Frazier traded to Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wow, IDK about this, it seems the Pirates are getting roasted on SM about this trade.

And Heyman reports the money going to SD was to get better prospects.

Not knowing anything about these guys other than what people here are saying, but no one in SD is upset about what they traded.

SteadyFreddy

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Wonder if Moran is more likely to still be traded. Especially with how well Nogowski has played and with Mason Martin tearing it up in the Minors. Seems like the right time to unload him as well.
shedman

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by shedman »

"Pittsburgh fans expecting multiple top-100 type prospects may be disappointed by the return"...
WildwoodDave2

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

223934353C303F510 wrote: "Pittsburgh fans expecting multiple top-100 type prospects may be disappointed by the return"...
Any reaction from Frazier?

Speaking of that, where has Possum been?
WiffleballHero

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WiffleballHero »

Jon Heyman is reporting that Cherington had wanted Marcano as part of the Musgrove deal but San Diego said no dice. The Pirates' scouts must really like him.
Javy

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Javy »

On the surface, it seems that the return is really light.

The rankings in SD's farm system come after all of the previous trades they made. Who knows how much they will collectively return?

I don't sense a real upside here - more quantity than quality it seems.
UtahPirate

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by UtahPirate »

033D32323831363538381C31263B540 wrote: Jon Heyman is reporting that Cherington had wanted Marcano as part of the Musgrove deal but San Diego said no dice.  The Pirates' scouts must really like him.

If that is true then the Padres must have wanted more than just Frazier for Marcano hence the $1.4 payment. But if it was a one for one - Frazier for Marcano + $1.4M, Buc fans would come unglued so we get two throw-ins - an AA Ofer with some power and K's 30% of the time and an A+ reliever with really pedestrian numbers - to make BC look a little better. Do I have that right?

shedman

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by shedman »

So now we have given San Diego a possible Cy Young pitcher and a possible batting champion for nothing. Cherington is ruining this organization.
Bobster21

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

6676774056565A350 wrote: We get a couple of A ball suspects.  A flat out salary dump.
Where do you get your misinformation? They are reporting Marcano who is in AAA and is SD's #8 prospect and Suwinski who is in AA with 15 HRs in 216 ABs. And possibly 1 or more others.

Marcano is a utility guy that can't hit for shit.  He wouldn't be in the top 10 if SD didn't go crazy unloading its farm system last summer.  Suwinski isn't anywhere in their top 30 and the other dude only has 44 career at bats in the minor leagues at the age of 21.  We are sending 1.4 million to SD to get an upgrade in talent.  There is ZERO good in this deal.  Unless Suwinski turns into Jason Bay, nothing to see here at all.

I guess you're basing your analysis of Marcano on his first 44 ABs in MLB (.182). In 2018 he hit .395 in rookie league and .314 in low A. In 2018 he hit .270 in A-ball. There were no minor leagues in 2020 and he skipped AA and went to AAA this year where he has hit .272. I don't know much about him but it's pretty clear he can hit.
johnfluharty

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by johnfluharty »

I wouldn't be so quick to call Marcano a bust just yet.  He jumped from low A in '19 to AAA this year and still managed to hit 270 Plus in AAA.  Also, if you can look past the low batting average in the majors you see he has six walks against nine strikeouts in 50 plate appearances - doesn't seem like he was being overwhelmed.  I for one I'm curious about this guy and would like to see what he can do before I write him off.  I like Frasier but he is having a career year at age 29.