Draft Signings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Draft Signings

Post by Surgnbuck »

6B5E4949427B49494245492C0 wrote: 12.5k?  Is that right?  $12,500.  Seems a little low, even by BOB standards.

The guy's got it made.  No matter what anybody says, BOB gets his.  :)
Reading his bio, he's a 5th year senior, and 23 years old. No matter who drafted him, it would probably have been a similar situation. He truly has nowhere else to go, unless he wanted to test the waters as an undrafted free agent or try overseas. IDK if he was ever drafted before either, and if he was and decided not to sign, that was his chance to get a bigger bonus.

I was being a little facetious.  I didn't know that bonuses were THAT low for drafted players.  I'm not up on those things.  You know how much I care about Suspects.  I would've thought bonuses in that range would go to non-drafted FAs.
I don't really follow this stuff either. I've said it many times, when they get here, then we can judge the draft. But I have to agree, that figure and the guy who got $7500 looks like the kind of numbers Steve Blass signed for
GreenWeenie

Draft Signings

Post by GreenWeenie »

We can theoretically judge another way..

If any suspect is dealt someday for a good player, then I would consider the draft selection to have been worthwhile.

The Rays felt good about Baz, for example. The pick was good. What happened after that? Not so much, for us.

Wish we could've reeled that one back. :(
SammyKhalifa

Draft Signings

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7B4E5959526B59595255593C0 wrote: We can theoretically judge another way..

If any suspect is dealt someday for a good player, then I would consider the draft selection to have been worthwhile.

The Rays felt good about Baz, for example.  The pick was good.  What happened after that?  Not so much, for us.

Wish we could've reeled that one back.  :(
Why? We just traded "suspects," right? We got an "established Big League Player."
GreenWeenie

Draft Signings

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yeah. Back then, I wasn't against the trade. At least I admit it. I liked that NH was aggressive, even though it was an overpay. In years past, we played the mid irons. We hit it into the deep creek. :(
SammyKhalifa

Draft Signings

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah me too. I thought it was a tad steep but but I liked Archer. (Just being a bit ornery today, heh.)

Still, every guy on every roster was just a prospect at one point.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Draft Signings

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

787073445277505F310 wrote: Put this all together:

1st Round: Henry Davis for $6.5 million ($1,915,300 under slot)

5th Round: Jackson Glenn for $12,500 ($409,800 under slot)

6th Round: Mike Jarvis for $7,500 ($307,900 under slot)

7th Round: Wyatt Hendrie for $177,500 ($67,400 under slot)

8th Round: Sean Sullivan for $175,000 ($17,900 under slot)

9th Round: Luke Brown for $72,500 ($89,500 under slot)

10 Round: Justin Meis for $127,500 ($22,000 under slot)

Money remaining for overslot deals: $2,829,800

Money remaining w/o losing a draft pick: $3,549,500

If it's not a typo, does anyone know why Mike Jarvis signed for so little?

No, not a typo. College senior=no leverage in negotiations. High schoolers have the most leverage, as they have the most options before them. If they choose not to sign, they're betting on themselves that they can get drafted higher after going to college. they have the most cards to play at the negotiations table. College seniors have no more cards to play. Teams can almost name their price to some extent.

Thanks. I didn't know he was a senior so what he signed for is understandable. But his bonus sure looks weird when compared to the others.
GreenWeenie

Draft Signings

Post by GreenWeenie »

51636F6F7B496A636E6B6463020 wrote: Yeah me too.  I thought it was a tad steep but but I liked Archer.  (Just being a bit ornery today, heh.)

Still, every guy on every roster was just a prospect at one point. 

This is true. The Archer trade issue's interesting to me. I was a member of another board. The overwhelming majority liked the trade for one reason or another. Maybe a handful said that the price for Archer wasn't worth it.

Over time, everyone says that they were one of those five! :)

It's like Spice Girls records or shopping at Walmart. No one will admit to it.

The Spice Girls sold millions of records and Walmart's parking lot is always full.

Every player was a Suspect, yes.

I care about them- mainly- when they become a Pirate.

We're in last place. We were in last place last year, too. I don't really care where most of THESE guys came from! :))))) Give me some other guys! ;)))))
Surgnbuck

Draft Signings

Post by Surgnbuck »

Pirates sign their 20th round pick, Brenden Dixon.
SammyKhalifa

Draft Signings

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"Pirates have signed second-round pick LHP Anthony Solometo. No $$ details available yet."
JollyRoger

Draft Signings

Post by JollyRoger »

Solometo was rated as the 17th prospect

The bonus for the 17th slot was $3.6M

So the Pirates actually saved $800K on what he was worth