Anderson to wherever

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Anderson to wherever

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1D1516213712353A540 wrote: Anderson dealt to the Mariners. No word on return as of yet.
The return isn't much. A catcher and a 18yr. old pitcher who just turned pro
Bobster21

Anderson to wherever

Post by Bobster21 »

734D4840534B4B406045524116240 wrote: Anderson dealt to the Mariners. No word on return as of yet.
The return isn't much. A catcher and a 18yr. old pitcher who just turned pro
There was never going to be much of a return for Anderson. The proposed return for him from Philly wasn't much either. He's a mediocre NL pitcher with 2 months left on his contract. But they might as well get something for him before he walks as a FA.
GreenWeenie

Anderson to wherever

Post by GreenWeenie »

Mediocre. Only because he's no longer on the team.

And, I'm negative. All right.
Bobster21

Anderson to wherever

Post by Bobster21 »

784D5A5A51685A5A51565A3F0 wrote: Mediocre.  Only because he's no longer on the team.

And, I'm negative.  All right.
Comparing his stats to other MLB pitchers, he is mediocre. Just because he was the best pitcher on a weak Pirates team doesn't change how he compares across MLB when another team considers adding him to their rotation. A team that trades for him only considers his ability in how much they expect him to help their team. If BC tries to sell another GM on the idea that "He's our best pitcher!" the response would be, "Yeah, but look at your other pitchers."
johnfluharty

Anderson to wherever

Post by johnfluharty »

Reliable mediocrity is good in your 5th rotation spot, and it's worth giving up a couple of lower level middle tier prospects to get. Plus, since they're going to be a good team for a while they may extended him for a couple years.
SammyKhalifa

Anderson to wherever

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't know what all to think of ERA+, but I like that 100 is the average pitcher.

That's easy enough to understand.  His ERA+ over the years has been 137, 105, 104, 44(where he only pitched 20 innings), 100, 95. 

So he's a decent enough pitcher that the Ms should be happy to have for a few months.  He's giving very consistent innings this year.  I'd call that a little better than mediocre but it's in the ballpark so to speak.  It's a good move to replace your worst JeffKarstens pitcher with an average guy.  But I'm not sure what a fair trade value for that is.  I would have liked more but when don't I.
GreenWeenie

Anderson to wherever

Post by GreenWeenie »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Mediocre.  Only because he's no longer on the team.

Comparing his stats to other MLB pitchers, he is mediocre. Just because he was the best pitcher on a weak Pirates team doesn't change how he compares across MLB when another team considers adding him to their rotation. A team that trades for him only considers his ability in how much they expect him to help their team. If BC tries to sell another GM on the idea that "He's our best pitcher!" the response would be, "Yeah, but look at your other pitchers."

We could have used his 'mediocrity' last night, and nearly every future night.  ;)

Just a month ago, we had guys who wanted to extend this 'mediocre' guy we had.
WildwoodDave2

Anderson to wherever

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4E7C70706456757C71747B7C1D0 wrote: I don't know what all to think of ERA+, but I like that 100 is the average pitcher.

That's easy enough to understand.  His ERA+ over the years has been 137, 105, 104, 44(where he only pitched 20 innings), 100, 95. 

So he's a decent enough pitcher that the Ms should be happy to have for a few months.  He's giving very consistent innings this year.  I'd call that a little better than mediocre but it's in the ballpark so to speak.  It's a good move to replace your worst JeffKarstens pitcher with an average guy.  But I'm not sure what a fair trade value for that is.  I would have liked more but when don't I.
MLB listed the 11 players most likely to be traded- Rich Rod, Marte, Bryant, Kimbrel and surprising to me Max Sherzer. Guess the Nationals are packing it in. I would think that trading Max should bring a good return
johnfluharty

Anderson to wherever

Post by johnfluharty »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: Mediocre.  Only because he's no longer on the team.

We could have used his 'mediocrity' last night, and nearly every future night.  ;)

Nothing like nailing down number five when you don't have one through four LOL
Bobster21

Anderson to wherever

Post by Bobster21 »

645146464D7446464D4A46230 wrote: Mediocre.  Only because he's no longer on the team.

Sure. I don't disagree with you. And I don't say Anderson is mediocre as an insult. He was the best, most reliable starter the Pirates had. On a good staff, he's fine for a #5 if not possibly even a #4. On the Pirates, every other starter was below his level. And now the rotation is weaker without him. But in terms of his trade value, his new team is only guaranteed 2 months of his service and won't expect him to be their top starter. A couple low-A prospects seems about right.