Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Official Game Thread - 7/31 - Phillies vs. Pirates

Post by Surgnbuck »

Now need Brubaker to not give any back
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4E686F7A737F687E761D0 wrote: I see that Hoy Jun Park is on the 25-man roster so I assume he’s with the club.  Why isn’t he playing in RF instead of Polanco?  I don’t get it.  BC added a few players this week who can play right now.  So why is time being wasted on Polanco?

They seem to have a habit of bringing someone up for the first time and not playing him on the first day, maybe to just let him get acclimated by sitting the bench for one game.  Not sure it's really needed. Plus, Polanco is hitting 286 in July so they're not going to stop playing him.

But Polanco’s not the future.  It wouldn’t matter to me if he were hitting .486 in July, he’s not going to be here next year.  I get wanting to win games, but giving players who are going to be here an opportunity to get acclimated to Major League Baseball during a lost season should take precedence.

The question now is, do the Pirates chance Polanco playing himself into a $9.5 million player? That's the difference between picking up his contract versus buying out his contract. This is what we may be looking at. Do they feel at some point his throwing strength will come back? He had a pretty good arm before the shoulder injury.  If he were to hit his weight with some power, and his defense improved just from an improved arm, they may think so.

His buyout for 2023 is 1 million.

That’s too many “ifs” for me, especially for a player who’s been regressing since 2015. And he’s never been a good or reliable defensive player, even when his arm was healthy, so I wouldn’t expect him to suddenly be dependable out there. In addition, he’s too frail. I’m sure there are now better players in the organization who can take his place. Buy him out and move on.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

133E33222534236360510 wrote: I see that Hoy Jun Park is on the 25-man roster so I assume he’s with the club.  Why isn’t he playing in RF instead of Polanco?  I don’t get it.  BC added a few players this week who can play right now.  So why is time being wasted on Polanco?

They seem to have a habit of bringing someone up for the first time and not playing him on the first day, maybe to just let him get acclimated by sitting the bench for one game.  Not sure it's really needed. Plus, Polanco is hitting 286 in July so they're not going to stop playing him.

But Polanco’s not the future.  It wouldn’t matter to me if he were hitting .486 in July, he’s not going to be here next year.  I get wanting to win games, but giving players who are going to be here an opportunity to get acclimated to Major League Baseball during a lost season should take precedence.

That is what's so confusing. Polanco is playing because he's hitting. That's good for trying to win. But there are countless other games when it seems the worst possible lineup is used, or hot players are benched, or effective pitchers are lifted presumably because they are giving others a chance or resting players with no consideration of how it hinders the chance of winning in this lost season. The priority of winning seems to vary from game to game. 

Shelton has shown an aversion to being logical. We shouldn’t expect anything different as long as he’s here.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

42636B426961060 wrote: Oh my God!  Nogo makes a nice play at 1st and McKenry says he moves like a Puma!   [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif] [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

as long as he doesn't use Cheetah. That is taken by Stallings.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Three solid line drives in a row off Brubaker, loads them up when Newman almost got one, held all the runners to one station up
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Nola sac fly, Polanco a few years ago guy doesn't even try to run on him.

2-1 Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

walk loads them up......seen this Brubaker before.

Need one more out before the implosion
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Okay, not further damage.

2-1 Bucs Brubaker having a good night following Crowe's good night.

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well, thought Brubaker was on a pitch limit or something, but he's up to bat
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6A5F4848437A48484344482D0 wrote: HERE is a pitcher who's mediocre.
6IP 1ER 3H 2BB 4K

Looks pretty mediocre to me