home or to 2nd. The cut off was about 50 ft away.
That's about as far as he can throw. And opponents know it. When Polanco fields a ball the runners just keep going. It wasn't even a strong throw to Frazier. It is obvious that Polanco's arm is inadequate for the OF and the more they "showcase" him the more obvious it is. And no one wants an $11 million DH who hits .170. I know they've been hoping he looked good enough to find a trade partner even if they had to eat a huge chunk of his salary. But that looks like a lost cause.

At this point I'd rather see Fowler get a chance to see if he can do anything and put Evans in RF when Hayes returns. Playing Polanco is counterproductive to winning. The best thing they can do is DFA Polanco. 

This is exactly correct.  It's a lost cause.  There's not much he can do, aside from playing like he's never played before, up to the Trade Deadline that will convince another GM to trade for him.  Release him and start playing for the future.

I have to agree. Putting him on display is killing the .02£ that he was worth at the beginning of the season.

I do think there was a time when Polanco could have been really really good. But that’s long gone.

Take his $$ and do something good in the world Gregory.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5651474F4156111D644349454D480A474B49240 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

I had to be away from the radio for the first five innings.  Why is the run on Polanco?  What happened?

It’s hard to explain, but basically he threw to a cut off man rather than go home or to 2nd. The cut off was about 50 ft away.
That's about as far as he can throw. And opponents know it. When Polanco fields a ball the runners just keep going. It wasn't even a strong throw to Frazier. It is obvious that Polanco's arm is inadequate for the OF and the more they "showcase" him the more obvious it is. And no one wants an $11 million DH who hits .170. I know they've been hoping he looked good enough to find a trade partner even if they had to eat a huge chunk of his salary. But that looks like a lost cause.

At this point I'd rather see Fowler get a chance to see if he can do anything and put Evans in RF when Hayes returns. Playing Polanco is counterproductive to winning. The best thing they can do is DFA Polanco. 

This is exactly correct.  It's a lost cause.  There's not much he can do, aside from playing like he's never played before, up to the Trade Deadline that will convince another GM to trade for him.  Release him and start playing for the future.

I have to agree.   Putting him on display is killing the .02£ that he was worth at the beginning of the season. 

I do think there was a time when Polanco could have been really really good.  But that’s long gone. 

Right. He's regressed over the past few years. When he was younger and the team was better, with players like McCutchen, Marte, Walker, Harrison, Mercer, Martin, Kang, etc, there weren't big expectations thrust upon him. But as those players left, he never rose to the occasion, whether it was because of injuries or that he really wasn't that good to begin with.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6A3C2A3E312B3B303D2A183F35393134763B580 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
That run is on Polanco

I have to agree.   Putting him on display is killing the .02£ that he was worth at the beginning of the season. 

I do think there was a time when Polanco could have been really really good.  But that’s long gone. 

Right.  He's regressed over the past few years.  When he was younger and the team was better, with players like McCutchen, Marte, Walker, Harrison, Mercer, Martin, Kang, etc, there weren't big expectations thrust upon him.  But as those players left, he never rose to the occasion, whether it was because of injuries or that he really wasn't that good to begin with.

I would go with the latter
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7D5C547D565E390 wrote: 1. Adam Frazier (L) 2B

2. Phillip Evans (R) 1B

3. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

4. Colin Moran (L) DH

5. Erik Gonzalez (R) SS

6. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

7. Dustin Fowler (L) CF

8. Rodolfo Castro (S) 3B

9. Michael Perez (L) C

Miguel Yajure (R) SP

Let's get the sweep!
When I saw 6 through 9, I knew we were in trouble. 0 for 10
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

5B5C4A424C5B1C10694E44484045074A4644290 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
His arm isn't that bad he just simply didn't know the situation and threw the ball lazily to Frazier and the Tigers took advantage.  Poor play all the way around.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7A626067677061667B7A6C090 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.
His arm isn't that bad he just simply didn't know the situation and threw the ball lazily to Frazier and the Tigers took advantage.  Poor play all the way around.

His arm is awful. He can't throw anymore. I mentioned this in another thread, watching his warm up tosses in the OF between innings. He doesn't extend his arm, he kind of short arms the throw trying to use mostly wrist. If you're not ambidextrous, it's similar to trying to throw with your opposite arm. You KNOW how you're supposed to throw it, but you can't get that "whip" action like you do with your dominant arm. Either his shoulder or his elbow is shot.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4F696E7B727E697F771C0 wrote: I think the Pirates have played good fundamentals.  But tgat was terrible.  Walkie given em a proper hard time.  Cheap run.

