Where Do We Place Henry Davis In Our System?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

6B6C7A727C6B2C20597E74787075377A7674190 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

yep, he changed the catching depth over a couple weeks of the season.

Yes, but some will tell you that it'll take 47 more years before the Pirates will win because of Cherington's kick-the-can-down-the-road plan, which is why he left a good Blue Jays organization to come here and intentionally fail.   ::)

I noticed most (all?) of those people were no longer commenting on Ben and the draft.  Silence can be really Loud sometimes. 

We all want the team to be competitive right now.  We all want the Pirates to be owned by someone who puts winning above profit.  So I'm not sure how anyone can think that competitiveness was going to happen within two seasons with the players who were in the organization, and with an owner who won't spend.  This organization is being built in the only way that's possible here:  through young talent acquisition.  We all knew that's what BC would do, so why complain when he doesn't do business like the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox?   

Agree 100%.

And when BC took over, it wasn’t just the major league team that looked hopeless, the farm was down and out.  I was as pessimistic as anyone even last winter. But I’m willing to rethink my position and even acknowledge when I’m wrong: I was wrong about Ben.  The guy is knocking it out of the park. 

What’s crazy to me is that, as you said, “we all want to win” but some people seem to take no joy where the organization is being very successful.  I think maybe some people would rather Nutting fail than have him get the benefits of others work.  Frankly, I actually get that. 

People are skeptical that any of this will translate over to the majors, and even if it does, we're all pretty sure Nutting won't be adding any free agent talent other than second tier talent when the team is ready for it to be added.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

626760666E647D60697A7C71080 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Yes, but some will tell you that it'll take 47 more years before the Pirates will win because of Cherington's kick-the-can-down-the-road plan, which is why he left a good Blue Jays organization to come here and intentionally fail.   ::)

I noticed most (all?) of those people were no longer commenting on Ben and the draft.  Silence can be really Loud sometimes. 

We all want the team to be competitive right now.  We all want the Pirates to be owned by someone who puts winning above profit.  So I'm not sure how anyone can think that competitiveness was going to happen within two seasons with the players who were in the organization, and with an owner who won't spend.  This organization is being built in the only way that's possible here:  through young talent acquisition.  We all knew that's what BC would do, so why complain when he doesn't do business like the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox?   

Agree 100%.

And when BC took over, it wasn’t just the major league team that looked hopeless, the farm was down and out.  I was as pessimistic as anyone even last winter. But I’m willing to rethink my position and even acknowledge when I’m wrong: I was wrong about Ben.  The guy is knocking it out of the park. 

What’s crazy to me is that, as you said, “we all want to win” but some people seem to take no joy where the organization is being very successful.  I think maybe some people would rather Nutting fail than have him get the benefits of others work.  Frankly, I actually get that. 

People are skeptical that any of this will translate over to the majors, and even if it does, we're all pretty sure Nutting won't be adding any free agent talent other than second tier talent when the team is ready for it to be added.
The criticism of BC is usually that he's not doing what some want him to do. He's not focusing on the MLB team. So some tell us that he is a terrible GM because his priority is not their priority. We'd all like to see the 2021 Pirates less awful. But BC punted on the season and focused on building up the talent in the minors. Whether he winds up as a good or a terrible GM will depend on how those moves turn out. Most who follow such things have given him high praise for what he's done at that level. But it's really too early to know. As more of those players become focal points of the MLB roster, we will see how well he has or hasn't done. But until then it doesn't make much sense to assess his performance based on the direction he did not go in while ignoring the area he made his priority.

Of course that doesn't mean we can't complain about the MLB team. I get what they're doing but they gave us such an inferior product to watch that they are going to have to endure the ire of their fans until it gets better.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

How long are fans expected to comment on any drafts? Most of us have complimented the Bucs/Ben on his selections and signings. I'm not sure it's any different from drafts in other sports/years. I don't even think about football selections about two days after the draft. Same with baseball. We make our thoughts known, then move on/back to the games at hand within a short time. That's how I took it. I didn't take the silence/lack of commenting to mean much of anything.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7770666E6077303C456268646C692B666A68050 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Agree 100%.

