Re: Holmes To New York

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

183239093E2828244B0 wrote: Quick look at those two makes me wonder how in the world we got either one of them for homes let alone both.
Really. This trade looks like highway robbery at first blush. So different from the Frazier trade, where I thought we didn't get enough.

One thing to keep in mind is that Park was removed from the Yankee 40 man roster on July 21 meaning anybody could have gotten him if they had a 40 man roster spot for him. Still if he keeps hitting this season he may have broken through. Could he be the Bucs version of Chris Taylor?

July 21: The Yankees formally selected Wojciechowski’s contract today and opened a spot on the 40-man roster by outrighting infielder Hoy Jun Park off the 40-man roster.

Park, 25, received just one plate appearance with the Yankees during his initial call to the Majors. Yanks fans have been clamoring for him to get a look in the big leagues after he batted .325/.475/.541 in 206 Triple-A plate appearances this season, but it seems that in spite of that strong showing, Park won’t get much of a big league look — at least for the time being.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: Here it is from MLBTRs

Holmes to the Yankees
Both infielders have done rather well in the minors. Not many expected Holmes to be traded, so this may become a very interesting week. With all these infielders coming on board, I think we have seen the end of Cole Tucker.
Obviously no one is shedding tears. Not even Shedman can be upset with this one
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6957525A4951515A7A5F485B0C3E0 wrote: Here it is from MLBTRs

Holmes to the Yankees
Both infielders have done rather well in the minors. Not many expected Holmes to be traded, so this may become a very interesting week. With all these infielders coming on board, I think we have seen the end of Cole Tucker.
Obviously no one is shedding tears. Not even Shedman can be upset with this one

If Tucker were making multiple millions of dollars, and he was released, Shed would be screaming bloody murder about a salary dump. Who cares that Tucker isn’t a major leaguer?
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Holmes was a 9th round pick in 2011 had a huge over slot pay day of $1.2 mil.

The Pirates were learning / working the angles back then . Same year , Josh Bell hit the jackpot at $5mil.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Folks may recall that the Pirates designated Holmes earlier this year and no one bit; thus he remained a Pirate. While I liked Holmes more than most, I like that BC has now added 3 players to audition for Frazier's position and hopefully allow the team to say bye-bye to Gonzalez.

In short, this is a no risk move with a potential upside.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This Yankees blogger is not too happy about the trade.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2021/07/26/yank ... -reliever/
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: This Yankees blogger is not too happy about the trade.

He called the Pirates "one of the worst organizations in all of sports"?  How dare he!  We're the only ones allowed to say that.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I realize this is a small universe of players, but it seems Holmes roomed with Cole their first training camp, and Taillon's called Holmes one of his "good buddies" in an interview.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

772137232C36262D2037052228242C296B26450 wrote: This Yankees blogger is not too happy about the trade.

He called the Pirates "one of the worst organizations in all of sports"?  How dare he!  We're the only ones allowed to say that.

I'd like a list of the other ones. Can't be very long. Might make me feel better.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

427760606B5260606B6C60050 wrote: This Yankees blogger is not too happy about the trade.

I'd like a list of the other ones.  Can't be very long.  Might make me feel better.
I'm guessing it's a short list. In the PG article about the trade I noticed this:

“Obviously we’re all really excited for him, and I think he’s excited,” Jacob Stallings said.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2107250221

It's a shame when your teammates are excited for you because you get to leave and play for a team where the games are meaningful. I suspect the goal of every Pirate is to get that same opportunity. They seem to know it won't happen as a Pirate. Even under the best case scenario if BC theoretically turns out to be some kind of savant in adding talent to the system, it still comes down to Nutting being willing to pay to keep players and supplement the roster with productive veterans as needed. And that's the giant roadblock. They want to leave and there is no incentive to stay.