His arm is awful. He can't throw anymore. I mentioned this in another thread, watching his warm up tosses in the OF between innings. He doesn't extend his arm, he kind of short arms the throw trying to use mostly wrist. If you're not ambidextrous, it's similar to trying to throw with your opposite arm. You KNOW how you're supposed to throw it, but you can't get that "whip" action like you do with your dominant arm. Either his shoulder or his elbow is shot.

During the radio broadcast, Brown and Wehner even acknowledged that Polanco's arm has been shot since he had shoulder surgery. Wehner said that if a pitcher had that same surgery his career would be over.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I was impressed with Yujure. He pitched much better than his line suggests. Through 4 innings he gave up 1 run (a solo HR), just 2 total hits, 3 Ks, 0 BBs and all on only 40 pitches.

He gave up a HR to Schoop to open the 5th, then got a K swinging. Then he threw a perfect pitch to Goodrum that should have made the count 2-2 but the ump missed it and it was 3-1 which led to a BB. Then Baddoo hit a soft ground ball through the middle that was perfectly placed between Fowler and Polanco so that Polanco had a long run to get to the ball as it was dying in the grass and then compounded the problem with a soft toss to Frazier about 10 feet behind the 2B bag.

That seemed to unnerve Yajure who went 3-0 on the next batter before eventually walking him on a 3-2 pitch. Bednar than came in and allowed the runner at 2B to score on a single.

This was Yajure's first MLB start after 3 relief appearances last year with the Yankees. Without the ump mistaking a strike for a ball and the seeing eye double to a guy who can't throw, Yajure probably gets through the 5th with only the Schoop HR. All in all I thought he was impressive.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

755855444352450506370 wrote: I was impressed with Yujure. He pitched much better than his line suggests. Through 4 innings he gave up 1 run (a solo HR), just 2 total hits, 3 Ks, 0 BBs and all on only 40 pitches.

He gave up a HR to Schoop to open the 5th, then got a K swinging. Then he threw a perfect pitch to Goodrum that should have made the count 2-2 but the ump missed it and it was 3-1 which led to a BB. Then Baddoo hit a soft ground ball through the middle that was perfectly placed between Fowler and Polanco so that Polanco had a long run to get to the ball as it was dying in the grass and then compounded the problem with a soft toss to Frazier about 10 feet behind the 2B bag.

That seemed to unnerve Yajure who went 3-0 on the next batter before eventually walking him on a 3-2 pitch. Bednar than came in and allowed the runner at 2B to score on a single.

This was Yajure's first MLB start after 3 relief appearances last year with the Yankees. Without the ump mistaking a strike for a ball and the seeing eye double to a guy who can't throw, Yajure probably gets through the 5th with only the Schoop HR. All in all I thought he was impressive.

Over at DK Sports their writer was also impressed with this young man. “My big takeaways are that he painted the zone,” Derek Shelton said" Shelton goes on to say: “He worked back and forth, the slider was good, the curveball was good. I thought he threw the ball well. ... But overall, an impressive first start for a young kid.”

All I can say Bobster that Mitch Keller might need to take some lessons from Yajure in pitching in the zone and gaining confidence and not letting a bad pitch get him upset. BC seems to have gotten a good one in the Taillon trade.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

507179507B73140 wrote: I was impressed with Yujure. He pitched much better than his line suggests. Through 4 innings he gave up 1 run (a solo HR), just 2 total hits, 3 Ks, 0 BBs and all on only 40 pitches.

Over at DK Sports their writer was also impressed with this young man.  “My big takeaways are that he painted the zone,” Derek Shelton said"  Shelton goes on to say: “He worked back and forth, the slider was good, the curveball was good. I thought he threw the ball well. ... But overall, an impressive first start for a young kid.”

All I can say Bobster that Mitch Keller might need to take some lessons from Yajure in pitching in the zone and gaining confidence and not letting a bad pitch get him upset.  BC seems to have gotten a good one in the Taillon trade.
In 2019 Yajure had a combined A+/AA ERA of 2.14 and 133 Ks while walking just 1.9 per 9 IP. Wehner said the ERA and Ks were #1 in the minor leagues that year. He doesn't throw in the high 900s but had a nice control and hit his spots most of the time (even if the ump didn't notice). He was the Yankees #7 prospect.

Now let's see if Keller, the guy the Pirates thought would be the leader of the 2021 staff, can perform as well as ther guy who just made his 1st MLB start.