My anger in the past was directed at Huntington.  He failed over and over to acquire amateur talent, as he said he would do, to replenish the system as players reached free agency.  And then his poor decisions from the end of the 2015 season and beyond were what put this organization in the bad position BC found it in.  The only thing to do was to start over, one of the major reasons being what you indicated, the farm system being decimated.

I just don't understand how anyone can complain about what he's doing.  We all knew that was what he was going to do.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D5B4D59564C5C575A4D7F58525E5653115C3F0 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Agree 100%.

My anger in the past was directed at Huntington.  He failed over and over to acquire amateur talent, as he said he would do, to replenish the system as players reached free agency.  And then his poor decisions from the end of the 2015 season and beyond were what put this organization in the bad position BC found it in.  The only thing to do was to start over, one of the major reasons being what you indicated, the farm system being decimated.

I just don't understand how anyone can complain about what he's doing.  We all knew that was what he was going to do.

Ben's move just show how bad overall Neil turned out to be. Neil wasn't fired because of a couple poor seasons at the ML level. He was fired because the entire organization lacked talent.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

075147535C46565D5047755258545C591B56350 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Agree 100%.

The most hopeless and pointless season possible is to be playing for nothing. After 20 losing seasons it was critical the Pirates broke .500. Otherwise .500 is mediocrity and nothing to play for. I would be much more miserable this season if the Pirates were sitting at .500, wrestling with the Cardinals for 3rd place, safely behind the Brewers and the Reds.

This season isn't much, but its at least part of a long term plan that I think is the only possible chance to actually play for something.
rucker59@gmail.com

002627302636450 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Agree 100%.

Ben's move just show how bad overall Neil turned out to be.  Neil wasn't fired because of a couple poor seasons at the ML level.  He was fired because the entire organization lacked talent.

I don't think there is anyway the organization could have been in worse shape.
rucker59@gmail.com

635641414A7341414A4D41240 wrote: How long are fans expected to comment on any drafts?  Most of us have complimented the Bucs/Ben on his selections and signings.  I'm not sure it's any different from drafts in other sports/years.  I don't even think about football selections about two days after the draft.  Same with baseball.  We make our thoughts known, then move on/back to the games at hand within a short time.  That's how I took it.  I didn't take the silence/lack of commenting to mean much of anything. 

Apples and oranges. N Harris, the Steelers #1 pick is expected to not just start but be a key piece to the the 2021 team. Maybe a star. Other draft picks will have to step up THIS year. We all know baseball is fundamentally different. You can do one of two things: use FA to attempt a quick turn around; use the draft and trades to acquire talent to build a team over years.

Option two is our only option. Its easy enough to get a good player or two each year, but the accumulation of talent so as to be a good team three years down the road takes a lot more than talent than that.

What BC has done to accumulate talent is remarkable. Maybe none of it will develop, then everyone can complain. But he's not drafting N. Harris who everyone can see is ready to play now and possibly be a star. He's drafted Henry Davis who everyone thinks can be an MLB player but no one knows for sure, much less that he can be a star.

If you expected the Pirates to be competitive this year that's the same as you expecting BC to fail because it is literally impossible for him to succeed as you expect. So he's literally not concerned for your expectation.
rucker59@gmail.com

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Agree 100%.

The criticism of BC is usually that he's not doing what some want him to do. He's not focusing on the MLB team. So some tell us that he is a terrible GM because his priority is not their priority. We'd all like to see the 2021 Pirates less awful. But BC punted on the season and focused on building up the talent in the minors. Whether he winds up as a good or a terrible GM will depend on how those moves turn out. Most who follow such things have given him high praise for what he's done at that level. But it's really too early to know. As more of those players become focal points of the MLB roster, we will see how well he has or hasn't done. But until then it doesn't make much sense to assess his performance based on the direction he did not go in while ignoring the area he made his priority. 

Of course that doesn't mean we can't complain about the MLB team. I get what they're doing but they gave us such an inferior product to watch that they are going to have to endure the ire of their fans until it gets better.

Agreed. I do think most fairly serious fans are pretty excited.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It's been about 25 years that I've been commenting about the Pirates on the internet. It became evident long ago that there was no purpose to nag when others were finding little reasons for optimism.